Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Yay! Running on bike carbs!
David Jenkins

posted on 23/2/08 at 04:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yay! Running on bike carbs!

You know how it goes... today I fixed up the throttle and choke cables, decided to go and get some petrol so that I could test that I didn't have any leaks in my new pipework and to set the regulator... and got to that point when I was sitting there thinking - "shall I?". I just had to connect everything up and spin it over!

A couple of tries and off it went - running rough, almost certainly because the carbs need balancing, but the intake roar did sound nice. It was also 'interesting' to see the haze hovering just in front of the trumpets!

They're in desperate need of a decent tune now... and a sausage filter and a throttle stop... but those are the next jobs in the coming week.

Anyone know of a decent rolling road in the south Suffolk / north Essex area who can cope with Megajolt and bike carbs on a car engine?

cheers,
David

jacko

posted on 23/2/08 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
Congratulations it good when it all comes to gether
sorry i don't know of a r/road down south
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
RichardK

posted on 23/2/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
Nice one fella, not sure if you put vacuum take offs on your inlet pipes but if you did and want to borrow my morgan carbtune 2 you're more than welcome.

Cheers
Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
x_flow57

posted on 23/2/08 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
David,
I rang these people
Ipswich Rolling Road
and they appeared to know what they were talking about, might be worth a call.
ATB Nick

<<<<<For Sale

DarrenW

posted on 23/2/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Very well done indeed. Im chuffed for you.

The induction roar is rather nice isnt it. Similar to twin webers but with a smattering of smugness

Did you see al 4 pistons moving when you rev it up? Mine didnt at first, bit of a bugger to get the ZZR carb diaphragms to seal. Car still ran as well.

David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/08 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vinnievector
,wot was your inicial set up to get things running .

The only thing I did was open up the main jet to 1.6mm. I have no idea yet whether the mixture is right or wrong - once I've done a few more details I'll get the Colortune out to check that I'm in the right ballpark, and then start to fiddle with things.

I wish there was some guide to the bike carb tuning process though...

David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/08 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
Did you see al 4 pistons moving when you rev it up? Mine didnt at first, bit of a bugger to get the ZZR carb diaphragms to seal. Car still ran as well.

Didn't get that far - after running for a minute or so I spotted a couple of petrol leaks that needed sorting, and didn't have time to run it again after I'd fixed them.

David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by x_flow57
David,
I rang these people
Ipswich Rolling Road
and they appeared to know what they were talking about, might be worth a call.
ATB Nick

Nick,

I took my car to them a while ago - I got the impression that they were 'reasonably competent' with carbs, but not brilliant. I ended up with the same settings that were on the car when I arrived there!

My main concern for the moment is to get the settings reasonably close - not too lean nor too rich - before I drive any distance.

[Edited on 24/2/08 by David Jenkins]

takumi

posted on 24/2/08 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
I would avoid LPS,

There idea of tuning is plugging a laptop into your ecu and downloading a superchips map.

I even doubt they know what a carb is...lol

David Jenkins

posted on 24/2/08 at 09:53 PM Reply With Quote
Rich,

Apologies - I responded to everyone's post apart from yours! makes me sound very ungrateful...

I don't have vacuum take-offs so I can't use that sort of gauge - I'll have to use one of those things you stuff into the front orifice...

cheers for the offer though.
David

chunkytfg

posted on 25/2/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
If you dont mind travelling a bit further afield then i'd visit PDQ over near slough.

Rob the dyno guy for cars is very very good and definately knows what he's on about.

David Jenkins

posted on 1/3/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Tuned it roughly by ear this morning - now running a lot smoother. I even have a decent tick-over now, at 800 - 900 rpm, something I never had with the down-draft weber.

Took it for a quick trip up the road and back - pulled very nicely, no hesitation on throttle-up, and sounded nice.

Distinct pong of petrol every time I accelerated, but that may well be due to the lack of an air filter. There are no signs of flooding or leaks, and the plugs are a reasonable colour (maybe a vague hint of a weak mixture - but I know that's not a reliable guide, before anyone says anything). I also put my Colortune on it, and that's looking reasonable (again, not a very accurate measurement, but useful as a guide).

So it's just a filter and a decent tune-up to go.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.