Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Can you buy blades for a mitre saw so it can cut metal?
Dangle_kt

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
Can you buy blades for a mitre saw so it can cut metal?

brother in law has old mitre saw rotting in his garage. He's moved away for a few years and was wondering if I could use it as a chop saw for metal.

I'm struglling to find a metal cutting blade though as I dont know the proper name for it or where to purchase.

Is this plauseable?

Thanks

Marlon

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
can't think of the name of them off hand but yes you can get bldes that cut both steel and ally if your saw is big and hard enough, we use them at work.

john

Band Anyone?

Linky to SWMBO 's band
Linky to Brother in laws band
MKoc 1081

Volvorsport

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:52 PM Reply With Quote
Rage ! , i think thats what theyre called , £179 is what the mitres saw csts .

www.evolutionpowertools.com

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

Dangle_kt

posted on 28/12/07 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
I've got the saw, I just need blades for metal.

Are they blades or discs? Do you use oil to lube it or just chop through?

Rhys aka Celtic Tools

posted on 28/12/07 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
brother in law has old mitre saw rotting in his garage. He's moved away for a few years and was wondering if I could use it as a chop saw for metal.

I'm struglling to find a metal cutting blade though as I dont know the proper name for it or where to purchase.

Is this plauseable?

Thanks

Hi Dangle_kt can you tell me the size of the blade overall and the size of the bore (the hole in the middle of the blade)
and I will have a look my shop for one for you.

ta

Rhys

For all your tool needs contact Rhys @ Celtic Tools 02920 619137
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/celtic-tools
Big discount for all my fellow locost builders

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Dangle_kt

posted on 28/12/07 at 06:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhys aka Celtic Tools
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt

Is this plauseable?

Thanks

Hi Dangle_kt can you tell me the size of the blade overall and the size of the bore (the hole in the middle of the blade)
and I will have a look my shop for one for you.

ta

Rhys

cheers mate, I havn't got the sizes to hand. I'm over there tomorrow so will u2u you then. I do know that it doesn't currently have a blade in there. So i'll see if I can figure it out by looking out how it mounts etc.

Cheers mate.

JoelP

posted on 28/12/07 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
the rage blade is like a normal blade but with teeth facing both ways, probably made of something tough. You can also get large abrasive discs like from a grinder.

heres the rage one:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/57380/Blades/TCT-Circular-Saw-Blades/Evolution-TCT-Saw-Blades/Evolution-Multi-Purpose-Blade-355mm

or this abrasive one:

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/32164/Blades/Metal-Cutting-Discs/DeWalt-Cut-Off-Blade-355-x-25-4mm-A30TBF

delboy

posted on 28/12/07 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Please be very carefull fitting a metal cutting bade in your mitre saw. The rage ones do work, however, the speed of the saw is much less than your standard saw , check the spec and you'll see. I'd be concerned that a faster roatating saw might cause problems with the blade technology.
Dangle_kt

posted on 28/12/07 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by delboy
Please be very carefull fitting a metal cutting bade in your mitre saw. The rage ones do work, however, the speed of the saw is much less than your standard saw , check the spec and you'll see. I'd be concerned that a faster roatating saw might cause problems with the blade technology.

what about using the abrasive one joel mentioned.

delboy

posted on 28/12/07 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Can't say on abrasive type one, only mentioned the other as my brother, whose an ironmonger and sells such things warned me off when I asked about doing the same. Having looked into the rage technology saws, I found out that what he had said was correct. I just didn't want to see someone else make a mistake like I was about to.
niceperson709

posted on 28/12/07 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
i used the abrasive cutting discs in a cheap mitre saw and It worked fine but as the disc wore down it became necessary to pack under the steel so the disc would go right through. Watch out for the fillings ,don't press too hard and if there is a plastic guard on the saw it may melt but if you look at the saw as being disposable you will find that it does the job well enough. It make a lot of noise so wear muffs as well as safety glasses.
Cheers

Best wishes IAIN
life is not the rehearsal , it's the show so don't sit there thinking about it DO IT NOW
http://iainseven.wordpress.com/

Rhys aka Celtic Tools

posted on 28/12/07 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Wood saws and metal saws do operate at different speeds and have different bores
Im not sure on fitting rage blades to a non rage machine but abrasive discs should be ok

For all your tool needs contact Rhys @ Celtic Tools 02920 619137
www.stores.ebay.co.uk/celtic-tools
Big discount for all my fellow locost builders

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Echidna

posted on 28/12/07 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Could i use abrasive discs on my low-speed rage?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.