Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Group C/ IMSA GTP/ Prototype style car
dtmpower

posted on 19/11/08 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Did anyone make any progress on the Group C style car ?
Dom9

posted on 24/11/08 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
Put simply John... Not me!

My 911 takes up a fair bit of my income and we have now sold the flat in Putney and have had an offer accepted on a new build in Wandsworth... But we can't get in there until mid-January at best.

I think this project is going to be on hold for quite some time, especially since Don had sold most of the parts i wanted.

To be honest, I have spent a lot of time daydreaming about one of Fran's RCR SLC's... With an Audi V10... Or even a Porsche 911 GT1 replica, built using my 996 as its base, but with an Audi V10!

I have an Audi V10 fetish after seeing some guy build one for an Ultima that was putting out 600bhp and was fairly standard!

It will still happen, one day! At least we now have AutoCAD and my missus has even better CAD skills - Should be laughing in another year or so!

Amsoil

posted on 14/1/09 at 01:15 AM Reply With Quote
So did you ever get a project to start ?

Regards Don Miles

Dom9

posted on 14/1/09 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
Don, great to see you on here! I hope you don't mind me name checking you on here, I expect everyone else will bombard you with questions now, looking at your 'garage'...

I didn't know you had an R390... Drool!

Have a I got anywhere, put simply... No!

I am completing on my house sale on Friday (thank goodness) and will complete on my new house purchse on the 23rd (apparently, will believe it when I see it).

I am currently getting quotes in for work to my 911, including rebuilding the brakes, fitting adjustable suspension etc etc so, you can imagine, that is taking a fair bit of the 'budget' I could allocate to this project. Of course, if the right thing was to come along, I would probably shelve that for now... The Autofarm 3.7 engine conversion is calling me though!

Fran keeps threatening to make a 962 if I show him the money, but I am not sure I could stump up half the cost up front, having just moved. I think I would be more interested in spreading the cost over a longer duration...

I know there are a few people who read this thread but don't necessarily post and I had an email today from a chap who may have the bodywork I want

However, general concensus seems to be that I would not fit in that car with the chassis that was designed to go underneath it, so it may be a showstopper... As you know, I am not the smallest man. If that does work out though (and we ar enot even 1% down the line of even talking about it) I think I would want to go bespoke on the chassis etc to spread the cost... And i would need to find storage!

The Group C idea is still very much on, but I am definitely erring more to GT1-style cars now such as the 911 GT1 (I believe Nick Dames could build one from my 996 as a base, although that is not confirmed) or even... An R390, if you have moulds

How is your 'thinking' coming along with regards Group C cars? you are clearly a lot further down the line than me and have access to most of the parts I guess!? i was actually wondering how you were getting on the other day...

Kind regards, Dom

Dom9

posted on 21/1/09 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
Porsche GT1 (Farboud) Bodywork

I have been sent these pictures by Tim, who is looking at selling his project. I hope he doesn't mind me posting them up here, but it might be a good way of advertising to a wider audience. Tim, I have tried to email you back but I am getting 'delivery failure notifications'.

I would absolutely LOVE this bodywork, it is quite possibly one of the coolest/ best looking modern racers! However, with the house move etc, I am not sure I will be able to afford it as Tim actually has a lot of parts such as an Ultima chassis with some modifications to lower the floor, move the firewall back and lift the body 20mm offf the chassis... And I think he has some brakes, wheels etc.

So, as a package, he has probably 75% of the car - It would just need finishing.

Here are some pictures:

This is what the car Porsche raced looked like

This is the car that Tim has

Actually, I just found the list of parts that Tim has:

Nose section in KevlarCenter section in GRPRear section in GRP / Carbon fibreFront splitter in carbon fibreDoors (two sets) and outer skinsRear wing (but with no uprights or end caps)Front and rear lightsGlass front windscreenSmoked side windows (profiled but need cutting out) Ultima GTR chassis, roll cage removed and awaiting new cage when body isin final position. To get over the limited amount of space inside, I decided to space thebody 20mm off of the chassis, drop the seat floors by 40mm and I've hadthe rear bulkhead of the center section dropped back by about 100mm+ toallow seats to recline more. For the chassis, I have wishbones, uprights, hubs (will needre-manufacturing for the brake / wheel combo I was going to run), Brakes(Aston Martin Vanquish setup, 380mm front, 355mm rear inc brembo handbrakecalipers), Wheels and tyres, steering rack, steering column, steeringwheel, seats, fuel tanks x2, radiator, wiring loom, gear linkage,coilovers, fuel senders, fuel pumps, Chevrolet 5.7 litre V8, adaptorplate, Porsche G50 5 speed gearbox, driveshafts.

This would make such a good base for me, but I think I would want the bespoke chassis and i am sure that Tim will want to sell the body and chassis as one package, but when his email is working again, hopefully he will let me know more.

Gakes

posted on 21/1/09 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Look flippin awesome!

Description
Description

Pointblank

posted on 23/1/09 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Dom, thanks again for your help; finally got an account on here!

