Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen
Black Cat

posted on 8/9/07 at 11:28 AM Reply With Quote
Windscreen

I've just started to fit the windscreen on my Tiger Avon, things are generally going OK with the re-shaping of the side supports however I was wondering what gasket is used to go around the edge of the glass and fits into the 'U' channel?

I got the complete windscreen kit from Tiger so I'm assuming that they sent me all the correct stuff.

One of the items I have, and I'm not sure if this is part of the windscreen kit, is a wing bead about 12mm, is this supposed to go around the screen on both sides, if it is how do you prevent the edge of the glass touching the bolts on the side supports or is there a better system?

Regards Steve

Rudy

posted on 8/9/07 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
I used that type of rubber round the screen both sides, a bit of soap helped.

Sorry about my English

Black Cat

posted on 8/9/07 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
Well I've just got it fitted apart from the fine tuning and it looks fine now I'm worried about the fixing for the wet weather gear on the windscreen surround.

When I screw these on is there a chance that the glass will touch these fixing and chip the edge of the glass?

Will post some photos on my site shortly.

Regards Steve

Dusty

posted on 8/9/07 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I bedded the screen in mastic, the stuff used by autoglas to glue screens on tin tops after having leaks in the original which was bedded in a rubber seal. It leaked and water was running round between the glass and the seal and running down the inside of the glass. No leaks now and the top rail does not pull up toward the edge of the glass with wind lift on the hood.

[Edited on 8/9/07 by Dusty]

Black Cat

posted on 8/9/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yes that a good idea, I did not think that the wind would push the surround up and let the water in, when I finally fir the screen I will seal all around even through I have a good seal with the rubber.

There's very little information on how to fit the screen in the Tiger Avon book, no dimensions, no suitable photos, and very little text.

Now that the screen is almost fitted the next problem I'll have is how to fit the wipers, the ones I have seem to large for the screen at 10".

Thanks for that and any other pointers would be most appreciated.

Regards Steve

Rudy

posted on 9/9/07 at 06:19 AM Reply With Quote
10" wipers are too large, I used 8", and also 10"wiper blade are too large,I pull out the two little rivets, than I cut my 10" blade and shoertened, than I refix the blade with two little rivets, and they looks very fine.

Sorry about my English

Black Cat

posted on 9/9/07 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Rudy, that what I thought I might have to do.

Do yours wipers park on the nearside or offside, are they positioned central and what is the distance apart and what is the distance from the windscreen?

Regards Steve

Rudy

posted on 9/9/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hope this help
And sorry, in the previos post I confused arms with blades : I cut arms and I used 8" blades

[Edited on 9/9/07 by Rudy] Rescued attachment HPIM2307.JPG
Rescued attachment HPIM2307.JPG

Sorry about my English

Rudy

posted on 9/9/07 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
before make any holes in the bodywork, be sure wiper box will not "interference" with air demist ducting and also check if motor is left park or right park and make some trial with wipers blade. Consider that wipers will rotate about not sure if 100 or 110°. Rescued attachment HPIM2308.JPG
Rescued attachment HPIM2308.JPG

Sorry about my English

edspurrier

posted on 9/9/07 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Europa do adjustable length wiper blades which I'll be using. Not got my windscreen properly fitted yet though.
Black Cat

posted on 10/9/07 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, they do have a good selection but as I've got the Tiger supplied ones I'm going to run with them for now and alter them to suit and if all else fails I may well turn to the Europa catalogue.

But that will have to wait for a couple of weeks as I'm off to Italy and hoping to find a car shop that stocks Momo parts at a price that is a lot cheaper than over hear.

Thanks Rudy and Ed for your help.

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.