Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: brake bleeding
stretch

posted on 2/7/07 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
brake bleeding

i raised my master brake cylinder a bit to give me more leverage when braking

problem is now i disconnected the pipes from the master cylinder - so prob. some air got into the pipes there i assume

question now is, bleeding them will basically mean moving that little air gap all the way thru the brake lines.

is there an easy way of getting this sorted out?

maybe pushing fluid up from the wheels into the master cylinder?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 2/7/07 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Moving the master cylinder? I presume you mean moving the pivot point of the pedal / m/c ?

Air has to be simply pushed out by the age-old method of pumping the pedal while having a bleed hose on the caliper. If you pump it until fresh fluid appears in the tube you will have made sure that the system is free of air. I normally use .5 litre on a major system overhaul.
The Eezibleed system works for some people but personally I hate it - using compressed air from a spare tyre fails to get all the air out and the pedal needs to be pumped hard to expell all the trapped air imo.

[Edited on 2-7-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 2/7/07 at 01:49 PM Reply With Quote
as above - it needs to bled the conventional way.

I do use the easibleed device, but not actually how it's intended - I still lock off the nipple every pump, just as it is done with a straight hose into fluid.

Steve

greggors84

posted on 2/7/07 at 07:44 PM Reply With Quote
I read in PPC magazine a tip about getting air pockets out of the lines.

It said, pump the brakes until hard, then go round opening and locking off the nipples in turn.

Thats all its said, maybe repeat a couple of times then bleed in the conventional way as said bleed until new fluid comes through.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

stretch

posted on 3/7/07 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
sorted

so, as i said before i knew that all the lines were full off fluid, just airpockets at the MS

i loosen'd all the connection on the MS and gave it a few pumps (a bit messy) pumped till each one squirted out fluid

tightened then and went for a test drive
- its now doing 4 wheel slides when slamming on the brakes with just moderate effort

in the end the problem was just that there was air in the MS from removing it and putting it back again

RazMan

posted on 3/7/07 at 07:04 AM Reply With Quote
stretch - I would strongly recommend that you bleed the calipers too! I once made the mistake of reconnecting my clutch m/c without a 'proper' bleed - my clutch failed about two weeks later due to an air pocket reaching the slave cylinder and it needed bleeding to restore it.
You can't take any chances with brakes

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

stretch

posted on 3/7/07 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
jipjip

yes, i agree - figured as much, just didn't really feel like it last night

i should hopefully get to it over the weekend

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.