Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Motorbike questions
Benzine

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
Motorbike questions

Am i right in that the laws have changed so that you need to ride a 125cc bike for two years before you can ride anything bigger? or is this just if you're under a certain age?

What is required? CBT then some other kind of test? I took my CBT when I was 16 for a moped but it's long expired (now 23). I don't know how the testing stuff works.

Also are there any places that do intensive courses so you can pass within a week/few days? Pref in the east midlands area.

Spanks for any help! ^__^

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Dangle_kt

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Am i right in that the laws have changed so that you need to ride a 125cc bike for two years before you can ride anything bigger? or is this just if you're under a certain age?

What is required? CBT then some other kind of test? I took my CBT when I was 16 for a moped but it's long expired (now 23). I don't know how the testing stuff works.

Also are there any places that do intensive courses so you can pass within a week/few days? Pref in the east midlands area.

Spanks for any help! ^__^

far as I know its 125 on L plates up to 2 years after your CBT, then if you dont PASS in the two years following CBT you can then only ride up to a 50cc on L plates.

Be aware your insurance will relfect you have only had the compulsary BASIC training, and you can't take a pillion either - plus unless you get a decent 125, they are boring as sin.

I'd get passed mate, the test is getting harder soon, so it will cost more.

Just get it done, its worth it

David Jenkins

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
This may help...

DVLA

David

worX

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
this might be of some use to you...

http://www.frettons.co.uk/learnerlegal.html

Steve

Dangle_kt

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
oh, CBT is a one day course - you've done it, you knwo what it contains, as far as I know it aint changed.

Residential courses with guarenteed passes might be worth looking into, they used to be very popular, but with all the test changes on the way they might have stop gaurentteeing the PASS, cos its a sellers market in the rush to pass.

oily85

As you're over 21, you can do Direct Access, you have to take the CBT again before riding a bike on the road, which lasts 2 years, then take the test on a bike over 44bhp I think, once that's passed you can ride any bike.

Most bike schools do intensive courses from 2-5 days, depending on what you want to do and how confident you feel about it.

The law is changing next summer so that there are 4 years of restriction for anyone under 24, 2 years each at 2 power levels.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

DVLA

That was way too slow

[Edited on 3/10/07 by mookaloid]

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Benzine

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. So something like this would be ideal:

Taken from http://www.roadcraftmidlands.co.uk/intensive_motorcycle_training_prices_nottingham.htm

4 DAY INTENSIVE DAS COURSE - OVER 21'S ONLY
CBT on Day 1 (if applicable)
125/500cc training on day 2 (for approx 4-5 hours)
500cc training on Day 3 (for approx 4-5 hours)
Pre-Test (1 hour polish-up lesson before test) and use of bike for final test on day 4

Dangle_kt

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
passing your bike test aint that hard, once you've cracked the basics its just practise practise practise.

4 days might work well for you, I hired a bike for a week and it helped me pass (but cost a FORTUNE!)

Gixer Indy
Contributor

Posts 85
Registered 18/7/07
Location Zummerzet

Photo Archive Go!
Building: a dislike for people using washers when im behind

posted on 3/10/07 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Benzine
Thanks for the replies. So something like this would be ideal:

Taken from http://www.roadcraftmidlands.co.uk/intensive_motorcycle_training_prices_nottingham.htm

4 DAY INTENSIVE DAS COURSE - OVER 21'S ONLY
CBT on Day 1 (if applicable)
125/500cc training on day 2 (for approx 4-5 hours)
500cc training on Day 3 (for approx 4-5 hours)
Pre-Test (1 hour polish-up lesson before test) and use of bike for final test on day 4

After you pass,consider booking in on one of the Police courses,I guess they do them in most area's, worth every penny.

I've got a couple of DSA books on the subject,CBT and Motorcycling manual, if there any good to you?

Flat out til you see God, then BRAKE!

pathfinder

posted on 3/10/07 at 09:36 PM Reply With Quote
Do the direct access course as soon as you can, I did 4 days for about £450 + price of theory test earlier this year. As has been mentioned, its all going to change next year with most of the training taking place on private practice areas, this is going to push the prices even higher and make the pass rate lower.
Funnily enough I picked my new bike up at the weekend a Buell XB9R, far more fun than a 125!!!!

Best of luck

Thom

StevieB

posted on 4/10/07 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by oily85

The law is changing next summer so that there are 4 years of restriction for anyone under 24, 2 years each at 2 power levels.

Yet a 17 year old muppet who's just passed his test can drive a subaru impreza, and get all his mates in the car so he can show off and be egged on by said mates to drive like an idiot.

Law's are great!

Aboardman

posted on 4/10/07 at 05:38 PM Reply With Quote
i passed my bike test the quick way pver 3 days, leant on there 125cc, passed my test , then bought my brothers gsxr 400 off him, was great fun.

in fact might get another bike.

any ideas on type thinking something about 600cc. and locost

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.