Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: using calipers upside down, and how to bleed them?!
blakep82

posted on 21/10/07 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
using calipers upside down, and how to bleed them?!

i know this has been covered before, but can never find what i'm after on forum search.

as it is, using the brake calipers the correct way up, bleed screw at the top, the plastic plug is got in the brake fluid inlet port just now, bangs against the bottom wishbone. certainly no space to safely install flexi brake lines with any kind of end fitting.

flipped the calipers over, and they fit perfect, but the bleed screw is at the bottom.

its been said before (i think) that they'll happily work upside down, but how would you bleed the brakes? surely the disc has to be in place for something to clamp against when getting the air out?

an all calipers/pads work upside down, is there something i should check?

i do intend changing the standard bedofrd midi calipers (as using midi uprights) to wilwood ones eventually, but this means a whole lot more money for calipers, disks, bells... etc

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

martin1973

posted on 21/10/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
you could try taking them off putting something in to hold the pistons open(block of wood)
bleed them the right way up then put them back on?

martin

RazMan

posted on 21/10/07 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
Just whip them off, insert a piece of wood to take up the space of the disc, and bleed them the right way up.

Rats - Martin beat me to it

[Edited on 21-10-07 by RazMan]

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 21/10/07 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
cheers guys, just what i wanted to hear! (or read...)

i was thinking that (or maybe a similarly thick peice of metal)

can anyone think of any reason why they wouldn't work upside down?

I do plan to use flexi brake pipe throughout, so taking them off to bleed them would not be a problem

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Cousin Cleotis

posted on 22/10/07 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
What calipers are they? why cant you swap them from side to side?

Paul

Humbug

posted on 22/10/07 at 06:16 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cousin Cleotis
What calipers are they? why cant you swap them from side to side?

Paul

...what I was going to say. That way, the bleed nipple would still be the right way up, just on the leading edge instead of the trailing edge (or vice versa)

smart51

posted on 22/10/07 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
Don't find a piece of wood to hold them apart. just move them round the disc with the pads in place and bleed them like that. I do.
martin1973

posted on 22/10/07 at 09:12 AM Reply With Quote
u can't bleed them upsidedown cause the air will allways go to the top as it lighter than the fluid.

martin

gttman

posted on 22/10/07 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
Think what was suggested is that they are rotated around the disc until the were the right way up and then bled.

I have the same problem and I can't just swop the calipers from side to side as they are directional.... I planned to move the bleed valves on mine But I guess I could bleed them right way up and the refit them to the car.

Andygtt

Please redefine your limits

RazMan

posted on 22/10/07 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
The handy thing about most aftermarket calipers is that they have bleed nipples at both ends so the problem doesn't arise.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
matt_claydon

posted on 22/10/07 at 12:28 PM Reply With Quote
You shouldn't swap calipers side to side as I believe most are designed with the piston(s) slightly off-centre to counteract the effect of the direction the disc moves through the pads. Using calipers like this the wrong way round would cause rapid uneven pad wear.

[Edited on 22/10/07 by matt_claydon]

blakep82

posted on 22/10/07 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
You shouldn't swap calipers side to side as I believe most are designed with the piston(s) slightly off-centre to counteract the effect of the direction the disc moves through the pads. Using calipers like this the wrong way round would cause rapid uneven pad wear.

I did wonder about these things being directional. I noticed Wilwood brake discs seem to be left hand and right hand. Is there any way to check if they are directional? and how badly would the wear be affected?

Razman, i do plan of getting proper Wilwood calipers at some point, but not until after the build, maybe at the point when brake pads/discs need to be replaced. can't afford new calipers just now, thats money i should be spending on the engine at the moment hmm, or the back brakes, as i have nothing done there yet

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.