Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: r1 struggling revs
Dillinger1977

posted on 10/8/07 at 05:59 PM Reply With Quote
r1 struggling revs

having just got back off my hols I decided to take the car on its first ever legal drive (i got it sorted the day before i left but couldnt drive it, torture! )

ive noticed its struggling to get over 7-8000 revs. it goes great until then and just refuses to go higher.

does this suggest its still not getting enough fuel?
ive upgraded the jets to 140's, should I try 150's?
i think the needles are on the 2nd groove from the back, do i bring them forward for more fuel in?

i also think theres a leak before the silencer, (the exhaust mount seems to have drooped a bit with the heat and now the exhaust tip grounds over speed bumps.. DOH!)
would this cause any problems with the revving.. loss of back pressure or something?

any advice appreciated!

-Rog

zxrlocost

posted on 10/8/07 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
everyones got this problem at the mo

its to do with the air jet holes not being blocked

most likely

did you get my last u2u

ta chris

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

smart51

posted on 10/8/07 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
try 144s first, then 150s. Once its happy at the top end, if its not right in the middle then adjust the needle.

I know I didn't do it for a long time, despite good advice but go and get it done on a rolling road. It worked wonders for mine. I did get it quite close before taking it in mind.

PS, you have got the pilot air jets blocked haven't you?

[Edited on 10-8-2007 by smart51]

Dillinger1977

posted on 11/8/07 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
ah i did have 144's in, my mistake.
Just swapped for 150's and its made a difference, the early gears now get up further in the rev range now. later gears seemed to get a bit stuck at 8 but im not sure if that is just me not used to bike engines. (it was quite low in the revs when i put the foot down so do they not like that?)

it seemed that if I 'skipped' the 8k range by going higher in the previous gear it was okay.
Could it be that this is the r1's famous flat spot in the power?

rolling road beckons methinks, but at least now it seems a little better and i wont be running it lean.

Its hard to give it a good stretch of the legs when its busy and you only have sliproads to use!

(edit) yeah, cocktail sticks in the carbs for now. Might give it a go without later on...

[Edited on 11/8/07 by Dillinger1977]

-Rog

smart51

posted on 11/8/07 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
If its OK at the top end and OK lower down then perhaps try the needle next. Mine is second clip from leanest (the blunt end). Try clips 1 and 3 to see what effect it has.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.