Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: warning about lifting
eccsmk

posted on 21/1/08 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
warning about lifting

over the 6 months of my build i've been struggling with lifting the chassis and engine etc,
couldn't be bothered to use the engine crane or the jacks just thought it would be quicker to struggle by hand
im not sure if it is a direct result of doing this but im now off work and going in to hospital tomorrow for a hernia op.
now my old man says told you so
thank you for reading

SeaBass

posted on 21/1/08 at 05:53 PM Reply With Quote
Ouch. What were the symptoms?

eccsmk

posted on 21/1/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
well i noticed a stinging pain in my groin whilst lifting a few times but over the last few days i was unable to move all i can say is agony
so please be careful people

Macbeast

posted on 21/1/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Been there, done that, except it was a porcelain sink and a worktop in my kitchen refurb. I could have waited for my son to get back from work but- "no it'll be ok, I'll manage"

At least it gives me something to cast up to the wife when needed.

Best of luck and take it easy afterwards for a while.

BenB

posted on 21/1/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
Get well soon!!! Painful

I read an article in Practical Classics about someone who kept on lugging bits of a two seater sports car about.
One paragraph casually began "After leaving hospital for my third hernia repair operation"....

Sadly he wasn't joking....

eccsmk

posted on 21/1/08 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
i think this will make me take a little more care.
i think the worst bit was when the doctor said ill have a go at putting it back
that did bring tears to my eyes

graememk

posted on 21/1/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
i thought i had one the other week but the doctor told me to stop drinking and i've been fine since.

jacko

posted on 21/1/08 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Same thing i am going for a scan next month
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Howlor

posted on 21/1/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Yet another reason to go BEC!

Although I am joking, seriously I am sure it is very painful. Take it easy pal.

jos

posted on 21/1/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
what engine was it??

.: Motorsport / motor racing circuit / track wall art Apex Traxs :.

joolsmi16

posted on 21/1/08 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
lifting

Did myself in lifting a rover t16 engine off from a couriers lorry as the tail lift was faulty!! 200kg easier down than up though!
Mark Allanson

posted on 21/1/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
Its a choice between hydraulics or sorebollocks

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

pewe

posted on 21/1/08 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
When the consultant says "No lifting for three months and take it easy for 6" he means it! Majority of second visits are to re-do thems who haven't taken the advice first time.
You have been warned!
ATB, Pewe

Delinquent

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
If it's any conciliation, be thankful it was just a hernia - I've been off work for around 10 weeks now after a disc prolapsed in my neck, which is thought likely to have been down to some lifting - Looks like I've permanently lost all feeling and most use in my thumb (better than a few weeks back when it was looking like the whole arm!)

Got another week or so of total rest before more tests to decide if they are going to replace a bit of my neck with some metalwork. If I've dodged that then just a few months physio instead...

viatron

posted on 22/1/08 at 09:56 AM Reply With Quote
had nearly six months of pain last year when i ripped a muscle in my back, ended up having to hav injections into my back. Was helping lift a zetec lump into the back of my van....beeee careful!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
turbodisplay

posted on 22/1/08 at 10:35 AM Reply With Quote
I always make sure I use a weight lifting belt when lifting. It keeps your insides in the stomache, and your back supported.
For a £10 its worth having one.

Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Juicie

posted on 23/1/08 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delinquent
If it's any conciliation, be thankful it was just a hernia - I've been off work for around 10 weeks now after a disc prolapsed in my neck, which is thought likely to have been down to some lifting - Looks like I've permanently lost all feeling and most use in my thumb (better than a few weeks back when it was looking like the whole arm!)

Got another week or so of total rest before more tests to decide if they are going to replace a bit of my neck with some metalwork. If I've dodged that then just a few months physio instead...

Delinquent, I like the design of the car in your avatar! Do you hove some pics or information about it?

Delinquent

posted on 23/1/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Juicie
quote:
Originally posted by Delinquent

Delinquent, I like the design of the car in your avatar! Do you hove some pics or information about it?

Cheers

It's my own design, which I'll be starting building work on soon. It's a 3 seater (driver mid) mid engined, which is supposed to be in a carbon monocoque - though that's proving to be a bit problematic at the moment!

eccsmk

posted on 24/1/08 at 11:45 PM Reply With Quote
i am in agony!!!!!!
got to go back soon as they have found another previously missed
can anyone recomment any pain killers?

Macbeast

posted on 25/1/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
When I had mine done hospital gave me 600 mg Neurophen. But I suppose 3 x 200 mg would be the same. Don't take neurophen if you're asthmatic - some danger of reaction.

I had pain for about 3 days, thereafter just when using stomach muscles - eg getting out of bed. You soon develop techniques for avoiding use of them.

Bugger about having to go back tho.

I also found I didn't crap for about a week and when I did I pressed a folded towel to the stomach to avoid pain. Chemist will give you something to "ease the digestive transit" as they so delicately say on TV - Lacteol I think.

eccsmk

posted on 25/1/08 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
aah pain relief heaven

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.