Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW Bay Window Campers with new registration plates
John Bonnett

posted on 3/9/07 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
VW Bay Window Campers with new registration plates

Recently, I've seen a number of VW Bay Window campers with nearly new plates. I wondered if anyone can tell me where they are being manufactured.

I'm not in the market for one, just interested.

John

Fatboy Dave

posted on 3/9/07 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
Mehiho!

<ahem>

Mexico my man!

Production I believe has ended, but there are still a bunch of them unregistered in the world. Same with the Beetle.

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Guinness

posted on 3/9/07 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.danburymotorcaravans.com/danburyrio.shtml

Not sure where they get them from, but they are a dealer. I briefly looked into them, but at £18k for a new one I decided against it!

HTH

Mike

Edited to say they say it's Brazil they are getting them from?

[Edited on 3/9/07 by Guinness]

John Bonnett

posted on 3/9/07 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
Dave, very many thanks for solving that one. I never cease to be astounded at the knowledge base of our group. It's simply awesome!

John

nick205

posted on 3/9/07 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
I drove a brand new old style beetle for a couple of weeks in Mexico a few years ago. Whilst it was a brand new car it was still an old style beetle with noisy wheezing air cooled engine located in the wrong place. The handling was less than nimble and the ride quality fairly pants too. But then I'm not a fan of old skool VW's
jambojeef

posted on 3/9/07 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Oh Nick wheres your soul?

Simon

posted on 3/9/07 at 07:28 PM Reply With Quote
From their site Q & A (for all you post SVA, MOT worriers) -

Will My Car Meet Current UK Standards?

Yes ! Each car is individually tested by the vehicle Inspectorate of the Department of Transport. This assures that you the customer get a SAFE and LEGAL new car.

Will My New Car Need An MOT After One Year?

No ! As per any other new car your first MOT will be due Three Years from the date of registration.

ATB

Simon

[Edited on 3/9/07 by Simon]

v8kid

posted on 3/9/07 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
My daughter wanted to buy one untill she hired one for a week. Strangely silent on the subject now.

I had a shot and it was exactly like the ones back in the sixties - and they were apasllingly bad then

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 3/9/07 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
We were camping earlier in the year and a couple of tidy VW campers were on the same field. I was amused to see them having to perform a number of shunts to turn round in the field, they must have the turning circle of a supertanker

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

hobbsy

posted on 3/9/07 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
Well in their defence I kipped in my mates vans at both Le Mans and Glasto this year (plus a trip to Cornwall) and there were better than a tent. Cook up some bacon and coffee in the morning and even had a shower out of the window at Glasto (in my undies).

Was also cooler than a tent in the morning when you've got a stinking hangover etc

NS Dev

posted on 3/9/07 at 08:17 PM Reply With Quote
Would love one, but just one that looked right, would need to be different underneath.

I think Jamie Ollie has the right idea with the porsche engine, and I know of another with a subaru turbo lump in it.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

nick205

posted on 3/9/07 at 08:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jambojeef
Oh Nick wheres your soul?

In the front, filled with coolant

Simon

posted on 3/9/07 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NS Dev
Would love one, but just one that looked right, would need to be different underneath.

I think Jamie Ollie has the right idea with the porsche engine, and I know of another with a subaru turbo lump in it.

I know someone doing something special, but he's keeping it quiet at the mo, so out of respect to his wishes, I'm not going to tell you what he's doing

ATB

Simon

Metal Hippy

posted on 3/9/07 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.race-taxi.ch/

Enjoy the site and check out the videos..

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

martyn_16v

posted on 4/9/07 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
I occasionally think about getting one and sticking a diesel in it. My parents used to have one when I was a kiddy and I thought it was the dogs danglies, have been pandering after one pretty much ever since, just need the money, space, time, and ability to fix rust

On a similar note, you can still buy new mk1-ish Golfs from South Africa, called the CitiGolf.

akumabito

posted on 5/9/07 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
The Danbury Rio is the wrong model! That's the post-sexiness VW Van! Everybody knows it's the pre-'67 models that are the best looking. I'd like one of those... a double-cab model, and lowered 6 inch or so... fit some nice wheels..

Too bad those are silly money though..

Simon

posted on 5/9/07 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
When we lived in Kenya (end '73 to Jan '75 we had a split screen camper with two side doors (as opposed to sliding), full length sunroof (me and bro's went most of the way to Mombassa with out heads out the roof), opening windscreen windows and roof windows.

Safari I believe is what they're known as, and also incredibly rare

It used to slip out of third gear!

ATB

Simon

akumabito

posted on 5/9/07 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Safari windows are awesome!

...you think there'd be a market for split-window vans in kit form? Just an idea here.. Those buses are quit rare as-is, with many interesting (and even rarer) variations. An original 50's or early 60's bus is out of reach for most people..

A look-alike could be interesting.. you could even update the technical bits to eliminate some of its shortcomings.. put independent suspension front and back.. a modern VW TDi in the rear.. and of course fiberglass bodywork to eliminate the rust problem..

Could be one of those rare "practical" kitcars, I suppose..

Aboardman

posted on 5/9/07 at 10:23 PM Reply With Quote
at the company i have just started at, the wages person told me that her son imports vw campers from California (due to the weather been kind on them ), gets them ready over here then sells them on.

she is on holiday at the moment so can ask her for more details what her son dones if you want,

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.