Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Who owns Hotmail address?
greglogan

posted on 30/8/07 at 06:25 AM Reply With Quote
Who owns Hotmail address?

Hi guys

I've had a bit of a problem at work. Someone has sent an email to my boss - annonymously of course - from a hotmail address. The mail says some pretty unkind things and they're mostly untrue. What I was wondering was, is there a way to find out who registered that hotmail address?

Greg.

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

chockymonster

posted on 30/8/07 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Not really as Microsoft will only release the details to a law enforcement agency.
If you look at the header information of the email it will tell you which IP address the email came from and in some cases the name of the PC. You can then use that to look further into it.

PLEASE NOTE - Responses on Forum Threads may contain Sarcasm and may not be suitable for the hard of Thinking.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clockwork

posted on 30/8/07 at 08:16 AM Reply With Quote
I assume you are using outlook?
Right click on the message and click options.
Window pops up, look at the bottom for internet headers.
Look for a line such as
"X-Originating-IP: XX:XX:xxX"
copy the xx's (ip address) and go to

http://www.ipaddresslocation.org/

enter and have a look at its location. At the very least you will be able to work out if it was sent from an internal computer.

"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." Benjamin Franklin.
"Well if you have nothing to hide, you have nothing to fear" Morons the world over.

Locost/Kit builders info and FAQ website:- www.carbuilders.info

nathanharris1987

posted on 30/8/07 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
add them on msn messenger, they might not be on there, but if they are... pose as a girl, steel some pics off of google to call yourself and ask them a bit about them.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoobyis2cool

posted on 30/8/07 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nathanharris1987
add them on msn messenger, they might not be on there, but if they are... pose as a girl, steel some pics off of google to call yourself and ask them a bit about them.

You sound like you've done this before

By the way Greg, the map on ipaddresslocation.org isn't always particularly useful because it only seems to point to the general area (for example for me it shows I'm in south-west Birmingham when I'm actually in the north-east), but if you look at the name of the server that can give you a clue. Mine is ##-##-###-###.cable.ubr01.sutt.blueyonder.co.uk, which tells you it's in the Sutton Coldfield area.

Pete

[Edited on 30/8/07 by scoobyis2cool]

It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care...

Dangle_kt

posted on 30/8/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
be aware though that IP addresses are usually dynamically assigned, so even if if it pointed to an area where only one member of staff lived it IS NOT CONCLUSIVE proof, and it wouldnt stand up in court, which is where they would take your boss for unfair dismissal if it came to that.

Just wanted to make the point, and save some red faces down the line.

nathanharris1987

posted on 30/8/07 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
busted! my names natalie harrison at the weekends.

nahhh, had it tried on me a couple of times but sniffed it out that it was the ex mrs checking whether i was sleeping around or not.

Or try looking for them on these new networking profiles such as myspace and facebook, see if it returns any pictures of your culprit.

greglogan

posted on 31/8/07 at 05:56 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys. Pretty much as I thought. Whoever it was registered this email address specifically for this job so I doubt if they registered much information anyway.

Thanks anyway guys.

Greg.

Women are meant to be loved, not understood.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.