Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ZX12 ENGINE
KJK

posted on 18/12/07 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
ZX12 ENGINE

is there any differance in bhp for different years?
Mr Whippy

posted on 18/12/07 at 08:04 AM Reply With Quote
you wrote all that /\ amazing

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 18/12/07 at 09:32 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mangogrooveworkshop

googles your pal

Just so long as you search for the correct bike!!!

scootz

posted on 18/12/07 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Was just thinking that!

If i recall correctly the ZX12 and the ZX14 are 2 different beasties...

twybrow

posted on 18/12/07 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I understood, there were two models. The first model is down on power slightly (circa 165bhp) and ended in 2002. The 2003+ model is the one with the full 180+bhp. I would talk to Malc (Yorkshire Engines) or Team Hellfire as they run a later model ZX12 lump.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 18/12/07 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
I believe the ZX12R "B" engine is preferable to the "A" engine - cant remember where i read it but was going to fit a ZX12 myself until i changed my mind and have decided to go for a ZX10R instead (far simpler / cheaper for me with my Tiger as i wont need a dry sump kit with the 10).

Not sure if its just down to power with the "B" - i'd suggest getting in touch with Malc at Yorkshire Engines who is also a great source for your chosen engine (do I get commission Malc)

Paul

Smartripper

posted on 18/12/07 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't make a difference what year, the a series have more high end power, the b serie more midrange, but the power will be the same.... the 2000 engine haven't got a restriction in 1-2-3 gear...!!!
http://jarle.eltelevest.no/Kawasaki/Other/Teck/teck_zx-r.htm

Look overthere for the compleet spec...

Hellfire

posted on 18/12/07 at 12:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KJK
is there any differance in bhp for different years?

No. There you go.

Phil

Hellfire

posted on 18/12/07 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6
I believe the ZX12R "B" engine is preferable to the "A" engine - cant remember where i read it but was going to fit a ZX12 myself until i changed my mind and have decided to go for a ZX10R instead (far simpler / cheaper for me with my Tiger as i wont need a dry sump kit with the 10).

Not sure if its just down to power with the "B" - i'd suggest getting in touch with Malc at Yorkshire Engines who is also a great source for your chosen engine (do I get commission Malc)

Paul

In 2002, the ZX12 got a major revamp. These are the second generation or B models. Engine improvements included a heavier balanced crank for smoother riding as well as oval throttle pulleys for smoother acceleration. The A1 model had issues with the clutch which was quickly resolved by Kawasaki on the A2 models.

Paul, just out of interest, how come you don't need a dry sump kit for the 10 but you would with the 12?

Phil

Paul TigerB6

posted on 18/12/07 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HellfirePaul, just out of interest, how come you don't need a dry sump kit for the 10 but you would with the 12?

Phil

In simple terms - the Tiger is pretty low so space is an issue with the wet sump and for what i intend doing a doubt a ZX12R would last even with a modified wet sump (sprinting / hillclimbing with very sticky slicks so pretty high G). I am going to be very tight with a ZX10R as it is 600mm tall and thats about the limit i have whilst retaining sufficient ground clearance. It also works out cheaper, simpler and keeps me in the right class going with a sub 1000cc bike engine.

Maybe i'll find out i need to dry sump the ZX10R too - but not heard of any failures yet. I'm leaving my chassis mods to give space for a dry sump tank just in case, and fitting the battery there now (shortened passenger footwell)

As a matter of interest, do you know how tall your ZX12R is Phil???

[Edited on 18/12/07 by Paul TigerB6]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.