Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: rear suspension flaw ?
jaylatti

posted on 2/7/07 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
rear suspension flaw ?

Ive recently read in a previous post about a flaw in the design of the mk rear suspension. Is this a real problem or just bull as i dont want to (quote) end up in a ditch . I know the MK has nowhere near the development as a caterham for example ....

[Edited on 2/7/07 by jaylatti]

jaylatti

posted on 2/7/07 at 10:52 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, so what is the problem with the rear set up ??
MikeR

posted on 2/7/07 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
if you do a search its covered there.

As i recall its something like on full deflection of the suspension it gives toe in / out or something that can upset the car.

most people with the car don't seem to have a problem with it. I believe Martin Keenan has modified some peoples chassis by removing and welding on new rear brakets.

As i said, do a search, this is all from memory, its late and i don't own a MK.

zxrlocost

posted on 2/7/07 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Depends on what you call a flaw, going round a bend very fast you will most likely find your limits before the car finds its limits.

Chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

zetec

posted on 3/7/07 at 05:52 AM Reply With Quote
In 6000 miles I've never noticed the problem and I have been known to push it at times. Must be my driving skill... Or the fact I dont know my arse from my elbow .

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

Avoneer

posted on 3/7/07 at 06:06 AM Reply With Quote
And yet no one mentions the Avon?

Same scenario as the MK, but more amplified.

Pat...

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mad Dave

posted on 3/7/07 at 06:52 AM Reply With Quote
The top wishbone bracket is a little high therefore when the suspension compresses from max extension, initially the wheel goes into positive camber but returns to negative when compressed further. The can be observed of you jack the car up and remove the shock. But, when the car is sat at ride height the movement of the geometry is such that it will provide negative camber for the remaining travel. Obviously, going round a corner the body will roll so you will see positive camber while stood track side. This is why some track cars run approx 3 degrees of negative camber to allow for this. It’s not wise to have so much camber gain that the wheels are more or less 90 degrees to the road surface when cornering.

For road and track use if the car is set up as well as it can be, you should not have a problem.

Just for the record, the new Indy has completely new suspension geometry. I should know, I designed it. I have not really explained in detail to MK what the differences are, so maybe it’s my fault that when asked they don’t know exactly what to say.

TimC

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
Personally... I can't really see the point in buying an original Indy any longer. You now have the Haynes Roadster which, lets face it is a very similar car minus the rear suspension flaws, being made down the road by Mr Indy himself.

Am I wrong?

Peteff

posted on 3/7/07 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I think I found my cars flaw and reached its limit

Yes but the bar wasn't set very high was it? I don't think you need "testicles" to type what you think on a forum or to take pictures then post them up after you've got home and call someone's product a pile of poop. I've seen TVR chassis with worse welds than that and how much did they go for? I'm not slagging or sticking up for anybody but I will say I've been in an old style Indy and it would take some doing to exceed it's limits under normal road conditions and nothing fell off or broke I've also bought stuff from GTS and got it in reasonable time without complaining and bought from MK, MNR, Lolocost and helped build a MAC#1 without any cause for complaint. I like my opinions, that's why I keep them to myself most of the time.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

TimC

posted on 3/7/07 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
I'm not in this for the argument. It was merely an observation - I tend to use my testicles for other activities.

For what it's worth though, having tried to chase Caterhams and even a well set-up Locost through the bends on-track, the flaw is certainly noticeable and detrimental to progress.

That's not to say that I didn't really like my Indy because I did. On road it was very good fun.

Hellfire

posted on 3/7/07 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Mad Dave has explained it perfectly and unless you're racing competitively, any issues with the rear suspension aren't a problem.

Our Indy has never been set-up professionally and to date we haven't noticed any problems in relation to the rear suspension on trackdays.

Then again, maybe it's because we don't drive it hard enough............

Phil

SeaBass

posted on 3/7/07 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaLviNx
I'm going to Donnington kit car show and if anyone wants to discuss any matter with me without anyone thinking I hide behind a forum, I will be happy to reiterate anything face to face, so please, please u2u me and I will meet anyone who wishes to talk without hiding behind a forum......

So who's going to meet up at Donnington then......

Your coming across as way too aggresive there Mark for a friendly car forum IMHO...

Peteff

posted on 3/7/07 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
What's antsy?

and who's getting it?

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Paul G

posted on 3/7/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
Your coming across as way too aggresive there Mark for a friendly car forum IMHO...

that makes a change.....

Peteff

posted on 3/7/07 at 02:39 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you need "testicles" to type what you think on a forum or to take pictures then post them up after you've got home and call someone's product a pile of poop.

