Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: delighted with sva fail
tim windmill

posted on 20/2/08 at 01:38 PM Reply With Quote
delighted with sva fail

sva today and guess what it failed but i am over the moon. I PASSED THE EMISSIONS. just a few minor things to put right before retest. rear number plate light not working,(new bulb) leaking brake fluid from brake light switch(just needs nipping up) headlight faulty and so failed alignement (bad earth) and the last one locating pin required to secure the top ball joint mushroom (drill and put bolt through.) other than that everying went really well so light at the end of the tunnel.
no issues with self centering and big plus did i mention it passed the emissions.
big thanks to Bobs Bangers for the loan of the trailer and pulling in some favours to help try and sort out any pre sva problems and of course cant forget jacko and Andy W. hopefully get retest done next week

rayward

posted on 20/2/08 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
nice one!!!

not too bad at all

mind you you've done so many now you should be an expert

Ray

tegwin

posted on 20/2/08 at 01:46 PM Reply With Quote
Fair play to you...

Which SVA centre did you go to?

Do they all pick up on the top ball joint adapter not fitted with a locating pin, or was it just you?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

tim windmill

posted on 20/2/08 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
it was beverley test centre and have previously svad 2 cars there before and nothing was said but this time he highlighted the point and said that it is a must now
tegwin

posted on 20/2/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thats rather retarded...

I cant get my mushroom adapters out of the uprights even with the pinch bolt un-done...I really have to go at it with the gentle persuader...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

bobs bangers

posted on 20/2/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Tim

Failing never felt so GOOD !!

I thought I was going to have to lend you a ford mondeo for the emissions test !

Delighted you have got the hard bit over with. Now quickly get it retested so you can supervise the mnr project.

Regards

Bob

coozer

posted on 20/2/08 at 02:26 PM Reply With Quote
The mushroom locator fail point is a bit odd... OEM cars don't have them as all the weight transfer is UP against the mushroom. Its never going to come out...

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

wilkingj

posted on 20/2/08 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer
The mushroom locator fail point is a bit odd... OEM cars don't have them as all the weight transfer is UP against the mushroom. Its never going to come out...

I agree they dont come out. However the Donor cars Suspension leg / shock has a strip of metal with a hole in it welded to the side of the shock that aligns with the bolt hole in the casting, and its secured by the pinch bolt.
The Lower leg in the picture is just showing the bit I am talking about.
Not the best pictutre, but it is there.

[img][/img]

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
02GF74

posted on 20/2/08 at 03:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tim windmill
locating pin required to secure the top ball joint mushroom (drill and put bolt through.)

nyloc?

Paul (Notts)

posted on 20/2/08 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
Passed my sva last week and the inspector said he was glad to see I had drilled throught upright and bolted the inserts in with an m6 bolt and nylock nut. They are now looking out for this as a fail if its not done!

I only did this because someone on this sight said they now required this to be done.

Paul

edit

You have to plan where you drill to avoid the nut already inside the mushroom -

[Edited on 20/2/08 by Paul (Notts)]

Andy W

posted on 20/2/08 at 04:55 PM Reply With Quote
Great news Tim, bet you are well chuffed with the emmisions.

Andy

robertst

posted on 20/2/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
does anyone have a pic of this? dont really fancy driling through my uprights and mushrooms... and having an ugly bolt through an already ugly enough upright...

Tom

mcerd1

posted on 20/2/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
I agree they dont come out. However the Donor cars Suspension leg / shock has a strip of metal with a hole in it welded to the side of the shock that aligns with the bolt hole in the casting, and its secured by the pinch bolt.

I think the Dax equivelent of your mushroom has a tag on it similar to the sierra/ granada struts (pics later if you want)

jacko

posted on 20/2/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations Tim & Tom not a pass but just as good
Im glad i could help you with the build . And a BIG surprise about the emissions
it just goes to show its worth going and trying even if you don't think it will pass ma be a lesson it every one
Graham

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Macbeast

posted on 20/2/08 at 06:10 PM Reply With Quote
So one M6 bolt right through from side to side ?

Going to be a bit of a strain for my cordless drill ( no electric in my garage )

Paul (Notts)

posted on 20/2/08 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
Not right throught to the other side.

I just drilled throught to the middle and put a nylock on there. Very simple with my cordless drill just make sure its fully charged

edit

will post pic at the weekend..

[Edited on 20/2/08 by Paul (Notts)]

roadrunner

posted on 20/2/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Pleased for you Tim, it's never as bad as you think it will be the SVA is it, well done mate.

tks

posted on 20/2/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

The Lower leg in the picture is just showing the bit I am talking about.
Not the best pictutre, but it is there.

Image deleted by owner

@coozer
The shocks have a strip welded to it wich is bolted to the upright, so in case the thing does come loose that bolt is holding the pieces together so you can stop and call the AA or limbhome....

Think its a good thing. M6 will be used.

also if you can drill it on from the back side then there is no forwarded projection.

How is thought about the nut not touching the innersurface complete flat, rings?????

Tks

The above comments are always meant to be from the above persons perspective.

NeilP

posted on 20/2/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
Passed May07 with no bolt in mushroom (Brum station)...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

LBMEFM

posted on 20/2/08 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Fail or pass I wish my build was so far advanced to be ready for the SVA. Maybe someday.
Barry

Macbeast

posted on 4/3/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
Paul (Notts) did you do a pic of the mushroom safety screw ?
tim windmill

posted on 5/3/08 at 09:37 AM Reply With Quote
Sorry did not take any photos, all i did was drill through the hub and mushroom from the front and tapped the hole 6mm this can be done easily without moving the wing stays or removing the wheel. countersunk the hole and fitted countersunk allen screws so that they fit flush,the hub was easy enough to drill, could not fit a nyloc nut on the inside due to the nut on the top ball joint. SVA retest the examiner said that this was fine as he could see that the screws went right through the hub and mushroom.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.