Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blackbird Oil starvation issues?
Ryan.G

posted on 15/1/08 at 10:54 PM Reply With Quote
Blackbird Oil starvation issues?

Hi

This is my 1st post on here so Hello all

Anyway i have just purchased a Formula 27 kit car with a super blackbird engine fitted and unfortunatly have come across some of the posts on here mentioning about the oil starvation issues that the blackbird engines has when mounted inline. I am wanting to track the car so ideally would like to find a way to get round it.

My first question is do the super blackbird engines have these same issues...

People have mentioned dry sump setups and a system called accusumps but does any companies sell these kits for the blackbirds or offer fitting.

I do have a spare black bird engine and was wondering if any internal work could be done easily also.

Thanks for your time

Ryan

TOO BADD

posted on 15/1/08 at 11:30 PM Reply With Quote
Cant tell you anything about bird engines but an Accusump is an efficient way to go. Buy one with the electric switch. got mine off ebay in the states half price brand new from Canton. Good rate still and if they mistakenly mark the customs form 'used parts' you don't have to pay duty !
Ryan.G

posted on 16/1/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your reply

Has anyone got an info on how an accusump kit is fitted to a Bird engine?

Also i read that it was better to go for the manual valve type as the electric valves can become a restriction?

Andy B

posted on 16/1/08 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
Accusump system

We Have fitted a number of accusump systems to various motors including my own F1 sidecar. The issue you refer to re electric versus manual valve can be an problem. The way the electric valve is designed means it is much much slower for the oil to refill the accusump so the issue you can get is having taken one fast corner and the accusump having done its job and fed oil into the engine, you then enter another bend and the accusump has not refilled and cannot then protect the motor during this period of surge. I checked this with the guys at Canton and they confirmed our suspicions and we went manual. To give you some idea of the delay I watched the accusump cut in around Gerards at Mallory and with the electric valve it had not recovered for the brakes at the hairpin, changed to manual and sump was reinstated to full pressure half way down the straight.
As for install you need to mount the sump longitudinally with air guage end raised slighly so any air in the accusump rises up behind the oil charge, so you push oil not air into the motor. It is best to plumb it directly into the end of the main oil gallery if possible but failing that you would need to t into the oil cooler return line. If you need any help give me a call on 01449 736633
regards
Andy

Ryan.G

posted on 16/1/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy

Thanks for your reply

Im looking to install it where the oil pressure switch is fitted as many members have recommended this place when i have searched on this issue.

Do you offer kits to be able to fit the accusump kits. Ie the oil fittings etc or do you know what the thread sizes is where the pressure switch is located so i can get some made up?

Ryan

Ryan.G

posted on 22/1/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
Would just like to say a BIG THANKS to Andy.B and Jon.I for there advice over the last week.

Will use Andy's company for anything i need BEC now.

[Edited on 22/1/08 by Ryan.G]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.