Cheers,
Tim.

Dom9

posted on 25/1/09 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pointblank
Hi Dom, thanks again for your help; finally got an account on here!

Cheers,
Tim.

Hi Tim,

Great to see you on here, finally!

Hopefully 'we' can get this poject progressed, one way or another! LOL!

Dom9

posted on 25/2/09 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Still hoping that Tim will reply about his car, posted above, soon!

This looks interesting:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/default.asp?storyId=19416

South African 962 replica for £75k.

Have started a new consulting company here, on the back of winning a big job, so I ought to have some spare cash in the next year! This needs to happen soon!

Garbrand

posted on 25/2/09 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
What I find particularly interesting is they have the windscreen and side glass made locally. I'd love to make a Group-C style car, but I keep running into the windscreen problem... Hope they go online soon so I can get some more info from these guys!

Garagistes!

:{THC}:YosamiteSam

posted on 10/4/09 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dom9
Don, great to see you on here! I hope you don't mind me name checking you on here, I expect everyone else will bombard you with questions now, looking at your 'garage'...

I didn't know you had an R390... Drool!

Have a I got anywhere, put simply... No!

I am completing on my house sale on Friday (thank goodness) and will complete on my new house purchse on the 23rd (apparently, will believe it when I see it).

I am currently getting quotes in for work to my 911, including rebuilding the brakes, fitting adjustable suspension etc etc so, you can imagine, that is taking a fair bit of the 'budget' I could allocate to this project. Of course, if the right thing was to come along, I would probably shelve that for now... The Autofarm 3.7 engine conversion is calling me though!

Fran keeps threatening to make a 962 if I show him the money, but I am not sure I could stump up half the cost up front, having just moved. I think I would be more interested in spreading the cost over a longer duration...

I know there are a few people who read this thread but don't necessarily post and I had an email today from a chap who may have the bodywork I want

However, general concensus seems to be that I would not fit in that car with the chassis that was designed to go underneath it, so it may be a showstopper... As you know, I am not the smallest man. If that does work out though (and we ar enot even 1% down the line of even talking about it) I think I would want to go bespoke on the chassis etc to spread the cost... And i would need to find storage!

The Group C idea is still very much on, but I am definitely erring more to GT1-style cars now such as the 911 GT1 (I believe Nick Dames could build one from my 996 as a base, although that is not confirmed) or even... An R390, if you have moulds

How is your 'thinking' coming along with regards Group C cars? you are clearly a lot further down the line than me and have access to most of the parts I guess!? i was actually wondering how you were getting on the other day...

Kind regards, Dom

that porsche gt1 was in a car museum in germany i went to in a small town called Amerang near munich

brilliant museum - full of old porsches - from leman monsters to 959's..

got a few pics

ps sorry bout the image size

Dom9

posted on 17/4/09 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I would love a modern version of Moby Dick... Use a 996 (now quite cheap) as a base, with a crazy wide front/ rear and a low nose etc!

I may well have to take myself off to that museum, I can see it being my missus worst nightmare!

cheapracer
Builder

Posts 156
Registered 29/11/08

Photo Archive Go!
Building: The Worlds next big thing of course!

posted on 17/4/09 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
Those Mobil GT1's were just the ants pants for looks weren't they!

It's coming....

rpmagazine

posted on 19/4/09 at 12:48 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.race-car-replicas.com.au/rcr917.html

www.racemagazine.com.au

Dom9

posted on 21/4/09 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rpmagazine
http://www.race-car-replicas.com.au/rcr917.html

Fran would build you a 962 as well, if you had enough money...

autohausdolby

posted on 5/2/10 at 11:59 AM Reply With Quote
Cool pictures

[Edited on 5/2/10 by autohausdolby]

Pointblank

posted on 26/10/10 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
The time has come to sell up, wonder if this is of any interest to anyone on here?

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2203061.htm

Cheers,
Tim.

Pointblank

posted on 2/12/10 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
Oops, change of link:

http://pistonheads.com/sales/2203061.htm

Cheers,
Tim.

andygtt

posted on 6/12/10 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Dom, not touched base for ages, have you decided on the shape or chassis etc yet?

Andy

please redefine your limits.

Dom9

posted on 10/1/11 at 03:57 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Andy et al...

Sorry I havent been on here for ages!

I now live in Singapore, so that has kind of put a stop to any car building activities!

I have been out here for about 8 months, so the whole of last year was pretty much wiped out.

Will no doubt stay here for a few years now (quality of life is fantastic and <10% tax is better than >40%) despite Lou having moved out with me and then moved home i.e. no more missus Dom9.

We shall see what the future holds though as we still talk (probably far too often).

I still have my 911, but that is in storage at Autofarm and will I certainly do something when I come home as I have a savings plan in place to allow me to do so, quite deliberately!

Hope the GTT is coming together, Andy, and update some of your threads on PH (which is the only car forum I tend to be on, these days).

<<  3    4    5    6  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.