Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mobile phone irritating the h*ll outta me!
james h

posted on 29/1/08 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
Mobile phone irritating the h*ll outta me!

Just thought as you all seem to be knowledgable chaps on here, you might be able to help me.

In mid-late October last year, I bought my Sony-Ericsson K850i on a Vodafone contract at a Phones4U store. I had to replace it within 2 weeks as it kept turning itself off and going crazy with the menus.

I got an identical replacement (after having to traipse across London on the tube spending my own money) from another Phones4U store.

But now that replacement has gone wrong too! I haven't been able to access applications or games for a month or so - that I could just about live with, but now it won't let me see my inbox (which i need to do urgently for some important info), or sent messages, drafts etc.!!!

So, I basically want to change my phone for a different model (and I am NOT willing to downgrade). If they don't let me, then where do I stand?

Can I threaten to pull out of my contract under the Sales Act 1979?

Also which phones do you recommend?

Many thanks

James

blakep82

posted on 29/1/08 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
ask for a replacement under the sales of good act.

silly question, but have you switched it off and on again
had silly trouble with my new W910i, volume buttons stopped working for volume but worked for other things. got pissed off, took the battery out, switched it all back on again, and its sorted now, and been fine since

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

james h

posted on 29/1/08 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah, i have taken out the battery and put it in again, still no joy
eznfrank

posted on 29/1/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'd need to know more about the contract terms etc and warranty to give you my opinion but you can find the full Sales of Goods Act 1979 here....

http://www.statutelaw.gov.uk/content.aspx?LegType=All+Legislation&title=sale+of+goods&searchEnacted=0&extentMatchOnly=0&confersPower=0 &blanketAmendment=0&sortAlpha=0&TYPE=QS&PageNumber=1&NavFrom=0&parentActiveTextDocId=1837068&ActiveTextDocId=1837068&f ilesize=227659

I use this website quite a lot at work. Mobiles are a bit tricky as you usually aren't actually buying the phone it's more of a perk of the contract? If they do mess you around, citizens advice will help you out foc (probably)

If you do manage to get out of the contract I'd recommend the N95 which is free with 3 mobile, I have one and it's great!

MkIndy7

posted on 29/1/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Have you looked into any Firmware upgrades.. or tried the update feature on the phone itself.

My Month old K850i (on 3) keeps vibrating im my pocket and when you pull it out its switched off and re-starting so its obviously a common fault.

Looking on the internet there has been quite a few Firmware upgrades, not sure how it works with SonyEricson fones but with my old Nokia you could take it to one of their service centers and they'd update them for free.

Confused but excited.

posted on 29/1/08 at 08:04 PM Reply With Quote
Having been caught along similar lines.
When you took out the contract, you actually signed for the air time NOT the phone.
The phone was free, unless you bought it. If the phone packs up and is off air for say a month, you still have to pay for the air time, while the phone is repaired/replaced under warranty
Of course they don't tell you this when you sign up.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Miks15

posted on 29/1/08 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
what about a K800i? its basically the same as the K850i but without the silly little buttons. Plus ive had mine a year and 3 months and never once gone wrong!
and im not just lucky everyone else i know with it agree with me
hope that helps

owelly

posted on 29/1/08 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
I also have a K800i and apart from being battered to bu99ery, it still works fine.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyharding

posted on 29/1/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
Of course they don't tell you this when you sign up.

Yes they do, it's in the contract that you read before you signed it.

Are you a Mac user or a retard?

joneh

posted on 29/1/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
A retailer is entitled to repair the product - you could ask for a replacement but they can insist on repairing it within "a reasonable time".

LoMoss

posted on 29/1/08 at 10:39 PM Reply With Quote
I have a K800i. I am on my third now. Vodafone replace it through warranty, exchanged via a courier. Its the same problem with them all, the navigation button slowly fails, makes the klicks but doent work, then the screen wont stay still. Can only get like for like under the warranty.
twybrow

posted on 30/1/08 at 12:09 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure where you stand on your contract, but I would reccomend anything Nokia. I have had them for years now, and they have always been relaible. Admittedly, the more gadgets/cameras/internet they pack in, the more unreliable phones are likely to become - so go for a classic brick styled phone!

Rob Palin

posted on 30/1/08 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
I had lots of troubles with a K750i. It packed up after a month, took 3 months to get fixed (never, ever get anything through Dialaphone.co.uk!) and then repeatedly turned itself off for no reason thereafter.

Just one week over the warranty i got the dreaded White Screen of Death. Googling that showed it has happened to loads of people.

On the very strong recommendation of a friend (who really should work for Sony's PR department) i've gone for another Sony, a W850i, but so far it's been ok. Any problems with this at all and i'll never go back!

james h

posted on 30/1/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone, I will take it back to the shop and see what they say- but if it happens again I would seriously go mad!
MkIndy7

posted on 30/1/08 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
I went in the 3 shop today where I got mine from and asked if it was a known common fault with them.. and they said not that they know of, but to have a look on Sonys website.

Its unlikely but they suggest this...
Keylock bypass to turn off

I know that shouldn't be my problem as its kept in a seperate pocket and in a hard plastic case where the button is recessed.

OR the's an online updating feature:
Linky:

Might be worth a try.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.