Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mig welding a motor bike frame can it be done?
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/1/08 at 12:13 AM Reply With Quote
Mig welding a motor bike frame can it be done?

yes another post from that mad man...

I’ve been looking over some sites about how to weld up a simple chopper frame as a bit of fun. Many sites go on about TIG welding and how great it is, no doubt that’s the case but I struggle to believe that it’s the only thing to use, after all it’s really only recently that TIG’s have come down in price, but still not low enough for me. Yet that is what some are saying and that MIG welding has little place in frame construction.

I have seen some DIY sites that are using MIG’s and although the welds are not as attractive, certainly seem fine for the job. I intend on using nothing more than a (don’t laugh) 250cc (I said don’t…laugh) engine so have little fear that it might rip apart from the awesome torque and was going to use swing arm rear suspension, so even less stress on the frame and also my arse.

I’m sure there will be many naysayer’s out there who declare I have too little knowledge to risk the lives of my fellow brit’s by attempting this death machine. But I want to have a go.

So any idea’s from this great reservoir of knowledge?

[Edited on 11/1/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 11/1/08 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
i think they like tig because it look neater, and chopper frames are largely on show? maybe?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

locogeoff

posted on 11/1/08 at 01:28 AM Reply With Quote
I agree on the aesthetic reasons for the chopper frames, also bike frames, at least old british ones anyway) tended to be made out of high spec steel, or at least high spec for the day, and for that reason they tended to be lugged, pinned and brazed (possibly bronze welded cannot remember off hand).

I would be a bit concerned about creating stress concentrations around the mig weld due to the profile of the weld.

just my tuppence mind

skodaman

posted on 11/1/08 at 02:01 AM Reply With Quote
I'd copy the basic dimensions from something modern that handles well. What engine are u planning on using? I remember the welds on my 1980's Jap bikes being like piles of pigeon pooh so shouldn't be that difficult to make something better. Throw in a single rear shock and a brembo caliper on the front and u could have something pretty good. You'd be hard pushed to make something as bad as a Harley anyway.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Fred W B

posted on 11/1/08 at 08:24 AM Reply With Quote
Welding is welding is welding.

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Bluemoon

posted on 11/1/08 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
You could think about braising?
JAG

posted on 11/1/08 at 09:06 AM Reply With Quote
Loads of people have welded their own chassis for their Locost - I can't see any difference.

I am assuming you are planning on using steel for this chopper chassis of course.

Justin

Who is this super hero? Sarge? ...No.
Rosemary, the telephone operator? ...No.
Penry, the mild-mannered janitor? ...Could be!

D Beddows

posted on 11/1/08 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Not at all mad this one I know a fair few people who've made their own hardtail frame using a MIG welder and none of them fell apart. Obviously being hardtail ie no rear suspension the shock loads are higher as well.

You could probably argue that MIG welding isn't ideal for the application but in the real world it works.

There you go you see, I'm not against all your mad ideas

02GF74

posted on 11/1/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bluemoon
You could think about braising?

you mean like putting the frame in a large saucepan with some vegetables and lamb stock and leaving it in the oven for 2 hours, gas mark 3? I don't think that will be very effective.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
I intend on using nothing more than a (don’t laugh) 250cc (I said don’t…laugh) engine so have little fear that it might rip apart from the awesome torque and was going to use swing arm rear suspension, so even less stress on the frame and also my arse.

put it this way, a bicycle will have less power than yer engine and will have a much lower top speed, I can tell you you would not want to be on one at even 20 mph when the frame gives out!

tks

posted on 11/1/08 at 10:24 AM Reply With Quote
you say that tig is expensive i partly agree with that.

on fleebay prices are as low as 200euro for an Tig welder. i'm with you that that doesn't buy you a gas bottle and regulator etc. etc. BUT lower as 200euro for a 140AMP HF unit you aren't gonna pay.

also if you think that with TIG the result will be better/nicer or more secure then i wont try to save those 200+euros.

anyway if you can weld MIG wy doubt??

To build a bike you need to be sure of your welding quality. sow it looks like you aren't that secure... after all WELDING = WELDING.. and its just down the quality wich you generate = strenght.

so my advice spent those 200euros on a TIG unit and weld the chasis that way.
you are looking to doubtfull about your own MIG welding quality and building then a bike is in my eyes a to high risk.

(imagine you ball head rips of or the steering etc. etc.)

if i'm wrong i appolozise its just a question wich comes down (for me) to confidence.

regards,

Tks

[Edited on 11/1/08 by tks]

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

Peteff

posted on 11/1/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I've mig welded bits onto an existing frame for a friend who is building one. I don't like choppers personally but if they are done right, not these tarts handbag things with tassels on the handlebars and forks 10' long, they are o.k.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Hammerhead

posted on 11/1/08 at 10:49 AM Reply With Quote
Here is a good website, you can even download plans for the frames.

http://www.chopperhandbook.com/

I watch American chopper and biker build off quite a lot and have noticed that they tend to tig weld the frames and use mig on non structural parts. They seem to use the mig to tack everything in place then finish off with the tig. I guess as stated before this may be for looks.

I wonder if the rollcages made by MK, mac1, mnr etc etc are mig welded?

Bluemoon

posted on 11/1/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I never could spell!
kikiturbo

posted on 11/1/08 at 12:07 PM Reply With Quote
Ducati frames are mig welded, nothing wrong in that, especially if you go for mild steel...
trikerneil

posted on 11/1/08 at 12:50 PM Reply With Quote
MIG's OK

Have a look at a Japanese motorcycle frame from the seventies to see how bad the welding can be before you get trouble.

My Trikes are MIGged

Neil

ACE Cafe - Just say No.

locogeoff

posted on 11/1/08 at 01:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trikerneil
MIG's OK

Have a look at a Japanese motorcycle frame from the seventies to see how bad the welding can be before you get trouble.

I would say a 70s jap bike frame was an example of how badly you can get it wrong, though to be serious a lot of the problems they has where due to putting massively over powered engines into a woefully inadequate frame, rather than the quality of the welding

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/1/08 at 02:28 PM Reply With Quote
well that's good to know and the web site is very good, cheers.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

Coose

posted on 13/1/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by locogeoff
brazed (possibly bronze welded cannot remember off hand).

I would be a bit concerned about creating stress concentrations around the mig weld due to the profile of the weld.

just my tuppence mind

Brazing and bronze welding are one and the same - the correct term is actually bronze welding!

Stress concentrations around the weld are a possibility, but 95% of motorbike frames are MIG welded! Even on aluminium frames such as Fireblades etc., the only TIG welded bits are those on show. Have a look under the seat and it'll be MIG'd....

Spin 'er off Well...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.