Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: discs & caliper choice for sierra front hub
angus.d

posted on 18/10/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
discs & caliper choice for sierra front hub

Once again sorry if its been asked before but can anyone advise the best value for money lighter weight but relatively standard disc/caliper choice for a Sierra front hub.

If I understand right Sierra's were all vented discs with the appropriate caliper.

To save weight without paying silly money on alloy calipers and special discs, I'd wondered if there were any suitable solid discs and perhaps a suitable Ford or other caliper for solid discs both of which might be lighter than the standard items.

The rear brakes would be standard Sierra XR4x4 discs/calipers.

Any advice grateful

Cheers

Angus

stevec

posted on 18/10/07 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
Got mine here
Steve.

donut

posted on 18/10/07 at 04:26 PM Reply With Quote
Why not just stick with the std ones. They work very well due to being designed to stop a heavt Sierra and all you will have is about 500kg's.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Guinness

posted on 18/10/07 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Very early Sierras with the 1.3l OHC engine had solid discs. You can still buy the calipers, discs and pads from Brakes International. Don't know if they'd be much lighter than the vented ones, but at £100 all in, it's Locost!?

Cheers

Mike

bob tatt

posted on 18/10/07 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
i can recomend the wilwood calipers with 260 mm vented discs awsome just fitted them this week been out to bed them in 90 mile in the cold of yorkshire brill fun there is some one on ebay selling solid and lightened sierra discs been cnc machined look real good ive got a full front end set up vented discs and calipers all done 700 mile since refurb make me an offer including flexi hoses.
Dingz

posted on 18/10/07 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Early 1.3 and 1.6 were fitted with solid discs, a bit lighter and don't warp! The rear drums are also a bit smaller and lighter.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.