Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Mid sized estate on a £4k budget.
bigandy

posted on 9/3/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Mid sized estate on a £4k budget.

Eveing folks.

I am looking to buy a mid sized estate, and I have a budget of around £4k. I am after something that is diesel, very reliable (No french rubbish!) and as good as I can get for the budget! Low tax and insurance would be nice too

I'm thinking that an Audi A4 (1999 ish) 1.9tdi is just about within that budget, and a fair bit of car for the money. However, I am not sure if this is a wise buy? They typically have around 100k ont he clock for this price, and I'm not sure if there are common faults etc.

If anyone can offer any advice, it would be appreciated cheers.
Andy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

pumpers

posted on 9/3/08 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
I'm going to get a Toyota avensis t3s next month. Just over your budget at about 4.5k but they are fully loaded and don't break!! Also not a bad looking car with lots of boot space. I'm not worried about buying one with over 100k on the clock, they are good for at least 200k !! WHICH car gives them a 5 star rating.

pumpers

coozer

posted on 9/3/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
4K? 8 Mondeo diesel estates. K,L,M plates, £500 each.

P reg one in my local paper a couple weeks ago for £100. Short T&T. Why pay more???

When one breaks chuck it away and use the next one.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

onzarob

posted on 9/3/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
The A4 is a wise buy with 100K on the clock or more.

MineS got 145K on it and it does 50mpg

Common faults are MAF and Temp sender issues, just need replacing.

Just check for good history and it shouldn't let you down. I bought mine with 125K on it 18months ago.

My only concern would be space there not the biggest estate by a long way

[Edited on 9-3-2008 by onzarob]

mookaloid

posted on 9/3/08 at 09:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree with the Toyota. They rarely go wrong.

Running an A4 on a budget would worry me. Very expensive parts - just price up a clutch on one of those - you'll see what I mean - it needs a new flywheel at the same time

Cheers

Mark

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

tjoh84

posted on 9/3/08 at 09:28 PM Reply With Quote
last year i brought a 1.9 tdi 130 golf estate 4200 from a garage and a lot of haggling as was up for 5495 had 72k now got 90k no probs just new tyres and break pads and service
onzarob

posted on 9/3/08 at 09:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mookaloid
I'd agree with the Toyota. They rarely go wrong.

Running an A4 on a budget would worry me. Very expensive parts - just price up a clutch on one of those - you'll see what I mean - it needs a new flywheel at the same time

Cheers

Mark

You'll be referring to the dual mass flywheel, check out how many other manufacturers use them now

Toyota's cost's £379

I Like the A4 and have found parts that I've bought to be no more expensive than other makes, Take it to a dealer and you will pay for the privilege, but I assume you won't need to

Coose

posted on 9/3/08 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Skoda?

Spin 'er off Well...

bigandy

posted on 9/3/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
To be honest, we don't need vast amounts of space, just something that is bigger than the Fabia vRS, that's why I was thinking the A4. The main thing that needs to fit in, is my large scale RC plane Regarding the servicing costs, then is the A4 really that much more than any other diesel estate car? I was thinking that there is not that much difference between the various manufacturers, making it a bit of a moot point really...

I did consider the "banger" approach, but I would prefer to spend a bit more on something that is a bit newer/posher to be honest!

The skoda option is actualy my second choice. the Octy estates seem like good value

I think a dredge through the Autotrader etc tomorrow is called for. Cheers
ANdy

Dammit! Too many decisions....

onzarob

posted on 9/3/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
when i bought my car i set a budget and then looked at Passat's, Octavia's and A4's, I ended up with an A4. But I would of been happy with any of them
Schrodinger

posted on 9/3/08 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
How about a Saab 93 estate 1.9tdi

Keith
Aviemore

bjw970s

posted on 9/3/08 at 11:23 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 96 Audi A4 Avant with 212K miles on the clock (not a misprint!!) and it does 50 mpg all day.

Just done a 350 mile round trip today to see the wife rallying in Sherwood Forrest, ended up towing her rally car! effortless, easy to drive with loads of torque.

Parts are surprisingly cheap, and can be sourced from dreaded ebay and German & Swedish - needed a new rear light 7 quid! Decided to change the shocks because I will be towing with it, got a full sports spring and shock kit (front and rear) for £125.

Local garage small where I get it serviced says that B5/B6 Audi's are very reasonable to service and reliable.

If it has been serviced regularly (as mine has) all the expensive bits have been done.

It has to have a good service history though.

Insurance is about 200 quid.

Until I bought this, wasn't a convert of high mileage German cars (my mate swears by them) but, this has changed my mind.

[Edited on 9/3/08 by bjw970s]Text

[Edited on 9/3/08 by bjw970s]

As someone else once said 'LOCOST my Ar**

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
hobbsy

posted on 10/3/08 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
*Some* cars with expensive dual mass flywheels have aftermarket one piece flywheels available for them at a much lower cost (and won't cause you as much grief).

Not sure which though!

jlparsons

posted on 10/3/08 at 09:02 AM Reply With Quote
Octavia 1.9tdi estate. Not quick but bomb proof and depreciates nicely for the second hand market.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

scotlad
Contributor

Posts 781
Registered 30/9/03
Location Edinburgh

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built MK Indy Blade, RH 2b Zetec, rebuilding locos

posted on 10/3/08 at 09:28 AM Reply With Quote
I've got an Octavia vRS estate. Ok its a petrol but its been very reliable, well built and its got a huge boot too :-) I'm sure the diesels are good too

Wonderous is our great blue ship that sails around the mighty sun, and joy to everyone that rides along!

chunkytfg

posted on 10/3/08 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
I've got a 51 plate Volvo V40 estate 1.9d thats a cracking car.

It's done 155k and i've had it from 100k 18 months ago and bar the usual stuff wearing out at that price it's been 99% reliable(i would say 100% but thats just tempting fate!!).

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.