Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: is there a different
goodall

posted on 23/6/07 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
is there a different

between a turbo for a petrol engine and one for a diesel engine?

would the wastegate be set up differently to allow more boost or anything?

been reading maximum boost and its really got me interested but i cant find much on the things im looking at on google to say different between the two

[Edited on 23/6/07 by goodall]

blakep82

posted on 23/6/07 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
diesels can't have a wastegate/dump valve, but i really don't know why... something to do with the way they're piped in

edit: forget that, it seems you can get them now. not sure why diesels were any different before though

[Edited on 23/6/07 by blakep82]

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

UncleFista

posted on 23/6/07 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
The dump valve is to dump excess boost when the throttle butterflys snap shut.
Diesels don't have throttle butterflys

Goodall, I was under the impression that diesel turbos aren't built to take the same high temps as a petrol turbo, probably wrong though...

[Edited on 24/6/07 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

worX

posted on 24/6/07 at 02:19 AM Reply With Quote
yes
no
good book isn't it?

Steve

robertst

posted on 24/6/07 at 03:56 AM Reply With Quote
i thought diesel turbos were set up for lower revs so they are designed to spool up at aroung 2000 rpm... thats why they're incompatible with gasoline engines because diesel turbos are designed to give max boost at around 3500 rpm, way too low for a gasoline engine...

Tom

Ivan

posted on 24/6/07 at 07:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by robertst
i thought diesel turbos were set up for lower revs so they are designed to spool up at aroung 2000 rpm... thats why they're incompatible with gasoline engines because diesel turbos are designed to give max boost at around 3500 rpm, way too low for a gasoline engine...

I think the engine revs that a turbo boosts at has little to do with the engine type but more to do with the exhaust gas volume and turbo configuration - so you have to look at the engine you want to fit it to and the boost profile you want - then select the right turbo combination to give the boost profile you want for that particular engine using flow charts for the turbos.

Almost certainly a turbo for a 2000cc diesel engine won't suit a 2000cc petrol engine. Although it might well work it is unlikely to be efficient and give the boostlevels desired and might well be working outside it's design envelope giving surge problems and overheating the inlet air.

Overall the turbo is the relatively cheap part of the turbo conversion and to get a turbo that gives even torque spread with minimal lag takes carefull and knowledgeable selection and is one of those things that should not be done on guess work.

A well selected turbo gives an engine that is a joy to drive with minimal lag and an even and awsome torque growth that is easily controled out of corners. A wrongly selected turbo is a pig to drive and will just continue give turbos a bad name with everybody who drives the car.

[Edited on 24/6/07 by Ivan]

oliwb

posted on 24/6/07 at 08:27 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
Diesels don't have throttle butterflys
[Edited on 24/6/07 by UncleFista]

How do you control how much air goes in the engine then? Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
iank

posted on 24/6/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
AFAIK you don't control the air, just the amount of fuel you inject.

Another difference (mentioned in a PPC article I don't have to hand) is diesel turbos melt if put on a petrol engine.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

matt_claydon

posted on 24/6/07 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
On a diesel you get a full cylinder of air for every stroke, you just vary the amount of fuel you put in.

Unlike petrol, diesel will burn with a very wide range of air/fuel ratios so this strategy works. With petrol you need the mixture to stay around 14.7:1 and so you restrict the amount of air going in when you want to put less fuel in.

This is one of the main reasons diesels are so efficient at part-power compared to petrol.

Edit: Petrol will burn at leaner mixtures, but it won't ignite by spark. Clever people are working on 'stratifed charge' engines where the mixture around the spark plug is 14.7:1 and then gets progressively leaner towards the outside of the cylinder.

[Edited on 24/6/07 by matt_claydon]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.