Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW PARTS
Ian Pearson

posted on 9/9/07 at 10:05 PM Reply With Quote
VW PARTS

Hi All,

I'm trying to sort out a problem with my brother in laws '92 Passat. The driver electric window works intermittenly. I don't know if it's a switching problem, but it seems to work ok out of the door, but when installed, it's as dead as a Dodo. Electrics aren't my strong point, so I thought of getting a new one. My local scrappy doesn't have any in, and as so many parts are interchangeable, the questions are:

1) Does the '92 Passat share electric window winders with any other VW?

2) Anyone know of any easy answer to the intermittent operation?

Regards, Ian.

blakep82

posted on 9/9/07 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
broken wire between the door and chassis?

when you say it works outside the car, is that using any of the cars own cabling, or connecting it up to a power supply away from the car?

my old BMW used to do something similar. sometimes the drivers door window didn't work unless you opened the door and closed it again

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Ian Pearson

posted on 9/9/07 at 10:16 PM Reply With Quote
Works ok using the car wiring and switch gear once out of the door?
ReMan

posted on 9/9/07 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Don't no nuffin about Passats, but there is probably a current detection circuit that stops them chopping childrens hands off if they get in the way. If the sliding mechanism is stiff it may have the same effect and stp it workin
fatfranky

posted on 9/9/07 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Had a similar problem on a Passat of this era, window would lower but not raise again.

Problem was that the mechanism "frame" had broken and was twisting and jamming under torque of the motor when raising.

Welded up OK but was never perfect, if you've already had mechanism out i suspect that you've already looked at this and this reply is of no real help.

But then again.......

Regards

Frank

ps. Come to think of it on the same car the channel that attaches to the bottom of the glass corroded away and came adrift from glass!

Metal Hippy

posted on 9/9/07 at 11:02 PM Reply With Quote
I work in a VW parts department and I've been trying to remember whether it's the same as anything else, but I don't think it is..

I'd put money on it being the mechanism, it's a fairly common thing to go tits on Mark 3 Golfs and Polos of a similar era..

Cock off or cock on. You choose.

Ian Pearson

posted on 10/9/07 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Many thanks all. Looks like I need to go on a scrapyard tour!
Danozeman

posted on 10/9/07 at 08:55 AM Reply With Quote
Try gsf car parts mate. theyr usually pretty good price.

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

James

posted on 10/9/07 at 11:13 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Try gsf car parts mate. theyr usually pretty good price.

In fact, just looking at their catalog will tell you which other cars use the same mechanism!

Cheers,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.