Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Size of Suziki Swift GTi engine and gearbox
liftarn

posted on 9/6/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Size of Suziki Swift GTi engine and gearbox

Hi!

I'm wondering if anybody have the dimentions of the Suziki Swift GTi twin cam engine and gearbox? I have seen if fitted in the front of a Mini and I was thinking about using it in a bullnose SAAB 96...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
goodall

posted on 9/6/07 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
how about staying with the longitudinal layout and use a audi V6 and gearbox? would mean less chassis mods...

or do you have your heart set on a suzuki engine?

CaptainJosh

posted on 9/6/07 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Brilliant engine, I have one in my garden destined for my locost

When it comes to power to weight ratio of an engine it doesn 't come much better than the suzuki gti engine ( unless you go bike engine of course )- and they still have loads of tuning potential.

I'd check www.16vminiclub.com forum for the dimensions of the engine AND gearbox.

-Josh

liftarn

posted on 10/6/07 at 08:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by goodall
how about staying with the longitudinal layout and use a audi V6 and gearbox? would mean less chassis mods...

If it was a longnose 96 I could do that (or the classic SAAB 900 turbo), but space is very limited in the bullnose 96.
This is how the 900-engine would fit in a bullnose 96:

Not very well...

I have been reccomended a longitudinal mounted SAAB 9000 Aero engine mated to a BMW 525 gearbox and rear axle. That would indeed require some major chassis mods (not to mention how wide wheel arches I'd have to get).

At http://www.lowbudgetrides.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69 you can see how a 900 engine can be made to fit in a longnose 96 (with the radiator in the trunk). It's a tight fit.

I'm not dead set on the Suzuki engine, but it has some major advantages. It's quite easy to find at reasonable prices (always a good point), it small (so it fits), it's low weight (so the car doesn't get front heavy) and the track width is quite simmilar (altough I probably need to modify the drive shafts anyway).

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
goodall

posted on 10/6/07 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
ah sorry to young too know there was a short and long nose 96

only other thing i could say is there the width in the bay for transverse between the chassis rail? http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=68069&contribmess age=none as you can see in the pics there the transverse bay is very wide when you see an engine mounted longitudinally

liftarn

posted on 10/6/07 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Well, the bullnose was replaced by the longnose in 1964 so it's not a recent model.

The 96 is wider than the Mini (1.57 m vs 1.40 m), but the wheel arches are quite wide. That's why it would be good to have the measurements.

(notice that the radiator is placed behind the engine)

I could ofcourse make a custom front frame, but that would make it more difficult.

Some people put the SAAB 99/OG900 spindles on the 95/96 wishbones so I could get brakes to match the engine.

The first SAAB, the 92 from 1949, actually had a transverse engine.

[Edited on 10/6/07 by liftarn]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.