Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 can fitted!
Humbug

posted on 25/11/07 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
R1 can fitted!

A good couple of days work, I think. I did have a stainless silencer with built-in cat, but I was thinking about getting a cat-less can when an R1 carbon can came up on eBay.

The end caps are ali, held on with rivets, so it was a simple job to remove them.

The carbon fibre is a cylinder that slides off, so I reversed it in order that the strap (stainless, came with the can) in its new position would cover up the the same part as before, avoiding too many scuffs showing.

As my connecting pipe is 2" o/d, and the R1 has a 60mm o/d inlet pipe, Andy W made me up a short stainless inlet pipe to fit on the cutoff original inlet pipe, swaged to fit. Hampshe kindly tig welded it on, then I put the ali end cap back on.

At the other end, the end cap had a stubby little overpipe, but I wanted somethiong to direct the exhaust away from the rear wing a bit. Angle grinder to the rescue and I made a new tail pipe from the original inlet pipe that I had cut off. Luckily it had a built-in angle so I could fit it to angle out and down. As it is cosmetic, I just cut and bent some tabs from the original ali overpipe and riveted the new tailpipe on.

My original silencer had an ali strap fixed to a rubber mount which was itself fixed onto a bracket of angle steel bolted under the floor. Because the new can is slightly wider diameter and the new strap's bolt holes are further out, the old mount didn't work, so it came off. I used a piece of 3mm ali angle to make a small bracket, fixed it to the underneath of an angled rail inside the cockpit (slid through a slit in the foam to lie flush with the outer skin), then drilled through the bracket and the skin. The original rubber mount (Land Rover engine mount, so it should be strong enough!) is bolted onto the outside, and the strap fixed to it. I think it looks quite neat, and in fact it preserves the original bike application by having the can hanging down from an upper mounting point. This should also reduce stress on the strap, which was a bit of a worry when I tried it on the original mount. Rescued attachment R1 silencer.jpg
Rescued attachment R1 silencer.jpg

twybrow

posted on 25/11/07 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Looks good! How does it sound compared to the old one? Are you remapping? Is that a cat just after the collector, or is it all collector?

Humbug

posted on 25/11/07 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have only been out for a 10-15 minute run... sounds not a lot different from the old one.

Yes, that is a cat (pre-cat) as fitted on the original Rover 25. The R25 has a precat and then a separate cat further back along the system, so I did the same for SVA purposes. At some point I may replace the whole exhaust/manifold/pre-cat with something with no cat in it.

It has the standard ECU so I am leaving it as it was.

tjoh84

posted on 25/11/07 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
hiay looks good im in process of have the same can fitted lol was looking for can on ebay and like you said i saw this and had to have it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.