Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: making bushes
flyingkiwi

posted on 6/10/03 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
making bushes

OK last time I harp on about bushes.

Has anyone out there tried to make their own bushes?

Have the mean's (a lathe and someone to operate it) to do it but not sure which option to take, nylon or poly? Is there a great difference in handling and is one easier to lathe than the other? plus do you need to have a top hat on the bush, or would a simple washer do the trick? Any idea's would be great before I blow more money on another useless bit!

cheers
Chris

[Edited on 6/10/03 by flyingkiwi]

It Runs!!!!! Bring on the SVA!

givemethebighammer

posted on 6/10/03 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Made some poly bushes on the lathe for the tie rods on my old fiat X19.

Horrible stuff to machine, it tends to "grab" on the cutting tool producing an uneven surface. I would imagine nylon being harder would be far easier to work with. Maybe a lathe expert could do a better job, I certainly won't be trying again !!

Mark Allanson

posted on 6/10/03 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
Another X19 man gone the locost route!

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

givemethebighammer

posted on 6/10/03 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah that old rusty, ridden with electrical problems, leaking roof, crap transmission, complete pile of fun car.

Wet roundabout + X19 + to much loud pedal = merry go round.

Get em spinning and they don't want to stop.

Bitch to work on though. I had the Bertone version in a metallic / pearl red, 1500cc. But about as close to owning a ferrari as I am ever likely to get.

Alan B

posted on 6/10/03 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
Nylon is no good unless you are using it make bearing type bushes...which you could only use at the front....otherwise you need something compliant like Poly....

and yes it is a real bastard to machine....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
suparuss

posted on 7/10/03 at 05:41 AM Reply With Quote
have you tried freezing the stuff before machining? works with rubber, if the stuff is too soft to be accurate freeze it so is really hard and run at a fairly high speed with a nice sharp cutter. i have machined cast nylon before which was pretty easy but not poly so cant really comment. poly is less porous than nylon i think so probably a bit worse than nylon.

Russ.

Hornet

posted on 7/10/03 at 06:58 AM Reply With Quote
U will need a top hat... and a good machine man with the correct tools will machine no problem. I had a set of 26 made... no probs at all, and the fit perfect.
Hope it helps

rell

posted on 7/10/03 at 07:34 AM Reply With Quote
never machined poly but nylon machines ok. just put a good steep angle on the top edge works ok for me
also wach out for flex probably not to bad with a short stub but if your turning a long lenght and parting off a load at once
it will flex in the middle and will end up over size. the only thing about useing a stedy to sort this out is that it marks the nylon.

flyingkiwi

posted on 7/10/03 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the idea's guys, now for today's stupid question. What do the top hat's do? Is it to prevent the bush slipping during forward and aft movement?

Was thinking along the lines of getting a bar of poly already machined to the size of the bush tubes (or slightly larger) wedging them into the tube then sticking poly washers of a larger size at the ends? Any thoughts on that idea?

Cheers
Chris

JoelP

posted on 7/10/03 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
without sounding like im not in the locost spirit, is there a reason why you cant buy them? it certainly seems a lot easier than making them. if you have to make them then good luck!

i think the top hat does indeed cussion the ends of the bush tubes, to stop fore and aft movement.

Peteff

posted on 7/10/03 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Polyurethane is moulded like a liquid and cures in the mould or injection moulded isn't it?. That's what my nephew who is a dental technician tells me. They use something similar but a lot harder to make dentures.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

flyingkiwi

posted on 7/10/03 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
There's no reason why I can't buy them (sudden windfall this afternoon has provided me with the funds to get them without the missus moaning - love fruit machines!) but having brought almost everything so far I thought I might actually try and make something. I've heard people have made them before and thought if I could make them that would be cool.

Will look into the idea of moulding them, sound like a good way to make some for my boring car.

Cheers
Chris

darren(SA)

posted on 15/10/03 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
A little trick to cutting rubber or urethane on a lathe:

U need to make yourself a tool that can fit a nice sized blade(clamp it in), those used in stanley knife,about 25mm high will do. Simply slice thru the bush with no hassles.

We've got a rubber moulding company and use this method occasionally to cut once off bushes now and again.

cheers darren

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
flyingkiwi

posted on 15/10/03 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I've got something like that at home, sort of a paint scraper, holds a stanley knive blade at a 45 odd angle. Something like that??

darren(SA)

posted on 16/10/03 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
More 90', just as if you were going to cut it by hand, works like a charm!

cheers darren

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.