Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tig recommendations?
Delinquent

posted on 13/9/07 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
Tig recommendations?

Looking for recommendations on a make / model of Tig welder.

Budget is £1k +/- a bit, AC/DC a must as it'll be used extensively with ally and stainless, already have Mig Gas and Arc for heavier stuff but need it to be reasonably capable, don't want something that'll only do ciggie paper thick joins!

Ta.

fesycresy

posted on 13/9/07 at 08:42 AM Reply With Quote
If you can stretch the budget a bit then try the ESAB Caddytig.

There are still some promotion deals about - try Morse Welding.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

jkarran

posted on 13/9/07 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.r-techwelding.co.uk/welding_equipment/Tig_Welder_AC-DC_240V/R-Tech_Tig_Welder_Tig201

I got one of these. Very versatile and only marginally over budget. Haven't had to turn it up past 120A yet so lots of capability left for heavy material.

Only two annoyances, the HF start f**ks the garage door up and the gas solenoid is sticking on occasionally which I need to get seen to. Apart from that it's excelent.

jk

Digger Barnes

posted on 13/9/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
does this look like the same one but in red? ebay welder scroll down to the bottom picture
jkarran

posted on 13/9/07 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Hmm... very odd

That looks exactly like mine... but red. When I spoke to RTech the assured me they build and repair their own machines in the UK, one of the reasons I went for it, uk support. A claim backed up by another user I talked to. Something's not quite right here though.
jk

Alex B

posted on 13/9/07 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
What about a British built Portamig TIG machine . I have one of their Migs..... superb . Backup is also second to none.
PM me if you want details.

Alex

Delinquent

posted on 13/9/07 at 05:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the suggestions, appreciate it I find you can never get enough advice on a purchase like this!
Pulsar

posted on 15/9/07 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a SIP 160 tig (but also does arc if you get the attachment) and it's proven most satisfactory. It's got infinitely variable amperage and most of the knobs you see on bigger machines. I can't remember how much it was, though. I think it was about £900 cash although that was several years ago.
Peteff

posted on 16/9/07 at 09:43 AM Reply With Quote
I bought a Stel from an ebay seller called jesterbikes and am getting to grips with it. It cost me £1050 plus a torch and I need a pedal before I start on aluminium but the machine seems well up to anything I am able to do with it. I need some lessons as it's over 30 years since I last used tig. It is the 201h in the products section and is also a competent arc welder. Edit to add Murex sell it rebadged in a red case for around £3500.

[Edited on 16/9/07 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.