Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Turbo 1.8 Kseries Engine in the chassis update
stevec

posted on 4/8/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Turbo 1.8 Kseries Engine in the chassis update

I have now got the engine and box and propshaft in the chassis,
See pics.
Have used a Caterham short sump and pickup pipe with a baffle plate.
Air filter will have to live in the passenger footwell fed by a duct in the side panel but at least I can get cooler air intake temps.
Just the plumbing and wiring and fiddly bits to do.

Steve.

graememk

posted on 4/8/07 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
that will make a nice roar in the passenger side footwell lol

cant you feed it into the tunnel ?

clockwork

posted on 4/8/07 at 01:33 PM Reply With Quote
Why don't you push the airfilter up and through the scuttle?
Just a thought.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin.
"Well if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" Morons the world over.

Locost/Kit builders info and FAQ website:- www.carbuilders.info

graememk

posted on 4/8/07 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
yeah and a k and N style filter where the battery should be

stevec

posted on 4/8/07 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
I am thinking that to get cooler air will be the best way to go as the under bonnet air very warm wherever you take it from.
I want to put the battery in the footwell aswell.
The blue hose will be cut to minimal length and a K&N filter fitted. I have to shoehorn a intercooler in aswell somewhere, maybe on the scuttle.
Steve

philipjn

posted on 4/8/07 at 02:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

I am new here and I am building a Locost with a K series 1.6 and I need a few pointers, got my bell housing (from QED) yesterday, already have type 9 box, engine is already out of donor ready to be cleaned, chassis was bought as an unfininshed project of ebay and needs a bit of a cleanup this uses a full sierra rear assembly. Anyway some questions:

1. Were did you get the engine mounts from?

2. What wiring loom did you use as I am assuming one from a Rover 75, and if so was it difficult? As I have already took the loom out of the donor and will be staring at wiring diagrams soon

3. How much did you pay for that engine as I want to put one in the next locost I build.

Thanks,

Phil

stevec

posted on 4/8/07 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philipjn
Hi Steve,

I am new here and I am building a Locost with a K series 1.6 and I need a few pointers, got my bell housing (from QED) yesterday, already have type 9 box, engine is already out of donor ready to be cleaned, chassis was bought as an unfininshed project of ebay and needs a bit of a cleanup this uses a full sierra rear assembly. Anyway some questions:

1. Were did you get the engine mounts from?

2. What wiring loom did you use as I am assuming one from a Rover 75, and if so was it difficult? As I have already took the loom out of the donor and will be staring at wiring diagrams soon

3. How much did you pay for that engine as I want to put one in the next locost I build.

Thanks,

Phil

Phil.

I made the engine mtgs myself, I made wooden patterns then made them from steel. The rubber mtgs are the same as Caterham use but I got them for half the price by finding out what they also fit.

The loom is the Rover car engine loom and I have modified to convert to my car.
The ECU is a special and has no antitheft stuff in it.

Try and get a Caterham sump if you can they give really good ground clearance.
I think "CM" from this site had one for sale.
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your build.
Steve.

philipjn

posted on 4/8/07 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I have already bought the sump and Stainless steel manifold from CM a few weeks ago , Wow you made them mounts yourself, do you still have the plans on how to make them? Also what rubber mtgs did you use and were did you get them?

Regards,

Phil

stevec

posted on 4/8/07 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by philipjn
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I have already bought the sump and Stainless steel manifold from CM a few weeks ago , Wow you made them mounts yourself, do you still have the plans on how to make them? Also what rubber mtgs did you use and were did you get them?

Regards,

Phil

You would be best to make the mountings to suit your own car, there tends to be slight differences.

LINK to mountings

Steve.

philipjn

posted on 4/8/07 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks a lot Steve you've been a great help.

Regards,

Phil

Hammerhead

posted on 4/8/07 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
looks great steve, wish I went for the adapted bellhousing instaed of the caterham jobby.

Phil, you may need the longer input shaft type9 from a v6 capri or sierra, you then need to trim 12mm off it to make it fit with a spigot bearing from caterham. Good luck, it's not the easiest installation.

The k series brotherhood is growing!! KEC's (we must be mad!)

philipjn

posted on 8/8/07 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Hammerhead,

I got a type 9 from a two litre sierra and a bellhousing from QED Motorsport that fits on a short type 9, it came with a rover starter motor spacer and some bolts. My engine will be getting mounted soon but I need a little help with the mounts (again), I bought the mounting rubber that Steve recommended but I need some help with the engine mount design (a picture or drawings would be ideal just to show me how they are made) sorry about the stupid question, hope you guys can help.

Phil

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.