Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Has anyone completed a 2004- or later CBR1000RR Indy?
beppesignori
Contributor

Posts 82
Registered 7/8/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MK Indy Sold. Contemplating V8 midi scratch build

posted on 22/12/07 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
Has anyone completed a 2004- or later CBR1000RR Indy?

I have had a few minor problems with my engine installations, most of which are solved, but some still remain. The biggest problem is getting the thing to fit under the hood. The secondary injectors in the airbox sit quite high over the inlet ports.
Has anyone tilted the throttle body assembly or found any other sollutions to the Airbox problem?

Cheers, Claes

Mr Whippy

posted on 23/12/07 at 01:19 AM Reply With Quote
bonnet bulge

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
beppesignori
Contributor

Posts 82
Registered 7/8/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MK Indy Sold. Contemplating V8 midi scratch build

posted on 23/12/07 at 07:23 PM Reply With Quote
The bulge on the standard MK hood is too small, and a bigger one will look fairly stupid. The engine is already as low in the chassis as it goes with the rotating pickup sump from AB...Back to the drawing board..
lococost

posted on 24/12/07 at 08:25 AM Reply With Quote
super7cars do it
http://super7cars.com/Gallery/?album=Intake

I've done it too (see www) but haven't driven yet, so I can't comment on if it has any disadvantages

minordelay

posted on 10/1/08 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Beppesignori, you have U2U

Lococost, wouldn't mind some pics of how you tackled this problem. I'm facing the same problems soon.

progers

posted on 11/1/08 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
The solution from super7cars extents the intake tract and angles the throttle bodies downwards. This has two obvious disadvantages

1) The extended inlet tract will affect the power made by the engine, these lengths are tuned by the engine manufacturer for optimum performance - adding 6 or so inches will have a significant effect on peak power.
2) The foam filter placement will pick up lots of hot air from the engine and radiator - another power killer.

I wouldn't be surprised if those mods knocked 20hp off the engines theoretical max. I'm open to being proved wrong though....

- Paul

minordelay

posted on 11/1/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
Yes I'd agree with that too. Where are the second set of injectors in that setup. The solution I'm thinking is to build an aluminium plenum fed from a cone type filter mounted in a cold air box.

Lots more to do before that though.

[Edited on 12/1/08 by minordelay]

lococost

posted on 12/1/08 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, forgot to put the site up in my profile, it's there now (the www button).

More pics and info on the 3th page.

I agree that it's not ideal, but I needed to get it to fit under the bonnet. It does have its advantages: I can use the orignal trumpets, I'll be making an airbox with the volume of the original one, it'll be exiting through the original airfilter and later on will be fed by ram air coming from the side of the car. (main function will be to get in cold air, but any small effect of ram is helpfull )

Hellfire

posted on 12/1/08 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
Unless you improve the cars aerodynamics in order to achieve speeds of over 150 mph, you aint gonna get any benefit whatsoever of ram air.

Phil

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.