Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How to remove the CAT from an R1 silencer...
Winston Todge

posted on 28/10/07 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
How to remove the CAT from an R1 silencer...

I thought I'd just post this up as I found it a little fiddly... It maybe of use to some others...

I have limited space from the rear of my manifold to the nearside rear arch. I therefore thought I'd try something similar to Richard Miles (http://www.btinternet.com/~richard.d.miles/svaprep.html) by inserting a CAT into the rear of the standard R1 silencer that I'd picked up off of ebay for a few quid.

Here's a few piccies of the procedure I used... The one thing that really surprised me was just how small the motorcycle CAT is. It shows you why an additional larger CAT is usually required to pass SVA.

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

Description
Description

The threaded bar is a make-do slide hammer that seemed to work to remove the CAT.

Briefly... I cut the brazing off of the top of the silencer, once the end cap rivets had been drilled out. (Cutting compound is very useful here to speed up the drilling process!) I then drilled the top rivets out to separate the CAT from the inside end cap (not strictly necessary...) and then formed a piece of steel wire around two of the holes left in the inside end cap; which were tapped out to M6. I then used the slide hammer to whack out the CAT...

I plan on doing something very similar to Richard and weld a larger CAT into the end cap and then refitting it all. Fingers crossed it'll be okay for SVA.

Anyone have any ideas as to what CAT may fit? And maybe a cheap source?

Thanks,

Chris.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 28/10/07 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a small stainless cat from ebay (usa) that does cars up to 1.6 ltr. MK engineering does the same one. MK £80 mine £50 from ebay.

Dillinger1977

posted on 29/10/07 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
ditto the above.
mines fitted before the silencer but it worked a treat for sva.
its quite long so i shortened the leading section of pipe and then put a slot in so it could be tightened, and shortened the rear bit midway though the 'angled' part so it had a slightly larger diameter hole and could be welded onto the slightly larger silencer.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.