Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Denso Alternator Pulley change
supercat

posted on 27/5/07 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
Denso Alternator Pulley change

Hi Chaps,

Hoping to try and fit the denso alternator onto my pinto tomorrow... question is what do I do about the pulley on the front? The pinto has the V belt, but the denso alt has a flat type pulley. Can you swap them?

Cheers, James

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 27/5/07 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
spookily enough i did the opposite,fitted a multirib belt onto the origainly v belted alternator,was the same diameter shaft,needed a washer or two to space it out

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

flak monkey

posted on 27/5/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Yep interchangeable 14mm shafts. As conrod said, might need a few washers though.

Some of them are keyed shafts, some arent, not that it makes much difference as long as you do the nut up properly as the pulley will be trying to tighten the pulley onto the shaft anyway.

David

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

supercat

posted on 28/5/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Ok... the denso shaft was a threaded 14mm... but my old alternator has a 17mm keyed shaft? Any idea what I can do or where I can get a pulley that fits in a hurry?! (This week!)

Cheers, James

pulleys
pulleys

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 29/5/07 at 07:32 AM Reply With Quote
you realise the pulleys are of different size

the max rpm of the alternator is 2x that of the engine (source: Haynes manual for lucas alternators nad prbably smae for others makes) so its pulley is 1/2 diameter to that on the crank.

Spinnig it too fast, especailly if you have a higher revving eninge, will casue it to fly apart; too slow and it won;t be charging.

I should have details of a man who can make a pulley out of aluminium to whatever dimensions you require, cost £30-40; if you need, I can try to find details if I still have them.,

flak monkey

posted on 29/5/07 at 07:35 AM Reply With Quote
With a larger pulley it will spin too slow, should still charge ok when driving, the charge light may just flicker when you are ticking over. Mine does this as I had to make a new pulley which was slightly larger than the old one. As soon as you come off idle its fine though.

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

Peteff

posted on 29/5/07 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Drill the pulleys.

Bolt them together and put the alternator on a bit further back

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

chriscook

posted on 29/5/07 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
I had a spacer made up to centralise the Vx pully on my denso alternator. Make sure you do the nut up TIGHT - mine came undone on one of my first runs out and lost the pully somewhere on the a423. Fortunately I had another - I then went and bought the strongest threadlock I could get.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.