Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hydraulic clutch info, T9 - Pinto
jollygreengiant

posted on 20/10/07 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hydraulic clutch info, T9 - Pinto

Ok so I thought it might be nice if I posted the information that I have as it relates to my experience so far.

I am fitting a standard 2.0efi pinto, standard bell housing and standard type 9 (with electronic speedo sender). These have come straight out of a 'G' reg (09/1989) Ford Granada 2.0i Ghia Granada.

The release bearing carrier, as removed straight off of the gear box without gasket, measured 101.6mm.

The adapter (holds oil seal, retains front bearing and adapts to carry spacers and hydraulic slave cylinder) I bought from Burton is an APC6B.

To the front of this you mount a Hydraulic clutch cylinder, APC5, but this needs to be spaced so that it clears the clutch cover and allows room for the rearwards progression of the fingers of the clutch cover as the clutch wears.

When I order all this I asked them for the appropriate spacers as I did not want to do any machining. So they sent me a 30mm. This was wrong as it gave no free play and made the whole assembly too long by at least 14mm.

Then I bought two more spacers, 3.2mm & 12.7mm, giving a total of 15.9mm. This meant that the assmbly cleared the clutch plate but still did not give me clearance on the cover.

I then removed the 12.7mm spacer, but, the 3.2mm spacer does NOT fit properly on the locating steps of the clutch slave. There was a gap of approximately 3mm between the two. I got over this by using pairs of washers through which the bolts located.

So this mean that the height of the combined adapter mount and the hydraulic cylinder was 85.6mm. To this I have added a total of 3.2 + 1.5 + 1.5 = 6.2mm. (This would have been an APC7B [ 6.4mm ] on the Burtons web site )

This has given me approximately 5mm clearance (at this time ) between the clutch fingers ( almost new LUK clutch, only done about 1000miles ) and the release bearing. This gap should be adequate to allow for the movement of the fingers as the clutch wears.

So to sum up (I have NOT tested this system YET ), IF you buy from Burtons, and IF you have a clutch bearing nose in you gearbox that measures about 101.6mm from end to end, then you will need :-

APC5. cylinder
APC6B. adapter
APC7B. spacer
APC8. hose kit
HD4941. release bearing.

OH and some cap head bolts that they neglected to include in either kit OR pricing up of kit.

I hope this helps.

Edit bit =

At the end I now have a working clutch and all I needed (for the short shaft T9) was the gear box mount, the slave cylinder and 6 washers (2 per bolt) to act as spacers between the mount and the slave.

I hope this helps.

[Edited on 6/3/08 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jacko

posted on 20/10/07 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I have to ask why not just use a cable and save all the messing about like you have
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
John Bonnett

posted on 20/10/07 at 04:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thank you for this information, which I shall file away for the future.

Burton really excelled themselves on this job!!

jollygreengiant

posted on 21/10/07 at 01:51 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
I have to ask why not just use a cable and save all the messing about like you have
Jacko

1, The Viento chassis is set up for hydraulic clutch.

2, Forward thinking, once it is registered with the boat anchor, I can then at a later date change my engine to a more respectable V8 if I desire to and all I would need to do is change the bell housing.

3, Because its what I wanted to do with my build.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

jacko

posted on 21/10/07 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
quote:
Originally posted by jacko
Jacko

1, The Viento chassis is set up for hydraulic clutch.

2, Forward thinking, once it is registered with the boat anchor, I can then at a later date change my engine to a more respectable V8 if I desire to and all I would need to do is change the bell housing.

3, Because its what I wanted to do with my build.

Hi well good luck with what you have planned
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.