Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: On Line Specs
RazMan

posted on 6/8/07 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
On Line Specs

My glasses need to be upgraded to a new prescription so I thought I would have a look in the high street shops (Vision Express & Specsavers) and see about getting new lenses fitted.

I was quite shocked at the cost (about £300) so I'm thinking about some of the on-line companies. They seem to offer very good prices but do you get a good product?

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 6/8/07 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
in general like evrything you get what you pay for either in quality or service.

mookaloid

posted on 6/8/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
I've wondered about this.

I found some internet prices for the specs I wanted and used the prices to beat down the high st optician.

I got to within £20 of the internet price and was happy with that - I have had to take the specs back to get them adjusted and have a new screw fitted (free of charge) all at no extra charge.

So make the internet work for you is what I say

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

BenB

posted on 6/8/07 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
Don't see why not!!! After all, the measurements are standardised...

I got some new lenses put in when out in Thailand. Optician was a super chap. Even unbent the frame were I'd squashed it. Cheap as chips too Shame the GF knelt on them three weeks later and smashed them to hell and back.... Still, you know what they say about no wife ever killing her husband whilst he was doing the washing up

RazMan

posted on 6/8/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Another question - is there a locoster's way of putting a tint on an existing pair of glasses? I found an old reading pair that is about right for my present distance prescription - they would be ideal for driving and I need a pair of sunglasses. (I'm such a cheapskate sometimes)

[Edited on 6-8-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
joolsmi16

posted on 6/8/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
specs

I use www.glassesdirect.co.uk.

First class and cheaper than high street not as much choice but with the saving you can get a spare pair for the garage.

Jools

Confused but excited.

posted on 6/8/07 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
I once made the mistake of going to Vision Express. Couldn't see staight. Went back to my old optician, who went balistic. The VE prescription was a mile out.
He sorted out new specs for me gratis and said he would get the money back off them himself.
I find you get better service off an individual practitioner.
As for the price of frames.......
They are all made in one of three factories in Europe at a cost of a few quid. Incuding the so called 'designer' ones.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

UncleFista

posted on 6/8/07 at 05:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have no personal experience, but www.optical4less.com in Hong Kong get glowing recommendations on usenet...

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Peteff

posted on 6/8/07 at 05:58 PM Reply With Quote
My glasses from Specsavers were £38. She showed me some of the expensive ones and I nearly collapsed I told her I'd rather give up reading and she realised I was a lost cause.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

big_wasa

posted on 6/8/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I found Tesco to be very good
RazMan

posted on 6/8/07 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by UncleFista
I have no personal experience, but www.optical4less.com in Hong Kong get glowing recommendations on usenet...

Great link! Looks worth a go at their prices.

Cheers,
Raz

Castrol Dave

posted on 7/8/07 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Quote:
Another question - is there a locoster's way of putting a tint on an existing pair of glasses? I found an old reading pair that is about right for my present distance prescription - they would be ideal for driving and I need a pair of sunglasses. (I'm such a cheapskate sometimes)
----------------------------------

How about asking for some free samples from a company that sells glass film for conservatories. say that it needs adhesive though

Happiness is a state of mind...

If your not happy...change your mind.

BenB

posted on 8/8/07 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RazMan

[Edited on 6-8-07 by RazMan]

Drive behind a diesel car in a Locost for a few miles.... Instant tint

RazMan

posted on 8/8/07 at 11:20 PM Reply With Quote
Update:

I just ordered a pair of top of the range varifocals with photo reactive tint for a QUARTER of the UK high street price!
www.optical4less.com

£115 including delivery - I reckon that's a stunning deal.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys

[Edited on 8-8-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

Mark H

posted on 9/8/07 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Yes, go to an opticians with a fitting lab, they do the tints in there, eg dolland and aitchison (used to work there back in the day).

They wont like to do it (3 reasons, 1 they cant sell you high priced new lenses; 2 any little scratches show up, ie they are more porous so the scratches do darker; 3 risk of them breaking your frames esp if plastic) but take them in and offer £20. Someone will do it!!

Mark Harrison and
Q986 KCP back from the dead...

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/8/07 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
my wife used to be an optical glazer and the crazily inflated costs associated with lens cutting and framing of glasses would make you vomit, im just glad its an expense i don't have to worry about (yet)

apparently for polycarb lenses with the works (coatings etc) and the most expensive frames available. the purchase cost is in the region of £25, with the retail price at around £500

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

RazMan

posted on 9/8/07 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds about spot on with my comparisons - the same specs that I bought for £115 would have cost over £400 at places like Vision Express.

To add insult to injury I was told that to reglaze my existing frames wasn't viable and they insisted that new frames were required. When I originally bought the (very expensive) frames they were recommended as practically indestructable

Cheers,
Raz

RazMan

posted on 23/8/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
Update:

I got my new specs from HK today - very suprised at the high quality and I am really chuffed with them. The varifocal formula is superb - even better than my (now old) pair which were supposed to be the most advanced you could get.

I would definitely recommend them as a better alternative to high street rip off stores.

[Edited on 23-8-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

UncleFista

posted on 25/8/07 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Goodo

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Jasper

posted on 25/8/07 at 12:18 PM Reply With Quote
Get your eyes lasered - had mine done 3 months ago - bloody fantastic

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.