Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: stick-on number plate removal
02GF74

posted on 19/9/07 at 02:42 PM Reply With Quote
stick-on number plate removal

Am I likley to succeed remvoing a stick-on number plate so it is in a good condition to be restuck?

Will using a hair dryer to soften the glue and carefuly peeling off work?

Or it is £ 7 down the drain

Pdlewis

posted on 19/9/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
I would say getting it off isnt a problem but dont fancey your chances of getting it to stick back on!! sorry
BenB

posted on 19/9/07 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
I'd imagine the removal process with either be damaging to the number plate or the car- of those two I'd rather trash the plate....

Give it a try but go gently- you might find the adhesive stays on the car- you could use some spray mount to attach the plate the 2nd time if it works. If it's refusing to budge though I'd be tempted to liberally apply soapy water then do the heating trick and go very gently. Ripping off a patch of gelcoat would be bad!!!!

02GF74

posted on 19/9/07 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ cheers for that; not too worried about the car as I will be painting it but would not be a bunny from happyville if it takes of a chunk of gel coat

My gut feel is the plastic which is ths special reflecting stuff is going to be irreversibly damaged when creased.

twybrow

posted on 19/9/07 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
I would be amazed if you rip the gel coat from the surface!

RazMan

posted on 19/9/07 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
The reflective vinyl background will probably break up when you try and remove it. It depends on how long it has been exposed to UV light.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 19/9/07 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
use an angle grinder, cut round it exactly, then refit it after paint job is done - a couple of wooden batterns holding it on from the underneath.

It'll be reet...

Peteff

posted on 19/9/07 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
I reused my trailer numberplate and it was perfectly alright. Hairdryer and patience and steady pressure and it came off in one piece but I expect it is down to the quality as well.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

stevec

posted on 19/9/07 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
use an angle grinder, cut round it exactly, then refit it after paint job is done - a couple of wooden batterns holding it on from the underneath.

It'll be reet...

Dutchman

posted on 21/9/07 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
try with gasoline , I use it for removing glue from places where vinyl decals where

Tarzan English with foreign accent!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 22/9/07 at 03:23 AM Reply With Quote
cover with masking tape that has had the adhesive weakened slightly, then with a sharp razorblade like you`re skinning a fishgo slow, pushing a little bit more towards the gelcoatand pulling very very gently on the masking tape just to keep the edge away from the razor

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.