Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: speed sensor
iiyama

posted on 2/9/07 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
speed sensor

How do I mount this? On the Busa there was a small castelated washer affair with 4 raised areas. How do i emulate this? And how close to does the sensor have to be?

Seem to remember reading somewhere about using magnets. The sensor itself would appear to be a magnet. If this is the case I guess it works on hall effect principle? If I have to mount magnets on the propshaft, how are these generally fitted? Mechanically or chemically? ie bolt em or glue em!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

dano

posted on 2/9/07 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
speak to dax, i bought a circuit board from them which they use to recalibrate the speedo. the one i bought off them came with magnets and instructions. i never used the magnets as mine has a sensor in the gearbox.

dax instructions:
prepare the surface and, using epoxy resin, attach three dax sensor magnets so that they are equi-spaced radially around the circumference of the foremost propshaft flange. ensure that the dimples on the magnets are all facing tha same way- i.e all facing in or all facing out.

using a suitable spacer tube and bolt, securely mount the suzuki road-speed sensor to the dax cluch slave-cylinder mounting braket so that a 1.5mm air gap is provided between the 'D' shaped flat on the side of the sensor tip and each of the magnets when the propshaft is rotated.

hope this helps

richard thomas

posted on 2/9/07 at 01:24 PM Reply With Quote
Use the original sensor, mounted on a small bracket to pick up on the heads of the bolts that attach the prop to your output shaft adapter. Keep the gap as tight as you dare - 1 mm should be fine. File the markings off the heads of the bolts to help. Put the bolts in front to back. You'll need a speedohealer also.

I know that the bolts for the output shaft adapter might not be at 90 degree intervals exactly, but it still works. Trust me.

iiyama

posted on 2/9/07 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers bud, Ill give em a ring tomorrow.

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

iiyama

posted on 2/9/07 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Posted that before I realised there were two replies!

Speedo healer. How much? Where from?

edit
Having read that second post again... prop bolts front to back? Not sure I understand that. If you mean bolt through the adaptor into the propshaft then I cant do that on my application.

Cheers guys

[Edited on 2/9/07 by iiyama]

richard thomas

posted on 2/9/07 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
www.speedohealer.com - piece of wee to fit and use! about £60 and worth every penny, my speedo is so accurate that the sva man warned me to take care in that when it says 70mph, it really does mean 70mph!

yup, i meant put the bolts in with the head at the front i.e. through the adaptor into the prop. If you can only put them in the other way, then so long as the tails are the same length (and therefore the same clearance from the sender) it will do the same job.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.