Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Engine Weights????
I love speed :-P

posted on 21/10/03 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Engine Weights????

I don’t suppose that anyone out there has a list of engine weights and bhp???? Or what do you think is the best engine for power/weight. The max engine size has to be 2 litters for insurance propose.

Thanks 4 ur time

Philip Moreton

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Stu16v

posted on 21/10/03 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
What kind of budget?
For the maximum power to weight for an engine it has to be a Holeshot Hyabusa....

Dont just build it.....make it!

I love speed :-P

posted on 21/10/03 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
i have already thought about bike engines but insureance is far to high

Don't Steal
The Government doesn’t like the competition

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
zetec

posted on 21/10/03 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Most modern Ford/Vx/Rover engines will easily put out 160-200bhp without too much work. The Rover K series is probably the lightest along with the almost new Ford Duratec. There is always the question of reliability with the Rover unit. I would say fit a good standard engine and upgrade with cam/head mods once you have an idea of what you want from the car. I would much prefer a car which handled well and meant you can use all the power it had to one which was unusable because it was too powerful for the chassis. There is a lot to be said foor zetec/ecotec/XE 16v engines, cheap and plentiful and loads of bolt on goodies.
craig1410

posted on 21/10/03 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'd second the K-series although it does have a habit of blowing its head gasket from time to time. This is more of a nuisance than a big problem to be honest and can be easily fixed. It is a very light engine and produces good top end power. I did see a report which put it at the top of the potential power to weight ratio when compared with other similar modern multivalve engines (Vauxhall, Zetec etc). I'll try to dig the report out again.

I also recall that the 1.8 VVC engine should be avoided as it is less tunable than the standard 1.8 or 1.6 and is much more complex to fit. I'd say go with a 1.6 litre K-series from a rover 216 as these should be plentiful and are an excellent engine.

HTH,
Craig.

ned

posted on 22/10/03 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
don't bother with the ecotec. if vauxhall, use the Xe. the ecotecs are cheap, but less tunable and not as much fiddling has been done with them as far as i know. ignition/injection could be a problem with ecotec, whereas there is a cheap solution to this for an xe.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

kestrel1596

posted on 23/10/03 at 01:02 AM Reply With Quote
Here's a link to what I think is the latest version of Dave Williams' list. Seems to be missing the K-series, but you might find some of the entries useful:

http://www.angelfire.com/ar/dw42/engfyi.htm

hth
Kevin B.

Noodle

posted on 23/10/03 at 06:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ned
don't bother with the ecotec. if vauxhall, use the Xe. the ecotecs are cheap, but less tunable and not as much fiddling has been done with them as far as i know.

Try SBD: http://www.sbdev.co.uk/

Cheers,

Neil.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.