Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Le Mans 2008
richard thomas

posted on 14/8/07 at 04:06 PM Reply With Quote
Le Mans 2008

Know this is a bit premature but...

What's the best crossing and/or the best route once over there, coming from Wales/Midlands? And the best campsite?

Also, are there any ground clearance issues when boarding the ferry?

Cheers, Rich.

speedyxjs

posted on 14/8/07 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richard thomas
Also, are there any ground clearance issues when boarding the ferry?

Cheers, Rich.

Uncle Ron had a problem. He wrote about it in the second edition book.

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

pathfinder

posted on 14/8/07 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
We used Euro tunnel this year and I wouldn’t entertain using the ferry/seacat ever again! It’s so much quicker, cleaner and more convenient.
No problems with ground clearance on the tunnel or the ferries (the staff know its le mans weekend and have boards and stuff ready for the job).
Once in France its autoroute all the way down.

I always go for Haux annexe, it's the place to be if you are into wild parties and not much sleep, but there is talk of building a football stadium on it for 2008.

John.Taylor

posted on 14/8/07 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
In 2004 we went on the Friday overnight ferry from Portsmouth to LeHarve which was really good as there were loads of amazing cars going to LeMans and the camaraderie was spot on.

In 2005 the Port-LeHarve ferry was booked up so we went on the Friday overnight ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe which was a bag of cr@p, there were no Ferrari's, Lambo's or classics, just a group of Imprezas and the odd group in a repmobile.

In 2006 we went Friday night Eurotunnel and it was a revalation. The only snag was the lack of sleep so in 2007 we went on the Friday morning 10am Eurotunnel giving us time to get to LeMans and do the pit walk which was a first and which we will aim for next year.

In 2004 we couldn't get a pitch so took sleeping bags and fell asleep on the bank at Arnage - not reccomended.

In 2005 we were in Blue Sud which was OK.

In 2006 we were in Beausejour which was more central to the Porsche curves which we like to visit and the road out to Arnage, and Mulsane is better accessed from this side.

In 2007 we went back to Beausejour but they had doubled the size and not added another entrance so getting in and out in a car took up to an hour!

In 2008 we'll be going Friday morning Eurostar and trying to get into Houx Annex ourselves as the atmosphere seems to be similar to Beausejour without the hassle of getting in and out in a car.

If you want to be back in work on the Monday it is dooable. If you set off the second the race finishes, heading East from the track along back roads before joining the peage and sitting at 80mph and going via a booze place in Calais you can catch the 10.30pm train. If you book a later one than required and get there early, you're usually put on the next available one as loads of people underestimate how long it will take and miss their slot. We usually have an hour or so sleep at Oxford services then off again to reach Manchester by 8am.

pif

posted on 14/8/07 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
what are the dates for le man 2008??

been a bit of a rush job really, bodged it all together in just 5 1/2 years.

LBMEFM

posted on 14/8/07 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
Le Mans

Sorry John, I believe Houx Annex has now been closed for re-developement
LBMEFM

posted on 14/8/07 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Le Mans

Try to go most years;
Norfolk Line (Dover -Dunkirk) good no frills service and cheaper than the rest
Campsite this year Bleu Sud, few facilites but great atmosphere and being close to the public road good fun on the Friday.
Whatever, just go and have a great time
but get there early we always go on the Tuesday night.

TangoMan

posted on 14/8/07 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
I have done tunnel, Norfolkline to Dunquerke and Speedferries to Bolougne.
Norfolkline is cheap and better than it used to be. Tunnel is great but not much chance to sociaise on board. Speedferries was good.

No clearance issues on any with a seven as little overhang front or back.

I wouldn't want to ferry to Le Havre or Caen because the drive down as a bit part of the experience for me.

Best site I have stayed in was Maison Blanche. Inside the track and not too overcrowded. No gypsies after the race!!

I suspect I may be going in a motorhome next year which will spoil the drive down but will make for a more comfortable stay!!

Summer's here!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.