This is what I wrote, you read into it what you thought I meant. Something you often point out that others are doing with your posts. I don't accuse anyone of "brain farting" whatever that is or not having testicles, I don't see the need on a forum. I will not be going to Donington, I haven't been for the last two years even though it is local for me as I don't like the way Limelight have changed it from the way it used to be. I hope you enjoy the show.

yours, Pete

mad-butcher

posted on 3/7/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
Back to the original question, I beleive there is a problem with the original rear suspension geometry but we have never found the limit yet, If you want to send me your address I will gladly send you a copy of the onboard video of the blade at the last trackday at Aintree (it's too big to send on the net)
Like Hellfire it's never been professionaly setup just very carefully checked and adjusted (corner weights, bumpsteer etc)
Regards
Tony

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 3/7/07 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Bringing this back on topic: supose someone with an old Indy chassis wanted to 'fix' their sus. geometry, what would they need to do?
ASH3

posted on 3/7/07 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
There is nothing to fix, mine is superb and has been from day 1 she was sva'd in 2002 and drives has good as new to this day and behaves both on the track and road i suggest this post should be deleted cause im gettin cheesed off with it and with some of the unwanted comments now we are all kit car luvers but some on here are just nit pickers

"I have tried to refrain from commenting but when it comes to meeting at shows face to face to debate such matters then i draw the line. I will be at Donington but have no desire to meet such folk or welcome them on to our club pitch whoever they maybe"

DRC INDY 7

posted on 3/7/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
just for the record mr indy or as we call him martin keenan does not have anything to do with or build the chassis for the haynes roadster anymore

ps why does it bother you i mean you were quick to jump in at the begining of the thread you made your point weeks ago now it just gets boring

[Edited on 7/3/2007 by DRC INDY 7]

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

snoopy

posted on 3/7/07 at 10:13 PM Reply With Quote
i agree why keep going on about it if the indy isnt perfect then neither are all the indy clones aswell that includes a lot of names as the indy chassis has been cloned to death by many companies in various countries so there all the same so why not go tell some of them ?

also the indy was born out of a modded locost chassis not computer designed it was originaly a live axle then de dion before becomming the indy and if it only has one flaw then hasent it done well

perhaps mk should rename there new model to the mk indy and put the de dion axle back on the existing indy model this then cures any rear irs related problems and would make a superb car as it was originaly like this
mk bike 1
mk bike 1

[Edited on 3/7/07 by snoopy]

TimC

posted on 4/7/07 at 06:39 AM Reply With Quote
Snoopy - what you say makes a lot of sense.

Sounds like MK could do with your clarity of thought.... Oooops! (their loss!)

A couple of questions around people's perception of performance:

1. To those who say that they encounter no problems on track, doesn't it frustrate when the Caterham Academy car (for example) in front pulls away in the turns?
  2. I see that the 4-Age powered Indy performed pretty well in 750MC kits at Pembrey. Does anyone know if he's running a standard rear set-up?

I don't expect to upset people as I have no axe to grind but I find this an interesting subject.

Wadders

posted on 4/7/07 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Tim

Trouble is how do you compare one car to another, especially with a different person drivingl? maybe the caterham was set up better or had £1500 worth of nitrons on, maybe the driver was better etc etc, so many variables.
When i used to do motorbike Trials
a guy would turn up now and again on an ancient Tiger cub, and beat 95% of the field, many running brand new lightweight bikes 30 years newer (this was 1996)
I'm not saying the flaw's not a problem, and maybe your a good enough driver to appreciate it was holding you back, but i bet for 95% of the people who have one, its not a problem.
I guess the only way to compare is by testing Top Gear style, same driver, same track.
does anyone know the Stig?

Al.

Originally posted by TimC

A couple of questions around people's perception of performance:

1. To those who say that they encounter no problems on track, doesn't it frustrate when the Caterham Academy car (for example) in front pulls away in the turns?
  2. I see that the 4-Age powered Indy performed pretty well in 750MC kits at Pembrey. Does anyone know if he's running a standard rear set-up?

I don't expect to upset people as I have no axe to grind but I find this an interesting subject.

[Edited on 4/7/07 by Wadders]

TimC

posted on 4/7/07 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
Your argument is of course a perfectly logical one. An Academy car is by it's very nature a basic spec Caterham. That said, they are usually very well set up.

There's no way that I can prove my hypothesis to you but it remains my belief.

I'm going to move on now....

oliwb

posted on 4/7/07 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
This is all fair enough if you've got one already, but what if your a new builder?
Why would you buy something that has a known flaw in it whether you'd push it that far or not. The fact that the matter seems to get swept under the carpet is alarming. MK seem to be trading on there good reputation (from what I saw at newark). People should be alerted to the indy's flaws and their lack of development. Its a bit like tiger at the moment they are standing still and being overtaken by the competitors such as mac1 and mnr. Its an open market and people shouldn't be swayed and deleting the thread thus preventing ppl from learning of mk's short comings will only serve to support their lack development and wont help anyone in the long run....Oli.

If your not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room!

snoopy

posted on 4/7/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Why would you buy something that has a known flaw in it whether you'd push it that far or not

people still buy mac 1,s luegos derman motorsports cars and many others all with the same flaw as the indy and mk have developed a new chassis which is computer designed and perfect dont think this is standing still doing nothing as said the indy is a compromise from a locost chassis if you want perfection i suggest everyone thinking of building or ordering orders the new chassis

<<  1    2    3  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.