Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: nos?
kev R1

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:03 PM Reply With Quote
nos?

any of you bec guys fitted a nitrous oxide system on your cars yet?
Paradoxia0

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Is that even road legal?
dave-69isit

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
zxr locost
imp paul

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:10 PM Reply With Quote
see malc at MB CUSTOMS he has done this lots of times and is the turbo king
dave-69isit

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
not legal but thy need to prove you are useing it ie thay need to catch you first
PAUL FISHER

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:17 PM Reply With Quote
"carnut" has fitted nos on his blackbird mk,his was the fastest car on the mk york drag day,11.7 1/4,had a good look at his car on the day,if I recall he had a wizzard of nos direct port system,with a progressive controler,with 75bhp jets on the day,I think a couple of weeks later he went up to 100bhp,and he found the limits of the blackbird lump
zxrlocost

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
dirty great big bottle on the back

absolutely mental not safe unless you have major No Fear factor on the road i sort of meet the requirements maybe I am running to much power and need to change it down a bit

I have a controller and "go baby go" button on the steering wheel.

pressed it last month with a customer in the car changed his perspective on life

Description
Description

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

kev R1

posted on 14/1/08 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
wicked just what i want! zxrlocost can you u2u me approx cost of it? etc? cheers
bigrich

posted on 15/1/08 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
Q) Is nitrous legal on road cars?
A) The legality of nitrous use on the road varies from country to country, even within the EU. However, contrary to what many people believe (including some police officers) nitrous oxide injection is legal for road use in the UK and many other countries (just as are turbo chargers and superchargers). According to the Ministry of Transport, the Highway Code and the MOT handbook there is no law prohibiting the use of nitrous injection. However just as with any tuning modification, the owner must inform their insurance company and obtain adequate cover otherwise any performance modification would be illegal. Therefore the only way you will break the law by having your street car fitted with a nitrous kit in the UK, is if you fail to inform your insurance company that you have one. Insuring a nitrous injected vehicle has become easier since WON joined forces with Adrian Flux to provide all their customers with a better chance of obtaining adequate insurance cover. Some other insurance companies such as Greenlight Insurance also offer cover for nitrous equipped cars.
There is a degree of confusion over the need to have a hazard warning sticker on the outside of the car. We previously explained that nitrous oxide is neither a flammable nor a hazardous gas but it is an oxidiser. There is a legal requirement for commercial vehicles to display a suitable sticker but this does not apply to private vehicles, which are not even obliged to display a green compressed gas sticker. However, displaying such a warning sticker might well be advantageous to you and the emergency services if you were to be involved in any kind of accident, as this would inform them that you were carrying a container of compressed oxidiser

taken from wizards of nos website FAQ section

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

MB CUSTOMS

posted on 15/1/08 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
Nitrous oxide is the best power increase for your £££ than any other tuning method, and if fitted correctly will not damage your engine. As long as you stay within the parameters of the set up.If you want to upgrade the kits power output you must also upgrade the engine internals to match,such as forged pistons,carrillo rods etc, the main problems i find as a tuner is that with nos and turbo kits all people want to do is keep turning up the boost,or fitting bigger nitrous jets,without upgrading internal parts,then when it all goes wrong they are on the phone wanting help. If you are thinking of going down this tuning route find a tuner who has experiance of nos,talk through your power requirements with him,in regards to reliable horsepower increases that you motor can cope with.

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
speedyxjs

posted on 15/1/08 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by zxrlocost
dirty great big bottle on the back

absolutely mental not safe unless you have major No Fear factor on the road i sort of meet the requirements maybe I am running to much power and need to change it down a bit

I have a controller and "go baby go" button on the steering wheel.

pressed it last month with a customer in the car changed his perspective on life

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

welderman

posted on 15/1/08 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Malc, wondered when you would put in a post.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

BenB

posted on 15/1/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MB CUSTOMS
Nitrous oxide is the best power increase for your £££ than any other tuning method, and if fitted correctly will not damage your engine. As long as you stay within the parameters of the set up.If you want to upgrade the kits power output you must also upgrade the engine internals to match,such as forged pistons,carrillo rods etc, the main problems i find as a tuner is that with nos and turbo kits all people want to do is keep turning up the boost,or fitting bigger nitrous jets,without upgrading internal parts,then when it all goes wrong they are on the phone wanting help. If you are thinking of going down this tuning route find a tuner who has experiance of nos,talk through your power requirements with him,in regards to reliable horsepower increases that you motor can cope with.

Well that's kind of true

NOS is good for short blasts of increased power. However, you can strap a turbo or blower on a car for not much money and that's it- increased power from then on. With NOS you have to keep on re-filling the bottle (and that isn't cheap) and if you're using up the gas at a fair wack the bottles don't last long.... So NOS is a cheap bang per buck unless you use it all the time!!!

RazMan

posted on 15/1/08 at 11:47 AM Reply With Quote
I was originally intending to put NO2 my V6 but got carried away with simply driving it

A wet system is a must and a progressive controller makes it MUCH safer to use - you can feed the power in more like a turbo over a set range or time scale. I seem to remember that any more than 50% of your original engine (standard tune) is not recommended - any more than that and you have to beef up the internals.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 15/1/08 at 07:13 PM Reply With Quote
i run 75hp progressive wizards set up on my van and i also have a big bottle so i can fill mine and other peoples bottles too, i dont think you will see any change from a grand for a progressive system and with the tl,s crank and second gear weaknesses i wouldnt advise a fixed hit above 25hp . its cheaper then a turbo re fills can be costly if you dont have a big bottle.
NS Dev

posted on 15/1/08 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Nitrous is great fun, but it is basically a very addictive drug, after a few runs you want more, then more and more etc.

Only system I have ever come across that was actually "practical" and useable as a performance mod in the "real world" was a nitrous assisted turbo setup on a Jeep Cherokee 4.0 petrol.

This, once armed, injected nitrous progressively at full throttle opening until the boost pressure reached a certain level, where the nitrous then faded progressively out again.

This conversion used a big turbo and the nitrous basically masked the terrible lag on it, which made it much better for towing (yep, towing a loaded 4 wheel car trailer around the country, certainly surprised a few at the lights)

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.