Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: insuring a remapped car
ned

posted on 24/7/07 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
insuring a remapped car

Bit of an issue in that I believe my car insurance to be too expensive (doesn't everyone).

I've used confused.com and have always declared the vehicle as chipped (vw 1.9tdi 115bhp) even though it's technically not, but remapped via the odb2 port.

Only 2 insurers from confused.com come back with quotes as none of the other 'main stream' insurers seem to allow modifications.

What other options/insurers are there? Its only a standard se spec vw bora diesel, remapped from 115 to approx 140bhp.

It seems a bit OTT to use a modified car/hot hatch insurer, what do other people with remapped diesels do (apart from not declare them!) It's been declared the last 2 years on my policy so can hardly tell them it's not there anymore and no I don't want it mapped back to standard which I know most places will do for nothing.

Any helpful suggestions appreciated.

cheers,

Ned.

[Edited on 24/7/07 by ned]

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dan__wright

posted on 24/7/07 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
give HIC or Adrian flux a call, very understanding and very helpfull.

i have even had quotes for a modded car chaped than my car in standard form on confused.com

FREE THE ROADSTER ONE…!!

rayward

posted on 24/7/07 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
have you tried A Plan insurance, on a lot of their policies they allow modifications for no extra cost

hth

Ray

graememk

posted on 24/7/07 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
never thought about telling my insurance to be honest............woops

ned

posted on 24/7/07 at 01:47 PM Reply With Quote
on phone to adrian flux now..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RazMan

posted on 24/7/07 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think that remapping can be considered a modification. There is no change to the hardware and granted you will probably make a bit more power than standard but does that mean that a retuned carbed engine should be considered as modified too?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

Danozeman

posted on 24/7/07 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
I would phone round some normal insurers and explain whats been done. I think youl lfind alot of them will still take you on.

A remap isnt as easy to find as a chip so i wouldnt bother telling them.

When i was with CIS i had lowered my car with different wheels etc and performance exhaust and airfilter and never told them. Crashed it and they fixed it no bother and replaced the chavved bit with chavved bits no questions asked.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

ned

posted on 24/7/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
I rang the first two insurers from confused explaining that it wasn't chipped and whata remap is but the line is 'is it performance enhancing?' then all their call centre girls could do is read off the list of allowed things like towbar, sunroof, wheels and stereo to a certain value.

Adrian flux have bettered the renewal price by £80 but may try a couple of others before I go with it.

cheers for the help guys..

Ned.

chockymonster

posted on 24/7/07 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I insured my Evo through PaceWard clicky

They deal with all types of modifications and are very reasonable. They're not a hot hatch insurer but arrange cover to suit you.

As for whether you should declare it, if you car's specification has deviated from how it left the factory then you are duty bound to inform them. If it's been remapped/chipped then it has a higher performance level and is a higher risk. If you crash and they find out that you haven't declared a modification then you could be in serious hot water.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

Toady1

posted on 24/7/07 at 02:43 PM Reply With Quote
thing is tho its been re-mapped...not chipped, so wheres the evidence of it being modified?
iank

posted on 24/7/07 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toady1
thing is tho its been re-mapped...not chipped, so wheres the evidence of it being modified?

They could (assuming it's not been destroyed) pull the map out of the ECU and compare it with the factory map.

They would only go to that kind of effort if they suspected it had been remapped. Unfortunately in this case having declared the modification on previous policies it could trigger some forensic work if you were in an accident.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Daimo_45

posted on 24/7/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, what part of Guildford do you live in? I live in Guild too.
UncleFista

posted on 24/7/07 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
A friend of mine had his Golf nicked and burned out, he'd stuck some VW alloys on it at some point and insurers used it as an excuse not to pay out !

Be careful...

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

jollygreengiant

posted on 24/7/07 at 05:08 PM Reply With Quote
My doner car was a 2.0efi Granada with a full Dealer RS body kit. I went for an insurance quote and said it had the original full dealer RS body kit, so the insurers said 'ah modified then.' .
To which I replied 'OK I'll take it all off then.'.

Insurers said 'Yes OK that will make it modified as well.'

Bang head against wall until pain goes away.

Next time I asked for a quote I just ignored the body kit.
'Oh I thought that was standard on the Ghia models.' if anyone ever asked.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

blakep82

posted on 24/7/07 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
my dad did a quote on his car with confused.com, came back at £600 with norwich union. went to norwich union website, same details, tey said £300.

there's a moral in there somewhere

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

martyn_16v

posted on 24/7/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
I'd give Brentacre Insurance a go, I used to insure my heavily modified Golf with them. They're just a couple of really nice blokes in a diddy office, so no dim call centre staff somewhere on the other side of the planet (although they are Welsh ) and they know their stuff so you won't have to spend half an hour patiently explaining what a remap is. Good policies too, no admin charges if you happen to make any more mods or changes to the policy, and they consistently piddled all over any other quote I ever got.

01792 650933 John or Kerry

Chippy

posted on 24/7/07 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Ned, my tin top, Citreon Xsara 2ltr HDI, ECU has been flashed, now 140 bhp plus now 55mpg against 47. I have not, and will not, inform my insurer's. And if anything was ever said, then "it must have been done by the previous owner, and how the hell would I know that it had been". But honestly how would they tell. If you were unlucky enough to have a shunt, they only check the damage, they don't do an engine analasis (spelling). Cheers Ray
ned

posted on 25/7/07 at 06:36 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe when I change cars I may do things differently but for now as it's previously been declared I'll continue to do so.
On the bright side I have now got the quote down as cheap as the confused.com quotes with the declaration and unlimited milage and saving over £120 on my renewal so I'm now a happier bunny

ChrisGamlin

posted on 26/7/07 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ned

I always insured the car with Privilege, they simply load the policy by the percentage of the power increase, so I told them the power was about 145bhp so it increased the premium by about 15% from ~£300

It could be considered "chipped" though as the Upsolute remap via the ODB2 port was an extra £80 (royalty fee) at the time, so Simon at CCCTech did a physical reprogram of the chip which entailed unsoldering it, then resoldering after reprogramming in an eeprom writer.

Chipped / remapped is all the same to the insurer anyway though, all they are interested in is if it gains power, and if so, how much.

Chris

rgr33n

posted on 27/7/07 at 12:38 PM Reply With Quote
mine's not remapped but has other mods. insured via a-plan. considerably cheaper than other quotes!
remap may well follows in the next few months though

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.