Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Networking identity, Win2k to Linux box
David Jenkins

posted on 30/5/07 at 03:02 PM Reply With Quote
Networking identity, Win2k to Linux box

I mostly use a Linux box running the latest UBUNTU release (feisty). I also have a couple of other boxes (1 antique tower box, 1 ancient laptop) that run Windoze 2000, for the very rare jobs where only real Windoze will do (and for running some legacy software). The laptop is mostly used for running Megajolt configuration software, which is Windoze only.

When everything is switched on, I can see the Win2K boxes from Linux and can get into their files simply by entering my userid and password for the box being accessed.

I can see the Linux box from both Windoze boxes, and when I click on it I get the 'enter user id and password' box, as expected. However, it doesn't recognise the info I enter. I suspect that I'm not entering the data in the correct format.

For example, assume that my Linux box is called 'linuxbox', my userid is 'fred' and my password is 'beetroot' (nothing like reality, I hasten to add!). On the Win2k box I open 'my local network' and click on the machine icon called 'linuxbox'. A message box appears asking for the userid and password for the target machine. If I enter 'fred' and 'beetroot' I get 'incorrect password or unknown userid for: \\linuxbox'.

What am I doing wrong? It's very annoying when I can make it work in the other direction!

cheers,
David

marktigere1

posted on 30/5/07 at 03:13 PM Reply With Quote
Long shot but you have set 'fred' up as a user on the Linux box?
britishtrident

posted on 30/5/07 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
Linux uses samba client to access Windows shares and Samba server to give Windows (and Samba client) users access to Samba shares. The imporant thing is that Linux users aren't Samba users and Windows users aren't samba users unless you create Samba ids for them and specify how they are to be authenticated

I am short time right now to try and explain how to go about it but to save hassles try this --- on the Windows Pcs down load and install WinScp and using that with your normal Linux ID and password.

http://winscp.net/eng/docs/introduction

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

gingerprince

posted on 30/5/07 at 03:24 PM Reply With Quote
You need to use smbpasswd to create a password for the user in Samba (this is separate to the normal Linux password).

man smbpasswd for the full details.

David Jenkins

posted on 30/5/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks! smbpasswd did the trick - dead easy to do as well!

Thanks to everyone else for their suggestions too.

David

David Jenkins

posted on 30/5/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
Big shame for me is that the Megajolt Configurator software almost runs using Wine under Ubuntu. The screen drawing goes screwy in just one view.

If I could get that to work then it would be curtains for Windoze on my old laptop as well.

britishtrident

posted on 30/5/07 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
I wonder if it would run under crossover office., I haven't had much luck with crossover except for MSWord and MS Excel which work a treat.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

bodger

posted on 30/5/07 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Get yourself the samba books from here (free pdf download) & work carefully through the troubleshooting section. That should have you sorted.
David Jenkins

posted on 30/5/07 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
No worries - I'm sorted enough now!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.