Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: How can I prime the oil pump on an XE
Steve Lovelock

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:14 PM Reply With Quote
How can I prime the oil pump on an XE

I have spent a few years building my XE based Luego and now am trying to get it started but I have no oil pressure on turn over. I have changed the sump and oil pick up for a modified version but have not had the oil pump off the engine. I am reluctant to do this as it will be quiet a lot of work now that the engine is installed. I have put a gallon of oil in the engine.

So, any suggestions on how I can prime the pump to get the oil flowing?

Macbeast

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering this about my Pinto. I thought it might be possible to take the oil filter off and introduce from there so it runs back down into the oil pump.
cidersurfer

posted on 17/1/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
A few options;
By cranking with the plugs out.
Or by back filling the engine with oil through the plug above the oil filter then cranking.

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

snapper

posted on 17/1/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
with the pinto i took off the distributor and spun up the oil pump drive with an electric drill.
With the XE can you take off the cam belt and just spin up the oil pump drive pulley, that way you do not turn over the engine and risk bearings.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

r1_pete

posted on 17/1/08 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Take the oil pressure sensor out, use a pump oil can to back fill the oilways and the pump will prime, use whatever is needed to seal between the block and oil can. When the resistance on the trigger increases you know the pump and ways are full of oil.
Good practice after any engine rebuild or lay up.
Rgds.
Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevebubs

posted on 17/1/08 at 11:57 PM Reply With Quote
I always filled the pump with vaseline when working on my crossflow...
r1_pete

posted on 18/1/08 at 09:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stevebubs
I always filled the pump with vaseline when working on my crossflow...

Yep many manufacturers specify this, criucial on the rover V8. But I forgot so many times.......

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 18/1/08 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
vaesline or petroleum jelly - same stuff but cheaper. and it has to be that as it disolves in the oil.
chrsgrain

posted on 18/1/08 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Hi - after my XE had been rebuilt I filled the oil filter with oil, filled with oil via the oil filler cap, then turned over without plugs in - got a flicker of pressure there, then started up, and got pressure immediately.

Allegedly the XE oil pumps don't need priming... mine didn't

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

owelly

posted on 18/1/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
With my Alfa engine, I also removed the oil pressure switch and squirted oil in with a oil can. I also attached a 3' length of small bore clear tubing to the hole, filled it with oil and held the open end up in the air. I didn't stand there all night holding it. I attached it to a broom handle and left it overnight. The oil hand moved down the pipe by about 8" so I was happy in my fuzzy little head that the oilways and pump were full of oil.
I also cranked the engine (after removing my piece of tube and refitting the sender!) without plugs in and the pressure rose immediately.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

rusty nuts

posted on 18/1/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
From memory your pump is driven by the crank? If so turning the pump without turning the crank is out . As already suggested prime via the oil pressure switch . Once had problems priming a customer supplied VW engine , in the end after trying everything else I removed the oil filter and cranked the engine over until oil came out of the filter head , put filter back on and had instant pressure. A bit extreme and not good practice but it worked.
Steve Lovelock

posted on 29/1/08 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Well I have been trying, and trying, and trying to get the oil pump working without luck. So I took the sump off and checked the pick-up pipe for potential problems. I have noticed that I fitted the pick-up pipe to the block/oil pump without a gasket of any description. Could this be my problem? ie should there be a gasket at this point?

I have cranked the thing so much that the starter motor is burning hot having filled the oil pressure switch opening with oil. All without luck.

Any ideas?

Cheers

rusty nuts

posted on 29/1/08 at 08:50 PM Reply With Quote
Would have thought that the pick up would have an "o" ring or a gasket so that may be your problem. With the sump still off it may be worth taking the oil pump off and packing it with petroleum jelly or at the very least attempting to prime the pump from the pick up connection?
Steve Lovelock

posted on 29/1/08 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
The sump is still off but I really don't fancy stripping the stuff away that I will have to to remove the pump. Then it is new gaskets etc. That would be a last resort job.

Any idea if any old O ring will do or should I pay the Vauxhall dealer a visit?

rusty nuts

posted on 29/1/08 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
Not having a pattern it would be better to get the correct part from Vauxhall , pennies I would have thought. Try pumping oil into the oil pressure switch hole with the sump and pickup off and perhaps turn the crank with a spanner in the reverse direction to draw the oil into the pump thus priming it?You should see the oil dribble from the pick up drilling.
bill132hotrod

posted on 29/1/08 at 11:04 PM Reply With Quote
Lack of oil pressure

Hi there , iv'e been racing an C20XE, for about 5 years and now the engine is going in a luego velocity, yes you need a small 'o' ring in the oil pipe pick up where it fits to the block,(this could well be the problem as it will suck in air) also on 1 sie of your oil pump you will have a bolt head size about 22mm under this bolt is a spring & plunger if you remove this carefully you can then with an oilcan pump some oil directly into the pump , refit the plunger and spring then tighten up crank it over and you should get oil pressure, good luck BILL
bill132hotrod

posted on 29/1/08 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
P.S the O ring is only a little one about the size of a 5 pence piece, and not very thick anything about that size should get you out of trouble.
Steve Lovelock

posted on 28/2/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Still trying to get the oil pump working. Noting the last comments about a 22 bolt with a spring and plunger I wanted to check that this was on the other side of the pump to all the oil cooler / pressure switch outlets? If so when I undo this I get a spring but no plunger out, does this mean that the plunger is stuck in? If so how can I get it out?

Also, the oil filter is full of oil which makes me wonder if I could have a blockage somewhere stopping the oil flow to the switch?

Finally, what is involved in taking the pump off? Not that I want to do it.

Desperatly seeking oil pressure!

stevepj

posted on 29/2/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Taking the pump off involves removing the crank pulley, then cambelt off, undoing the large torx bolt in the crank - got to be renewed - cambelt drive sprocket has to come off, then when you've taken the sump and oil pick up pipe off you can unbolt the oil pump and take it off

Steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.