Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tronic T4X Battery Charger Operation
v8kid

posted on 17/12/07 at 03:33 PM Reply With Quote
Tronic T4X Battery Charger Operation

Following previous threads on this forum I bought one of these and am delighted with it.

However it does not operate in a similar way to CTECK chargers which are the reccommended chargers for optima hawker varley etc.

The bulk charging mode is similar where it operates like any other charger, just shoving the amps in. When the voltage reaches 14.7 volts (14.6 on mine) the bulk charging stops, the battery volts drop to 12.7 volts (about 80% charge) and it switches to charging at a lower rate. In the CTEK case instead of switching to a lower rate it switches to pulse charging presumably to pack the amps in quicker without damaging the battery. Interestingly the CTECK then switches to a maintenance mode of a few milliamp

So in conclusion the Tronic works well but probably takes longer to put the last 20% of charge in than the CTEK. Bearing in mind that it costs 75% less I can live with that.

Tronic claim that the charger can be left continually connected but without further tests, which I can't be arsed doing, I'm not so sure. The final stage top up current seems to be at 800ma which is too high for a maintenance charge but it may be the impedance of my cheap multimeter was upsetting the internal electronics of the Tronic.

Has anyone any experience of long term use of Tronic chargers? (or a better multimeter for testing them!!!)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 17/12/07 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
See my photoarchive for a diagram of the operation

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/upload/tronict4x%20(600%20x%20521).jpg

[Edited on 17/12/07 by v8kid]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
nitram38

posted on 17/12/07 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
I use the Ctek one on my redtop 25 battery (permenantly connected) and I have had no problems.
I didn't think £40 for the charger was that bad, considering it does not fry batteries.

v8kid

posted on 17/12/07 at 04:31 PM Reply With Quote
Yup £40 is OK and CTECK certainly is a v good charger.

I'm wondering if the Tronic at £10 is as good and although my tests question it, it may be my testing technique, or more correctly equipment which is questionable.

nitram38

posted on 17/12/07 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
The ctek stops charging when the battery is fully charged and monitors it until it drops below 95% and then does a trickle until restored.
I think you get what you pay for in this case.
I once bought a charger that is supposed to be connected all of the time (from donnington) and "save" your battery, but it just boiled the battery dry.
The ctek can also recover batteries that have been discharged and from very low voltages.

MkIndy7

posted on 17/12/07 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
My Tronic appears to have brough a battery back from beyond in the past, it would go flat in a week wheras now it lasts atleast 2.

Although the 800ma final charge might seem high, on my Tin-top the Alarm takes something like 200ma atleast so it brings that down.

I have also seen the green light go out when its connected so it either finally does stop charging of the battery was buggered! ( I knew it wasn't healthy and was 9 years old!)

[Edited on 17/12/07 by MkIndy7]

Peteff

posted on 17/12/07 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
That sounds like an Optimate system. I put a battery on my Optimate which had died on the van and wouldn't turn it over. It was on a remedial charge for four days, I left it on as an experiment and after that the green light came on and the battery is now powering my daughter's Corsa with no problems.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.