Fred W B

posted on 24/1/08 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
Have I found the screen?

GD sportscars Lola T70 full screen

Cheers

Fred W B

gd sportscars

[Edited on 24/1/08 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Mave

posted on 25/1/08 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Maybe you could use the front screen of the midtec spyder? I believe it's the rear screen of a Saab.
Don't know about the laminated/hardened issues though.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Schrodinger

posted on 27/1/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I've just been on to the Car Builders Solutions website (who were the manufacturers of the Foreman P62)
Have you seen this
http://www.nfauto.co.uk/mk4.htm
As a possibility?

Keith
Aviemore

Schrodinger

posted on 27/1/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Have you also seen this?
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81866

not quite what you are after but it is a custom screen.

Keith
Aviemore

Dom9

posted on 28/1/08 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for all the replies and comments, it looks like we could sort something out for the windscreen if I go the scratch-build body way... I think it would still be nice to get the screens into CAD to see which ones 'fit' the best and look the most 'realistic' if I design my own.

I did receive a good email from autohausdolby, which leads me to believe that I may well be better off purchasing a complete body from here:

David Slack Porsche 962 replica

As they seem like excellent value and very 'complete' from the sounds of it. Certainly cheaper than other options I have considered so far. The benefit would also be that it may be possible to get chassis dimensions and so create a spaceframe in CAD before ordering the body, which may well be the way forward from a 'financial' risk perspective. i.e. if it takes me a year to design the chassis, I haven't spent £X000's on a body only to have it wasting in a lock up somewhere!

I may well just commit to this body so that I can crack on with the chassis design and get the project moving... Will do another couple of weeks of searching and call the end of February my deadline for starting to put pen to paper, or finger to mouse designing.

ceebmoj

posted on 29/1/08 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dom9ceebmoj - Do you mean chassis plans for the moncoque?

yes if you where going to order parts from that supplyer I would be intresting in geting hold of a set of the plans for the moncoque if you would add the to the order I could pay up frount.

blake

[Edited on 29/1/08 by ceebmoj]

Dom9

posted on 30/1/08 at 09:07 AM Reply With Quote
Blake - I don't think anyone is going to be willing to sell plans for a monocoque. There is money to be made in recreating the monocoque for the historic racers who keep crashing them and to sell the plans or let them get out into the public domain would mean that 'anyone' could build one and I don't think teh guys who have the plans will let that happen.

I am having enough trouble getting dimensions so that I can start sketching the tube frame... I don't think I have any hope of getting the full dimensions of the monocoque.

However, I was thinking about a folded, bonded and riveted aluminium honeycomb structure. I had a small involvement in a Formula Student car about 7 years ago and they bought this aluminium honeycomb, aluminium skin material and folded it into a monocoque.

I believe there is even a piece of software available that helps you design it and then 'unfolds' it so you can lay a template of your sheet. I seem to remember it being extremely light and very strong. I could then use a tube frame for the engine and rear suspension. Just another idea in my head.

Dave Slack has been very helpful providing me all sorts of information about the 962 parts and bodywork he sells. I am still of the opinion that sourcing something in the UK I can go and look at is a good idea, but since dave is a couple of months behind in building the bodywork, I guess this gives me a couple more months to keep my ear to the ground and have a good think.

Once he has started to produce the bodywork again, if I haven't found something over here then I am likely to just put in an order over that side of the pond.

Dom9

posted on 31/1/08 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Started to make some progress

Afternoon all,

It looks like we might be making some progress.

Dave Slack has been very helpful in providing information about his P962 bodywork. I posted a 'wanted' add on the race car parts site:

Group C body wanted ad

And as you can see, I have had a nice chap called Skip get in touch. We are currently discussing some Spice bodywork he has and I will keep you in the loop about that!

Still no further word from anyone in the UK although I am hoping that Don Miles will see that Ad and get in touch with regards his Jaguar XJR bodywork.

I also managed to have a look at that Nissan GTP CAD drawing that I found. It is a bit difficult to make out but I managed to get a single dimension and scale some others. Have a look at the picture below for what I spent a few minutes doing this morning:

Can everyone see that ok? I might spend some more time getting some other dimensions but as you can see, it would form a good base for building a Solid Works model, if I end up going the scratch built route!

Benonymous - Would you like a go and putting something into Solid Works for me?

I don't fancy getting Lou onto it yet - It's her birthday today! However, it's my birthday in a month, so I might ask her then! LOL!

Even if I don't go the scratch-built route, a Solid Works model of that Nissan may give me a starting point to get on with designing the chassis as I expect that most Group C cars where of 'similar' dimensions... I certainly need somewhere to start! My scaling may not be perfect as it's difficult to work off that drawing but I think everything will be within a couple of mm, so good enough to get the ball rolling!

[Edited on 1/2/08 by Dom9]

ettore bugatti

posted on 31/1/08 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote

ettore bugatti

posted on 31/1/08 at 02:55 PM Reply With Quote

http://www.swaqvalley.com/Blueprints/1990_Porsche_962C.jpg

I say: Subaru Legacy 6 cylinder boxer

[Edited on 31/1/08 by ettore bugatti]

ceebmoj

posted on 31/1/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dom9
Blake - I don't think anyone is going to be willing to sell plans for a monocoque.

