Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Westfield Eleven
DIY Si

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
Westfield Eleven

Anyone know much about these? Always loved the look, and tuning the A series is a piece of wee. Especially when I have a garage full of bits. Having seen/read the story on Pistonheads, my interest has been re-kindled, but I can't find any prices, apart from those in said article for the anniversary edition.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

jos

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:18 PM Reply With Quote
EVO magazine built one recently

Theyve now sold it

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

kenton

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
I helped my girlfriends father build one in my workshop last year. I think the kit was about £11.000. If you are thinking of building i could find out more info/ give you his email.
kenton

DIY Si

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
If you could, that would be great! I'm mainly after views on it as a car. Building can't be that hard, but a rough idea of costs would be good too as i have to sneak this past the boss. I have found references to £9k for the kit, but you still need the donor gear on top of that.

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

StevieB

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I've been tinkering with the idea too - only thing that puts me off is the engine choice.

Would it be so wrong to put an R1 engine in it?

big_wasa

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:43 PM Reply With Quote
Gts do an 11

Grand for the budget kit and 2.6k for the delux

kenton

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
u2u sent with email address.
yes it was an easy build (compared to my rh 2b) but not totaly problem free!
Performance was good despite only a 1275 cc engine. Turning circle is poo due to the enclosed wheels, also no boot space for those essential items. Tony did a good job on his, 1st time sva pass. Have u2u his email.
kenton

DIY Si

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't know that GTS do one, will have to look into that. Any idea how it compares to the Westy?
Kenton, I've sent him an e-mail asking for any help/pics he can give.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

stevebubs

posted on 14/6/07 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
I didn't know that GTS do one, will have to look into that. Any idea how it compares to the Westy?
Kenton, I've sent him an e-mail asking for any help/pics he can give.

A friend owned the Triton/GTS original car and put it through SVA. Never really got it to handle properly and eventually sold it.

Not sure any more have managed to hit the road, although I think there's a builder lurking here somewhere.

DIY Si

posted on 14/6/07 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
Just had a look at the GTS Challenger, and it doesn't quite look "right" to me, so I may have to save up for the Westy version. It needs to have either a flat back or the Le Mans hump. It looks to be half and half. Not wanting to slate it at all, it just doesn't look as nice to me.
As for the handling, anyone know if it's been improved with the newer de-dion, or was there a more basic problem with it?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Trev D

posted on 14/6/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Mate, in the next couple of weeks I will be getting a 11 chassis jig up at my house, ready for my next project. If you fancy a chat about it and you fancy making your own chassis here we need to have a talk. Are you going to Newark if so se you there.

ATB Trev

DIY Si

posted on 14/6/07 at 10:14 PM Reply With Quote
That'd be good. I'd forgotten you had the jigs and were building one. I'm not sure I dare ask how much a shell would be though! Might also mean you get that A series book, or what's left of it, at last too!
What size tube is the jig for, as I'm not so hot at welding thin tube yet, as I've not had any real practice. Same goes for round tube actually.
Probably not going to Newark, not allowed out much at the mo.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Trev D

posted on 14/6/07 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hi mate, the tube is thin wall maybe a little tricky on the welding side if you've not had too much practice I'm sure we can work on that. Yes the shell would be rather expensive if this was done at work . We will get together after Newark and see whether you want to go down this route. If there is anything of interest on the eleven at Newark I will get as much information as I can for you. If you ask Westfields for anything technical on the Eleven they seem to know nothing and not been much use for me so far.
atb Trev

DIY Si

posted on 14/6/07 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
Mmm, probably best to meet up for a beer/cuppa and a chat then. I don't have the time, or the need, to weld much at all at the mo, so even my normal welding is probably a bit rusty. Not sure my welder would be up to so much delicate work either, as it's just a cheap hobby thingy. Make that it's just a bit rubbish. Even I can tell it's holding me back a bit. Anyway, we'll have to have a chat about it soon. Any idea when you'll be getting all the gear at your place?

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Trev D

posted on 14/6/07 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
I should be getting the jig hopefully next week end cuppa/beer sounds good. Will u2u when I get back from Newark with contact numbers etc.
atb Trev

DIY Si

posted on 14/6/07 at 10:32 PM Reply With Quote
Cool. Should go off to bed, the missus is calling!

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

donut

posted on 15/6/07 at 06:42 AM Reply With Quote
Could you build/buy a chassis from Trev D and buy a body from either Westfield or GTS, or better still buy the body and make the chassis fit it while building it?

Just a thought

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 15/6/07 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
The 11 is REALLY nice IMHO. My boss has a rusty MGB if you are thinking about findng the donor.

TC

DIY Si

posted on 15/6/07 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield say the shell comes already attached, but as to quite what that means I don't know yet. Ie it could be that some of the underpinnings are attached, leaving the main shell off, or the whole lots superglued in place. If the GTS shell looked a bit better I might go that route, but IMHO the westy shell looks so much better, much more original, which is what I'm after.
As for the donor, you're supposed to use a midget or sprite. Not too sure how using a mgb would fair. If it's doable, I'll just take apart the one sat in my front garden! However, I do like the idea of a nice classic 4 speed ( no synchro on 1st), and I know the A series really well. It's just a case of how much a spridget would cost, compared to what I could sell the MGB for.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

mconley3

posted on 15/6/07 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
ZERO RACING M11

I've had this site bookmarked for several years. It hasn't changed for at least 4 years. Never contacted them, so don't have any info other than the website.

Be interested to here more info on them if anyone calls them>

Tel: ( 01258 472861 ) for Zero Racing

http://www.angelfire.com/ak4/lotus/alexindex.html

Mark

StevieB

posted on 15/6/07 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
There's a couple of midgets on piston heads at the moment for about £500.

What sort of power can you get out of the 1275 engine then? Westfield are quoting 65bhp on their site for the XI, I assume that's standard?

And would it be feasible to fit a bigger A Series to the same gearbox without too much drama?

ChrisGamlin

posted on 15/6/07 at 05:40 PM Reply With Quote
Have you tried researching/asking on the WSCC forum?

DIY Si

posted on 15/6/07 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
65 bhp is stock for the midget. There isn't a bigger A series, the 1275 is the biggest stock engine, although it can be enlarged to 1500 ish, but lots of work is required, and it's not very reliable. You can get 100 bhp without much real effort, or supercharge it. There's also the Metro turbo gear if you want that too.

Sun Tzu, The Art of War

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.