Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: SVA - very worrying rumours
dozracing

posted on 29/5/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
SVA - very worrying rumours

Hi all,

A rare post from me, because i think this is very concerning for the industry, and i think we might need to take action on mass.

Had an SVA test today, and got talking to my friendly inspector about life the universe etc. He made some comments about his job and the state of VOSA that i find really concerning.

I think the Gillingham test station is one of if not the busiest station for SVA's in the country, mainly due to Caterham using it.

They have currently got 1 and half SVA inspectors, down from 6 in 2003. The half is about to leave, and apparently the pay is really bad as is the annual pay increase (0.5% this year) so they are all eaving for better paid jobs.

Apparently several of the stations are closed for SVA because of staff shortages, and others are closed for refurbishment.

More concerning than all this however is that VOSA is for sale. Its to be privatised, and apparently Mercedes are interested in buying it including the enforcement division.

I think its terrible that a motor manufacturer could have control over the testing of vehicles, and what will Mercedes care about kit cars? He was concerned that they would want to fit garages at each testing station selling servicing etc at the same time.

I'm going to forward this to the kit car press, as i feel that we should voice our opinion sooner rather than later, as its clear that the governement aren't going to tell us before it happens.

DG.

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 29/5/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
nice to see you back on the site.

flak monkey

posted on 29/5/07 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting, I knew there were problems but didnt know they were that bad...

Sera

http://www.motosera.com

amalyos

posted on 29/5/07 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought that all the government will do is sell the rights of the inspections to a private business.
The test requirements would still be set by the government.
Basically the Inspectors would be paid by someone else, but I bet the price goes through the roof.

http://stevembuild.blogspot.com

Fozzie

posted on 29/5/07 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
Well...after a 'quick' scan of the VOSA site.... all I could come up with is this...

VOSA press release linky

I am not sure, as it was a quick flit/read, but I don't 'think' it mentions/affects SVA's.........

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

joneh

posted on 29/5/07 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
Perhaps we could all chip in and buy it?

snapper

posted on 29/5/07 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Perhaps we could all chip in and buy it?

I was just thinking that.
As a Government Servant myself, these proposals are nothing new, first they make an area of Government and agency with the top man now a CE then they cut his budget thus the staff cuts at Gillingham from 6 to 1 1/2, then they try and outsource whats left. Those outsourced will think they are a bit protected by TUPI but will be squezed out.
I am sure if privatised the SVA tests will be conducted a bit like the MOT, a private company or garage having a nominated trained inspector. Then it will depend even more on local area interpretation of the rules.
One good thing to note is that they are doing a feasability study with a private sector comparitor, we have at least a year, probably 2.

[Edited on 29/5/07 by snapper]

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

Fozzie

posted on 29/5/07 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Snappers post has just reminded me.....

I should have mentioned, in my post, that at the end of the 'VOSA linky' in my above post, that there is a 'button' if you want to send comments with regard to the study/proposals ....

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

Agriv8

posted on 29/5/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Snapper,

My day job is bound by red tape so I too know how slowly the wheels turn. I must say the similarites between Maggie at he end and blair at the end were very similar.

Brake up / privatise / demoralise by front door or back door.

Will have a word with the Brother in law and see if I can get his thought's.

but rest assured the goverment will cook and spin the 'statistics' and this will prove why they have all our best intrests at heart !!!.

Round em up put em in a feild and bomb the bastard's.

Kind regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

WanchaiWarrior

posted on 29/5/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Snapper,

Round em up put em in a feild and bomb the bastard's.

Well, you lot have been complaining about this government for years now, but still "you" voted them in last time. WHat more can one say ???

Thank god I left 11 years ago.

RK

posted on 30/5/07 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Everybody complains about the government, wherever they are. But only people who vote get to do it; the rest don't count.

The privatising thing has gotten out of hand everywhere: our national police force hq has just agreed to move into a rental complex. What happens when the landlord does something wrong (not that that's ever happened, of course)?

It always costs more, but looks good in the short term: ie. prior to an election

speedyxjs

posted on 30/5/07 at 06:44 AM Reply With Quote
Any idea how much it is selling for?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

theconrodkid

posted on 30/5/07 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
just been talking to a HGV mechanic,he said that for years the test centers were in the firing line for privatisation ,could be a good plan as they may be more organised than the state run system tho prices may rise to make healthy profits

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

James

posted on 30/5/07 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
Think I might SVA my car again quicksharp... a 2nd v5 could come in handy for the next car!

[Edited on 30/5/07 by James]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

Agriv8

posted on 30/5/07 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Everybody complains about the government, wherever they are. But only people who vote get to do it; the rest don't count.

I agree but is there really that much diference between all 3. Would you trust any of them ?

PS I vote every time.

Regards

Agriv8

Taller than your average Guy !
Management is like a tree of monkeys. - Those at the top look down and see a tree full of smiling faces. BUT Those at the bottom look up and see a tree full of a*seholes .............

dozracing

posted on 30/5/07 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
My big worry is that we end up going the way of Europe and it becomes mega difficult to register a car at all. I can't see a private company or the government worrying too much about plight of the kit car industry. We are a bit of a nightmare for them at the end of the day.

One bit of legislation out of place and we are doomed unless we stand up and make a bit of a noise and show that we aren't as insignifcant as they think.

I have talked to Steve Hole this morning at Total Kit Car Magazine to see what he can come up with and see if we can make some noise in our defence.

DG

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.