Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Insuring tools - Home Contents Insurance
Brook_lands

posted on 8/12/07 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
Insuring tools - Home Contents Insurance

Guys

It's home contents insurance renewal time but I'm a bit worried because may current insurer (Prudential) and many of the others I've tried limit claims for the contents of garages to £2000. I guess many of us in here, having built up a comprehensive set of tools, would find it hard to replace everything new for old for that kind of money. Can anyone suggest a company that either provide more cover as standard or don't want silly money for providing a more realistic figure for the value of tools in a garage.

[Edited on 8/12/07 by Brook_lands]

zxrlocost

posted on 8/12/07 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
what have you got that adds up to 2k

all cnc machines or something

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Mole

posted on 8/12/07 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Its probably quite a lot when you tot everytring up. A Welder, compressor, power drill etc. plus all the hand tools you accumulate overtime.
stevebubs

posted on 8/12/07 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Teng 1001 chest can be had for £1300...

But then add welders, engine cranes, jacks, compressor and other air/power tools - easy to break the 2k marker

[Edited on 8/12/07 by stevebubs]

stevebubs

posted on 8/12/07 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
PS Then add on the cost of the things - e.g. bikes, ladders etc....
fesycresy

posted on 8/12/07 at 04:46 PM Reply With Quote
My Prudential policy covers me for upto £40k, but it's only because I've had it with them for 14 years and that was the agreed amount back then.

When comparing prices I only found one other company who who insure the garage the same as the house and that was the Nationwide.

Give them a try.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up.

Krismc

posted on 8/12/07 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
...yes it soon mounts up,ive got a accountant and i gave her all my recipts for the past 5 years for garage tools and its way past £10k already.

Airlines, compressor, airtools...alone £1000, then pillar drills, engine hoist, engine stand, tool chest- soon adds up!

Built, Ivaed, Drove and now Sold - 2011 MNR VORTX RT+ 2000cc Zetec on R1 Throttle boddies.

jollygreengiant

posted on 8/12/07 at 05:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc
...yes it soon mounts up,ive got a accountant and i gave her all my recipts for the past 5 years for garage tools and its way past £10k already.

Airlines, compressor, airtools...alone £1000, then pillar drills, engine hoist, engine stand, tool chest- soon adds up!

Ha chicken feed, my tool box and contents are somewhere in excess of £20k.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

spaximus

posted on 8/12/07 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
I am insured with NFU contents in garage value of £20k. Yes it soon adds up with snap on tools and lathe compressor etc etc. If you just add up ordinary tools £2k is not a lot, and remember if you claim and they think that you were underinsured the payout will be reduced.
The other company to look at is Hiscox premiums are variable.

andybod

posted on 8/12/07 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
i would estimate my tools at home to b e somewhere around the £5,5000 mark and my work tool box was recently valued at £27,000 for company insurance do not under estimate how much tools cost to replace i also have a full list of all the tools i have at home and work i try to update the list anually and keep receipts worth
rusty nuts

posted on 8/12/07 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
quote:
Originally posted by Krismc

Ha chicken feed, my tool box and contents are somewhere in excess of £20k.

Bet you got most of the Snap On stuff cheap!

I was advised by my old insurance broker to list all of my tools and to video everything as well so that I had evidence in the event of a claim . Also all tools were engraved with my name and post code.

[Edited on 8/12/07 by rusty nuts]

Dangle_kt

posted on 8/12/07 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
you could insure an imaginary part built for a few £k. Part built insurance covers tools too does it not?

I got a quote on a £7k agreed value of £57 including tools cover. And I live in a rough part of liverpool.

Just an idea?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.