I agree with and hence was suprides to find on the link you posted to

http://members.shaw.ca/p962/p2.html

if you go to there for sale page

http://members.shaw.ca/p962/fs.html

the 13th item down

Complete set of factory patterns for the 962 monocoque, aluminum, available only in conjuction with purchase of other parts.

hence if you are going to purchase other parts from them I would be very intrested in finding out the cost of a set of patterns for the monocoup.

blake

[Edited on 31/1/08 by ceebmoj]

Fred W B

posted on 31/1/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
not a porsch, but maybe of interest

pics here

Cheers

Fred W B

[Edited on 31/1/08 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

Dom9

posted on 1/2/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Can everyone see that picture of the Nissan, with dimensions on it that I posted in my previous ramblings? I can see it here but I couldn't see it when I logged in via my iPod Touch last night (Lou was in the shower )

Well, we met Gordon Ramsay and he kissed Lou 4 times last night, so I think that has bought me some more 'budget' for the car, LOL!

Ettore - Thanks for the piccys! I will have to look through that website! Sadly, the front views and the plan views are not to the same scale and without a dimension it's difficult to use them, but I may well be able to find something suitable!

Blake - Sorry, I misunderstood! Yes, they will sell plans, but only with a serious purchase, which yes, I might still make. If so, I would be more than happy to add that to the order. However, I think those guys probably check this thread, so if they don't like the thought of me passing them on, then I'm afraid I will have to abide by their rules. I will, however, make public my chassis design, when it gets drawn up!

Fred - I'm drooling! I love the Nissan P35 - A proper, serious piece of kit! That is such an awesome project and it's for students! Why did I leave university so long ago? The Mulsanne's Corner link I posted with all the Nissan dimensions on it was for the P35... I see our friend autohausdolby posting on there - Hi Matt, so I assume there is probably some good stuff to be read, so I have book-marked it for some weekend reading.

I have had a couple of guys contact me about some Spice bodywork they have for sale, so that means we have found 4 possible bodywork suppliers so far, but I am still not jumping for joy. I can't quite shake the feeling that I haven't found what I'm looking for, quite yet...

Still, I will give it the rest of the month and see where we are at! I may even start sketching a chassis this weekend. I had the pencil and ruler out on a print-off of that Nissan and I think I can knock something up fairly quick.

Kevan from Race Car Warehouse got in touch:

Race Car Warehouse

He has some SERIOUS spares, including wishbones, uprights etc etc, which may cut down the necessity to make my own parts - I think I will put in a visit at some point!

*edited* Correcting my dreadful spelling and grammar... Probably still not 100% perfect, but I am a bit hungover!

Delinquent

posted on 1/2/08 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I was wondering where the pic was...! Can't see it here.
Dom9

posted on 1/2/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers Del, I will see if I can change the permissions on that picture or find another way of posting it up!

What I would give for one of these...

It's a Lola 92/10 I believe... Only a few made I think, maybe not many at all actually, so it would be impossible to get the bodywork and it would all be carbon and mega money, but it does make me want to go the scratch-built route again!

Beautiful!

*edit* Can you see the dimensioned picture of the Nissan now? I have put it on another hosting website and I did it from another computer to make sure I wasn't logged in here. In other words, I can see it, so I hope you all can see it!

Delinquent

posted on 1/2/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Can see the picture now, but to be honest it's not great - I certainly wouldn't fancy trying to recreate the car from it!

That lola is stunning - though looking at it I don't think I'd bother going to the effort of designing my own chassis to build it, looks from that like you could practically drop the body over an Ultima chassis!

You'd want some form of adjustable suspension though for it to be road useable - not exactly road friendly ride height but you wouldn't want it permanently raised, a lot of its looks come from its stance IMO

[Edited on 1/2/08 by Delinquent]

Dom9

posted on 1/2/08 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
Del - I wouldn't try 'recreating' a car using those pictures, but it would give me a starting point to locate all the components and get a feel for where everything has to be, under the body of a Gr.C/ GTP car.

To be honest, I think an Ultima is probably a little too short and a little too narrow to find under a Gr.C car body. It would take a fair bit of work to stretch it in all directions, so I think i might as well start from scratch - Unless someone knows different?

For sheer simplicities sake, I would love it if I could just find a body and drop it on an Ultima chassis as it would save years of effort, work straight out of the box and be generally easier and I would still get the satisfaction of building it. Then, once that was is up and running I will have my toy to play with and I could take all the time in the world to play at designing my own chassis etc from scratch.

I haave all but given up on the car being road useable so I am not too bothered about the suspension being any more adjustable than it is on say a Radical. I will probably go and take a look at Kevan's parts once I have done a chassis design and see what wishbones, hubs, brakes etc he has that could be used. If there is something within a few mm then I could alter the chassis as appropriate.

Will the roll centre be exactly where I want it? Probably not and it may not work 'perfectly' but I am pretty sure that I will be able to find something suitable and I will check all the dimensions in my suspension simulator to ensure I won't get thrown off the track after I hit a bump!

