Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone live near these?
r1_pete

posted on 27/2/08 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone live near these?

Turbine

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
graememk

posted on 27/2/08 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
i think we all live near a few of them now

matt_claydon

posted on 27/2/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Very impressive!

Interesting reading in the comments:

quote:

There is a lot of incorrect or misleading information in this comment thread, so let me try to clarify a few things about turbine operation and safety.

This is definitely not fake, and that is a textbook example of turbine structural failure due to overspeed. That speed is far outside the design parameters, and the forces on the structure far beyond the design as well. Asking it to be able to survive that is like asking for your car to not be crushed when you crash it into a wall at 60 mph.

Turbine rotor speed is generally controlled in three basic ways. The first is simply the resistance of the generator itself. However if the generator fails or is disconnected from the power grid this source of resistance fails as well.

The second speed control method is by changing the aerodynamics of the rotor. On most modern pitch regulated turbines this involves changing the pitch of the rotor blades into the wind. When the blades are pitched 90 degrees out of the wind they generate essentially zero rotational force. On simpler stall regulated machines, which cannot adjust blade pitch, a tip brake is activated; the last few feet of the blades are pushed out a few inches and turned out of the wind. This achieves a similar aerodynamic effect. Either method is usually enough to stop a turbine fairly quickly, and this is the primary control mechanism. These systems have either springs or hydraulic accumulators and should automatically activate in case of other systems failure.

The third method is a mechanical brake. This is generally a massive disk brake, and may be mounted either on the low-speed input shaft, or, more commonly, on the high speed shaft connecting the gearbox to the generator. This brake is typically used as a parking brake during maintenance, but can be activated as an emergency brake as well.

Overspeed like this would require the turbine to be offline and not generating power, and for both the aerodynamic and mechanical brakes to fail. It can happen, but is very rare, and I am extremely curious as to exactly how this happened.

As to the fiberglass comment: the most common turbine blade material is glass fiber reinforced plastic. Carbon fiber is being used sometimes, but not often. Early turbines used steel blades, but their weight is just too high for today's large machines. The construction is somewhat like an airplane wing.

The towers are made of steel, if that gives you an idea of just how much energy was released when that thing finally gave way.

Nik282000 is wrong on his/her first point. The blades on almost all modern large turbines can turn completely out of the wind, and this is the primary braking mechanism.

And some general information on speed:

Most turbines shut down when wind speeds reach 25 meters per second (56 mph). Some shut down at 20 meters per second (45 mph). They can survive much higher wind speeds when they are not running.

Rotational speeds vary by model but generally range from 10 to 20 revolutions per minute. 15 RPM is a fairly common number. Most turbine models rotate at one or two fixed speeds. GE turbines have more sophisticated power electronics (and a patent) that allows them to vary their rotational speed as wind conditions change.

MikeRJ

posted on 27/2/08 at 10:55 AM Reply With Quote
I was quite surprised how quickly the energy in the blades dissipated, but I guess that's a huge advantage of GRP construction that they break up very quickly. I would imagine the older generators with alloy or steel blades could be very nasty in this situation.
Guinness

posted on 27/2/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
I used to work near the Nissan factory up near Sunderland. They bought a dozen or so Vespa fans second hand a few years ago. During "routine" maintenance the engineers applied the brake. It didn't hold, overheated and caught fire.

That closed the nearby A19 while it burned down. Apparently the engineers used the emergency exit, rather than take the stairs. I wouldn't really fancy abseiling the 60m or so to ground as the thing your rope is attached to burns down! You'd want to go pretty quick!

Directly opposite me now are about a dozen fans sitting on Blyth Quayside. I reckon the closest is about 500m away

Do you think I'm safe?

Mike

DarrenW

posted on 27/2/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah, quite safe. As long as there is no wind the bits of blade should only travel 490m.

dhutch

posted on 27/2/08 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
During "routine" maintenance the engineers applied the brake. It didn't hold, overheated and caught fire.

Sounds like fun!!

angus.d

posted on 27/2/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
Mike

Of course your not safe, your in Blyth !

Will see you tonight at Ne7ers meeting

Cheers

Angus

Guinness

posted on 27/2/08 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by angus.d
Mike

Of course your not safe, your in Blyth !

Will see you tonight at Ne7ers meeting

Cheers

Angus

Just about to put my stab proof jacket on and go for my lunch!

See you later!

Mike

coozer

posted on 27/2/08 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
A bit further down her in Hetton we have 4 that have been there a few years but have been out of commission since one of the blades snapped.

The next field has two new ones that are working...

There's two on the way to work in Haswell and two huge buggers right close to the A19 on the way to the Boro.

Is reliability the issue??

Steve

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.