Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: e36 bmw
dream

posted on 23/8/07 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
e36 bmw

Hello,do you guys think the e36 is suitable as a donor for a seven?
They can be had very cheaply and have nice engines

ned

posted on 23/8/07 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
Chassis would need modifying but could be made to fit. Engines are big and heavy being 4 and 6 pots and being on the slant..

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
smart51

posted on 23/8/07 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
Marlin use BMW donors. You could look at what they do and, erm, be inspired.
joetait

posted on 23/8/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
I have had a 1998 E36 323 Coupe as my shed for the past year - solid mechanicals and smooth as silk engine but be very wary of the Nikasil lined bores (alloy block). The nikasil coating breaks down with sulphur in cheap fuel then you've got piston rings running directly on alloy! (effects both 2.5 and 2.8 litre engines - don't know about others)
They changed the production line Marck 1998 from nikasil to steel lined bores as so many failed even under warranty. (The warranty repair involved replacement with a new block with steel liners)
Great engines, if a bit heavy even though they're alloy and designed for torque more than ultimate BHP. As its a straight 6, its pretty long hence it would be really hard to fit in a seven chassis. Better off looking for a RWD V6 of some type. (Jag?)

J

chrisg

posted on 24/8/07 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm working on th E36 as a possible donor for the Haynes Roadster.

The front upright has no mounting for a top ball joint, but what it does have is three threaded holes which locate the strut. A fabrication can be made which bolts to these holes and as an advantage the ideal top ball joint location can be acheived.

At the rear the upright can be used, even though the top and bottom mountings are angled and the trailing arm would have to be replaced with a wide wishbone or a radius arm, all pretty "do-able" though.

The engines are pretty tall and the six cylinder ones are quite heavy.

If anyone is using this car as their donor I would be happy to help out, and compare notes.

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

ned

posted on 24/8/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Research for a 2nd edition then Chris?!

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 24/8/07 at 06:49 PM Reply With Quote
That's exactly what it is Neddy!

I'm looking at the BMW E36. the Mazda MX5, Mercedes 190 and the Vauxhall Carlton/Senator/Omega.

With around 75,000 Sierras stil taxed I think we should be sorted for donor cars for a while!

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.