Del - I am very interested in your build and the possible carbon monocoque etc. Have you done any more work recently? I would love to see more about the project!

Delinquent

posted on 1/2/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Fair point - it'll certainly give you that no problem.

Andy would be better versed on the Ultima chassis so I may be about to sprout dubious BS, but from memory I don't think it would be difficult to stretch about a bit if it came to that.

Haven't really achieved much recently on my project. Unfortunately I've managed to do a bit of serious mischief to myself so won't be doing any more on it for at least a few months till the physio starts to (hopefully!) show rewards.

Here is where it's currently at - there are a fair few bits missing from the pic that are fairly well sorted, I'd just finished redesigning them but not updated the files.

ceebmoj

posted on 1/2/08 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
thanks alot thats all I was hoping for.

Schrodinger

posted on 2/2/08 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Have you seen this on Pistonheads
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/359967.htm
Seems a bit pricey but it does depend on whats included.

Keith
Aviemore

Benonymous

posted on 3/2/08 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Nissan pics

I can see the Nissan pics but they're only suitable for making a basic look-alike model out of. Not enough detail. If you want to scratch build, you could basically start with a set of Group C dimensions, track wheelbase, wheel offsets and go from there. It's probably a good idea to abandon any road car aspirations because the passenger compartments on all the Grp C cars I have seen are only token two seaters.
Dom9

posted on 4/2/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Morning all - I hope everyone had a good weekend.

Yeah, the Nissan pics were only posted so I could get an idea of dimensions. It wouldn't be used for an 'exact' replica or anything, merely as a 'starting point' to begin sketching something out!

Andy - do you know how those dimensions compare with an Ultima? I assume that the Ultima has a much shorter wheelbase and is slightly more narrow.

I have also received some other good information, so I will try and make some progress on the chassis in next few weeks as I am desperate to start getting something down on paper. After an initial flurry of info about potential bodywork, that trail appears to have gone a bit quiet, but I will give it the rest of the month before committing to doing 'my own thing'.

Doug68

posted on 4/2/08 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Looking at the Nissan pic the real interesting dim is the 'Thickness' of the thing, 926mm is thin! I wonder how tall there driver was (a lot of pro drivers are midgets anyway) I've manged to get down to 972mm.

There's 2 or 3 things stopping going any thinner...

1. Getting a seat that works with the amount recline needed. I've given up on finding so I like & can afford so I'll be making my own.
2. Being comfortable sitting with a large recline (In Australia theres a 30 deg max layback reg for road cars).
3. Making the ROPS work i.e. not get your noggin crushed when its all upside down.

ACO rules state a minimum 920mm height for the rear roll over structure for closed cars which is probably with ~40mm (20mm plank & some clearance) ground clearance?
So an absolute practical minimum for a road car with 100mm clearance is going to be about 980mm, I've ended up at 1072mm coincidentally the Ultima GTR is quoted at 1070mm (This is bizarre as I'd aimed at 40" but it had to grow to make it work and I'd not looked at the Ultima dims closely before) and their Sports model was quoted at 1100mm.

Not sure what it all means, other than a true closed LMP car is a mighty cramped place to be.

Doug. 1TG
Sports Car Builders WA

Dom9

posted on 4/2/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
The more I talk to people, the more I think that it will be very tight squeeze, especially for a man of my stature... But there was never really the intention of carrying 2 people in comfort.

I guess you can have the roof as low as you like, depending on how reclined you mind sitting! It may not be comfortable but tipping yourslef back 30 degrees would lower the roofline substantially... I guess you don't need to owrry about submarining if you have a 6-point harness on?

I guess the GT40 was, give or take, 40" off the floor but I struggle with a helmet on in an Exige!

Before anything gets built, I will make a wooden mock up of the chassis to ensure that I fit! I can certainly see that a bespoke seat, or bag seat will be a necessity.

Del - Your car looks fantastic by the way. I think the 3-seater option is about to become very popular. I always wonder why no one ever took moulds off a McLaren F1 and installed a BMW V12... I'm sure it would be complicated and expensive, but surely someone could have doen a spaceframe chassis or Fran at RCR could do one of his ally chassis's.

Schrodinger - That car looks cool, but perhaps on the pricey side!

Dom9

posted on 4/2/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
Another useful link from the ever helpful Chris K:

Gunnar Racing Porsche 962 recreation spaceframe

It looks like there may be a few spaceframe 962's about... This one is good inspiration as it uses the original body and suspension etc but it's a fairly simple square tube spaceframe.

I have been sketching a chassis over that Nissan CAD picture and I already think I need to move to 3d CAD to get a better feel for it (was bored at work so got quite far).

ANYONE KNOW OF ANY FREE 3d CAD-type software I can download? It doesn't need to be particularly 'good' just something I don't need a license for (I don't want to get Lou doing anything on AutoCAD at work until I have finalised my design) and will allow me to design a spaceframe and could be exported into something better at a later date.

Sorry for so many replies, links and pictures. I am semi-using this thread as my official resource so I can store my thinking and much of my research in one place - I hope it is keeping some of you amused!

<<  1    2    3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.