Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help Please, ZX9 Clutch Siezed?
Colnago_Man

posted on 8/2/08 at 02:40 PM Reply With Quote
Help Please, ZX9 Clutch Siezed?

Hello, its not been a good week in the garage....

Before refitting my ZX9R Model B engine I thought I would check the clutch operation. When I depress the master cylinder (did I mention it was a hydraulic clutch?) nothing happend its solid. So removed the slave cylinder from the engine, this seems fine as it moved freely.
What it worrying is that fact the clutch pushrod does want to move at all.

Should the pushrod be able to move in to the clutch to disengage it quite easily or would it take a lot of force to move it?

The engine hasnt been run for 12 months and I'am worried some the clutch may be seize on.

Would some 'gently' force with a mallet help to free and sticky clutch plates?

Mr Whippy

posted on 8/2/08 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
I can't even move the pushrod in on my 125 far less on a big bike engine.

Are you sure the system was free of air? Can bike clutches seize? mines covered in oil.

had to check there that a ZX9R is infact a bike!

[Edited on 8/2/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mackei23b

posted on 8/2/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with Mr Whippy, the pushrod will appear solid, it did on my ZX9R B type.

Cheers

Ian

02GF74

posted on 8/2/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
i though bike clutches ran in oil - wet cltuch - and are multiple plate so I can all plates glue themselves together?

should have stuck with a car engine.

itiejim

posted on 8/2/08 at 03:19 PM Reply With Quote
If the clutch pedal moves then either it or the slave are not working. If the pedal is solid then it's something mechanical in the clutch - unlikely I think.
MikeCapon

posted on 8/2/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
Bike (wet) clutches can get their plates stuck together. It's either a strip down or wait until its running and "kangaroo hop" with the clutch depressed until it (hopefully) breaks free. When you operate the clutch you should see a small (around 5mm) movement of the pushrod.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
coozer

posted on 8/2/08 at 03:52 PM Reply With Quote
The fibre plates stick to the metal ones if left for a long time. The oil only splashes up when the engine is running so the top half of the clutch drains down and dries out then stick together sometimes.

Nice excuse for a set of heavy springs and new plates I would think...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

Dangle_kt

posted on 8/2/08 at 03:53 PM Reply With Quote
They can glue up, but I have heard that zip tieing the master cylinder to the bars over night can help.

First check for air in the system, as that could be the case. Stripping the clutch down is not a very big job, just make sure you take some digital photos as putting it all back together can be a fiddle, espedcially if you put the plates back in the wrong order and have to do it all again!!!

quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Bike (wet) clutches can get their plates stuck together. It's either a strip down or wait until its running and "kangaroo hop" with the clutch depressed until it (hopefully) breaks free. When you operate the clutch you should see a small (around 5mm) movement of the pushrod.

BenB

posted on 8/2/08 at 05:27 PM Reply With Quote
The pushrod movement is minimal....
I'd get the engine into neutral, start it up and leave it running for 5-10 minutes to make sure the clutch plates are liberally splashed with oil. Then I'd try again.... I'd also try re-bleeding the clutch. I though I'd done this properly when I first built my car (but I hadn't!!!)....

If all else fails it's back to the old jack the back of the car up, engine running in 5th, press down the clutch and repeatidly stomp on the brake to try and free up the plates.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to open up the clutch housing and then you may as well fit new plates and springs....

Shogun969

posted on 8/2/08 at 07:10 PM Reply With Quote
ZX9 Clutch

Hi,
I have first hand experience of the B engine.
When you have removed the slave cylinder the push rod can be pulled out.
I would think as what was wrong with mine ( after standing ) is the plates have stuck together.
I removed the cover and stripped the clutch down and replaced the springs with Barnett then rebuilt it no probs now.
The other thing that can happen ( and did to me ) is over operation of the slave cylinder which pushes the plates out too far and then they jam on the spline and will not let you have any drive. Strip it down and start again with a stop or something to prevent over pushing the push rod.
Cheers

timcrasher

posted on 8/2/08 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
As others have said, it sounds like the clutch plates are stuck together.
What ever you do, do not gently tap the end of the push rod with a mallet. You will either bend the rod, or if you are really unlucky, damage the clutch centre plate.
You have two options really, you can either ( as you already have the engine out, this is your best option), remove the clutch cover, clutch springs, and centre plate and remove and separate the plates.
I would then soak the plates in engine oil and reasemble.
If the engine was in the car, all you need to do is put the car in gear, depress the clutch and gently rock the car backwards and forwards to release the clutch.
I had to free off a couple of clutches on bikes that had been in storage, today at work. A couple of gentle rocks and they free off a treat.
But, if the engine has been stood for a while it is also a good idea to bleed the clutch fluid, as it absorbs moisture over time

Colnago_Man

posted on 11/2/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone, lots of good advice there.
I think I will try get the engine warmed up and try to release the clutch plates by rocking the car. Although the engine is out of the car so it may seem like a good time to remove the clutch, its going to be a pain to drain the oil out of the engine whiles its lying on the floor....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.