Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: RWD SHIFTER
svr

posted on 29/5/07 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
RWD SHIFTER

Is it dificult to convert fwd to rwd gearbox - shifter connection?
How do you convert that linkage?
Is there any web site that can help?
Mojo looks too easy but for some reason I belive there is a twist.

StevieB

posted on 29/5/07 at 09:11 PM Reply With Quote
The most common route is to use the Ford Type 9 gearbox with a special bellhousing that makes the car RWD - as an example, Caterham use a bellhousing design that enables them to mate the tyoe 9 to the Rover K Series engine (and now the Ford Sigma too).

What engine are you using?

[Edited on 29/5/07 by StevieB]

oadamo

posted on 29/5/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by svr
Is it dificult to convert fwd to rwd gearbox - shifter connection?
How do you convert that linkage?
Is there any web site that can help?
Mojo looks too easy but for some reason I belive there is a twist.

do you mean rear engined and then run the gear stick to the front
adam

JoelP

posted on 29/5/07 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
yes, he means how do you connect a gear lever to an engine behind you when it is designed to be in front of you.
iank

posted on 29/5/07 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieB
The most common route is to use the Ford Type 9 gearbox with a special bellhousing that makes the car RWD - as an example, Caterham use a bellhousing design that enables them to mate the tyoe 9 to the Rover K Series engine (and now the Ford Sigma too).

What engine are you using?

[Edited on 29/5/07 by StevieB]

*cough* mid engine forum

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

iank

posted on 29/5/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Answer is it depends on the gearbox. If you use a cable change box (like post 94 mondeo's) it's not too bad. A rod selector is more trouble to get right as it usually has to go around or under. IIRC someone mentioned the Corolla shares a gearbox with the MR2 so is easy to adapt.

JC is in the process of engineered something on his blog which will works like the mojo selector. This would be using the ford iB5
Blog here -> http://www.mistrale.blogspot.com/

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

svr

posted on 29/5/07 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
I posted in mid engined forum.
Is it possible to use Mondeo post 94 gearbox and zetec z engine or even older CVH engine?
The idea is to use widely avalible stock engine that gives 125+ HP .
Opel or Vauxall 2liter engines produce 150hp - are their gearboxes operating with cables or rods.
Any advice on other models?
And do the car manufactures use cables or rods on some models or some prefer one thing over other?

Thanks

[Edited on 29/5/07 by svr]

RazMan

posted on 30/5/07 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
My MTX-75 box just required longer cables but I later changed to a rod linkage running from a Mondeo gearshift to a bell crank on the firewall, then swapping the action (back to front otherwise) using the standard cables running under the gearbox. The result is a nice smooth action with no slack. Rescued attachment Gear linkage.jpg
Rescued attachment Gear linkage.jpg

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Syd Bridge

posted on 30/5/07 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Morse Controls (Cables) used to do a shifter setup for a couple of production cars. The cables are available in all sorts of strengths, and lengths up to what would go around the car a couple of times.

Cheers,
Syd.

[Edited on 30/5/07 by Syd Bridge]

..::Nightfire::..

posted on 31/5/07 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
I have done it with a mini engine. The rod enters the rear of the engine next to the diff.

I rotated the selector,
removed the lift/stop for reverse (as it was now on the wrong side),
fabricated a bracket to the tension bar to keep the gearbox and selector equidistant at all times,
Welded a rod to the collar and ran it under the sump.

The moral of the story is to use a gearbox that uses cables!

kb58

posted on 31/5/07 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
I use two push-pull cables for my Honda-powered mid-engine Mini. The cables are from www.push-pull.com

Mid-engine Locost - http://www.midlana.com
And the book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/midlana/paperback/product-21330662.html
Kimini - a tube-frame, carbon shell, Honda Prelude VTEC mid-engine Mini: http://www.kimini.com
And its book - http://www.lulu.com/shop/kurt-bilinski/kimini-how-to-design-and-build-a-mid-engine-sports-car-from-scratch/paperback/product-4858803.html

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.