7500 to 10000 miles
>10000 miles

Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: BEC Gearbox failures poll
Ivan

posted on 8/9/07 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
BEC Gearbox failures poll

I have noticed several posts on this forum about BEC gearbox failures and as my next car might very well be a BEC one I wondered what sort of life one can expect from BEC gearboxes.

The question is how many trouble free miles can you get between gearbox faiures driving like the car invites you to drive?

cerbera

posted on 8/9/07 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote
Done 4500miles on mine with no probs as yet...`Touch wood'
Dillinger1977

posted on 8/9/07 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
dunno yet, still trying to diagnose mine!

-Rog

JoelP

posted on 8/9/07 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
i must've done 1000 miles and 3 trackdays without it breaking. Sold it now though so who knows!
ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/9/07 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
There's been a spate of them lately (including mine) but its not always like that on here!

Ive done around 25 trackdays (probably ~3000 track miles) and maybe 10k road miles and my failure at Spa a couple of weeks ago is the first Ive had.

There's little relevence in a poll based on mileage though because you're not factoring in how many miles the engine has already done in the bike, which could vary from zero miles to 20k+

[Edited on 8/9/07 by ChrisGamlin]

Ivan

posted on 8/9/07 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChrisGamlin

There's little relevence in a poll based on mileage though because you're not factoring in how many miles the engine has already done in the bike, which could vary from zero miles to 20k+

[Edited on 8/9/07 by ChrisGamlin]

In my experience mileage has very little to do with gearbox life (clutch excepted) - ie they seem to outlast the engine. But putting them to a use that they are not designed for ie the added traction and weight of a car - might have a more significant impact.

From the couple of posts so far it seems as if their life might not be too bad.

Maybe another poll on the cost and ease of repairing them is more relevant

[Edited on 8/9/07 by Ivan]

Hellfire

posted on 8/9/07 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
The bigger and more powerful the bike, the more chance there is of the gearbox being able to handle the extra weight due smaller difference in bike weight to BEC weight.

As for replacing/repairing, I'd say a bike engine repair was quicker and easier as you can just lift the whole unit out (in one) and work on it. Try doing that with a car engine!

Regarding cost - bike would probably work out more expensive...

Steve

ChrisGamlin

posted on 8/9/07 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Ivan

Yep I can see what you were aiming at but I suspect there's probably too many variables involved to just tie it down to mileage.

For example, people who are unsympathetic / have poor technique when changing gear (even on the bike) or cars that have poor linkage / cable designs that aren't particularly precise are much more likely to bend forks for example, and something like that plus secondary damage caused by bent forks (ie chipped / rounded dogs) aren't really related to the additional loads going through the gearbox, although they may appear more often on BECs because of the varying quality of the gearchange mechanism solutions used.

Chris

Ivan

posted on 9/9/07 at 07:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks all - hopefully more will fill in the poll but it looks like there are a high number of early failures that might be put down to an already dodgy box at installation, poor linkages or poor technique followed by a gap and then longer term failures which may indicate that that ultimate life may be around 10000 miles given normal trackday use, a sympathetic driver with good technique and good linkages.

I am learning something - the answer to BEC gearbox longevity seems to be a big engine from a heavy bike with excellent linkages and good change technique plus maybe an uprated clutch and a realy light car.

Must start keeping my eye open for a Kawa 1400

Hellfire

posted on 9/9/07 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ivan
I am learning something - the answer to BEC gearbox longevity seems to be a big engine from a heavy bike with excellent linkages and good change technique plus maybe an uprated clutch and a realy light car.

That about covers it all...

Steve

rf900rush

posted on 15/9/07 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
2 Suzuki RF900 engines both with 2nd Gear problems.
1st did not show problems until used hard then jump when in 2nd.
Then No. 2 from ebay . This was worse.

Buying Cheap second hand engines from broken or old bike's means they they may well already be duff.

Second engine now fixed.
3 gears and 2 selectors (£200 approx).

No problems since.
3000miles so far.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.