Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: This is probably a stupid idea
toady

posted on 21/12/07 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
This is probably a stupid idea

Is there a reason that I cant put a bike lump in front of the axle and sit in front of it. Using a fairly standard book chassis, bird engine the same way as in a bike, and a very short chain driving a sprocket fixed to the half shafts. The seats could be further forward keeping the car about the same length.
OK, i knew it was stupid!

blakep82

posted on 21/12/07 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
mmm, you'd need a diff in there. not sure a sprocket on the half shafts would work... maybe a FWD gearbox in there somehow? maybe left in 4th gear? don't know

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ned

posted on 21/12/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
see the fury menace.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bonzoronnie

posted on 21/12/07 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Quad bike

I would imagine it would turn the car into a great big quad bike.

Definately going to need some extra gearing, somewhere

Ronnie

hillbillyracer

posted on 21/12/07 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
A chain drive to a sprocket on a sealed diff is how the bike engined hillclimbers & autograssers do it. Obviously a chain is going to require more looking after but otherwise why wouldn't it work for the road?
Coose

posted on 22/12/07 at 07:53 AM Reply With Quote
A Scottoiler would help no end with chain life.

As an example of this kind of car, kindly also note the Sylva R1ot....

Spin 'er off Well...

LBMEFM

posted on 22/12/07 at 07:57 AM Reply With Quote
Chain driven cars common practice in hill climbers and race cars in the 750 Motor Club. Radicals and karts also operate on a simular principle. The only problem for a road car is that the rear wheels are fixed as there will be no diff, therfore when cornering the inner wheel will travel at a shorter distance than the outer wheel and scrubbing of tyres will occur.
lsdweb

posted on 22/12/07 at 09:04 AM Reply With Quote
Hilclimb and sprint car chain drive to a Quaife diff. Simple and effective!

Wyn

MkIndy7

posted on 22/12/07 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
If you watched the Race of Champions last week the ROC buggies had blackbird engines in the back in what looked like its original orientation, it might be worth looking up how they do it.
toady

posted on 22/12/07 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies, maybe not quite as stupid as I thought. Thought it would be easier with the engine the right way round, use the std manifold and everything. Probably wouldnt suffer with oil surge as much either.
lsdweb

posted on 22/12/07 at 02:24 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like a good idea to me :-)

Standard manifold might not work as these sometimes run under the engine which may not be an option of you're trying to mount it as low as possible.

There are quite a few photos which might inspire you on my web site.

Wyn

russbost

posted on 22/12/07 at 02:46 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing wrong with the idea, been done 1000's of times see below my Toyota MR2 diff with ZZR1100 engine, complete with electric reverse

[img]http://[/img]

Only thing I would say is that these installartions take up more length than you might think, you'll struggle to get the distance from the front of the headers to the centreline of the diff much under 26", don't know how that dimension sits with the room behind a seven's seat, might make for a very light front end too.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
ChrisGamlin

posted on 22/12/07 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
Worth looking at a Sylva R1ot as well, thats pretty much as youve described in terms of layout and chassis design.

blue2cv

posted on 23/12/07 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
You could also look at my archive pics and nitrams

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.